SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #2,821 of 7,541
I don't have the 1A headphones but i do have the 1R and as i can say Love the combo of A17/MDR-1R, they seem to be driven well and i can't even go past vol. 10 they get unbearably loud

But yes i feel they (the 1R's) crave for more power at least for what i hear (no visual or numerical non-sense), they have a lesser bass impact that when being used on my laptop or on a Deck amp.

If the issue of the line out low voltage , then why i perceive it as very clean output, perfect for adding an Oppo HA-2 amplifier, IMO i think also another benefit of lower V would be less likelyhood for distortion?

I don't think so that buying a more expensive AK players or the NWZ-ZX series would significantly sound better than this "lowly" A10-series (1,200 or more USD for a dap hell, for that i'd better spend on a laptop, or save for another trip to Hamburg DE, or better invest in some good floor speakers with good amps, my german BF had those and a fisher amp, a pre-amp (don't know what is that LOL) but he daisy chained like 4 decks, the other was a tape deck and i think the last one was the CD player and his turn table)

Messed with my BF's turntable and played LP version of Louis Couperin's Ouvre de Clavecin, and then put my fiio x3 with the FLAC remaster, i found absoluetly no difference, the only tell-Tale was the hisssss and crickle popping sounds of the vinyls vs the clean sound of the FLAC files. i Know vynil is the better than Hi-res, analogue grooves

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2,822 of 7,541
I got my L5 yesterday and I'm disappointed with the weak line out relative to the iPod Classic's. I won't be using an external amp (I'd say about 60% - 70% level of iPod unscientificly based on volume position on amp for a given volume) Internal amp is such high quality if a little weak in power.

i know those posts from iCrap fanboys :evil: , for me is fine tough

I tend not to dig too deep into voltages and Vrms so when i read posts of those i got into :ksc75smile:  LALALALALALALA, I'm not listening mode :ksc75smile: . for me is that sound good and close to the original recording period, the same for FR graphs LOL

I assume you're joking when you call me an apple fan boy

The only apple product I've ever owned or would ever want to own is the iPod classic.Just love music and whatever device enables me to do that
If I'm to be labelled at all then it would more likely to be a Sony fan boy !
Doesn't alter the fact that the Sony's line out is weak and therefore wasted on my amp. Doesn't alter the fact I'm totally happy with the A15 either, I love it !

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,823 of 7,541
i know those posts from iCrap fanboys
evil_smiley.gif
, for me is fine tough

I tend not to dig too deep into voltages and Vrms so when i read posts of those i got into
ksc75smile.gif
 LALALALALALALA, I'm not listening mode 
ksc75smile.gif
. for me is that sound good and close to the original recording period, the same for FR graphs LOL

I assume you're joking when you call me an apple fan boy

The only apple product I've ever owned or would ever want to own is the iPod classic.Just love music and whatever device enables me to do that
If I'm to be labelled at all then it would more likely to be a Sony fan boy !
Doesn't alter the fact that the Sony's line out is weak and therefore wasted on my amp. Doesn't alter the fact I'm totally happy with the A15 either, I love it !

I also had an ipod classic thank god it feel from my ahnds turned on and died LOL, sunded so bad!, i regret this over not buying a walkman, I also love msuic i have like nearing 700GB 40,120 files that's lots

I did buy the classic so i was not teased by coworkers of not having iDevice, worked on a not so nice company environment, and also was tired of sony mx not releasing any capacity over 16GB on those times

so you don't recommend buying an amp for it?, not even the soon-to-be-released oopo HA-2? it see that it would get 220mW itno 16oHm but hope it cna drive my cans better (more body to their sound)

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,824 of 7,541
  To put it fair - lower line-out voltage means lesser SNR you are going to get from the same signal, which mean a lesser quality sound you are going to get after amplification as compared to a higher line-out voltage. You also need to understand a lower line-out voltage means more gain is needed for the amp, which further introduces more noise. There is a reason why a typical line-out signal from desktop gear is usually around 2V. That's not done so just to waste power but to ensure optimum SQ will not be lost from the source to the amp. A typical iPod line-out is around 0.55V or so, which is already not much to work with. But the line-out on the A10 series is indeed way too low. Sony could have matched the iPod line-out voltage without impacting the battery life significantly, but it would have made it much more compatible to the majority of portable gears that are designed to work best with Apple's stuffs. The point is, it might not be bad per se, but there's room for improvement.

Thanks for the explanation. I do still want to know if you feel while not optimal, is it likely to impact SQ in any meaningful way? And I agree, it was a mistake to not give more power to the LO as the battery life is stellar so a little loss there could be taken in stride.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2,825 of 7,541
So, even though in JRiver 20 all of my files have the album artwork, some albums when I copy them into the MUSIC folder on the A17 are missing the artwork. Is there anyway to update the files on the A17, or do I need to try reloading the images through JRiver? Not sure why this would help as JRiver was used to rip the music from CD so I'm confused. Thanks.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,826 of 7,541
  So, even though in JRiver 20 all of my files have the album artwork, some albums when I copy them into the MUSIC folder on the A17 are missing the artwork. Is there anyway to update the files on the A17, or do I need to try reloading the images through JRiver? Not sure why this would help as JRiver was used to rip the music from CD so I'm confused. Thanks.

progressive jpegs maybe? for this you'll need advanced photo edition program, or if they are not JPEG fromat used old MS Paint to save them as Jpg

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,827 of 7,541
  progressive jpegs maybe? for this you'll need advanced photo edition program, or if they are not JPEG fromat used old MS Paint to save them as Jpg

I'm not sure that would be the issue, it would be in the tagging of the files I think. I'm not sure that progressive loading jpegs are still used? Weren't they needed back in the day when everybody had ADSL connections and web sites loaded slowly? I have Photoshop anyway. I'm just curious if there is anyway with the A17 such as putting the image folder in the albums directory. So does the extension .jpeg denote a progressive file whereas a .jpg isn't progressive?

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,828 of 7,541

I'm not sure that would be the issue, it would be in the tagging of the files I think. I'm not sure that progressive loading jpegs are still used? Weren't they needed back in the day when everybody had ADSL connections and web sites loaded slowly? I have Photoshop anyway. I'm just curious if there is anyway with the A17 such as putting the image folder in the albums directory. So does the extension .jpeg denote a progressive file whereas a .jpg isn't progressive?

refer to my own post here, nope the extension has nothign to do wether if it's progressive or baseline

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728401/sony-nwz-a10-series/1695#post_11123598

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #2,829 of 7,541

Thanks for the explanation. I do still want to know if you feel while not optimal, is it likely to impact SQ in any meaningful way? And I agree, it was a mistake to not give more power to the LO as the battery life is stellar so a little loss there could be taken in stride.

There is no easy way to tell whether the DAC inside A10 series can output much higher voltage without any compromise to SQ (though I doubt that will ever be the case), nor is it any way to make any meaningful comparison. At the end we just have to make use of what we have. Personally I don't find the LO to be vast better or worst then the HO, and with a good amp the overall result can still be quite an improvement over HO no less.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2,830 of 7,541

There is no easy way to tell whether the DAC inside A10 series can output much higher voltage without any compromise to SQ (though I doubt that will ever be the case), nor is it any way to make any meaningful comparison. At the end we just have to make use of what we have. Personally I don't find the LO to be vast better or worst then the HO, and with a good amp the overall result can still be quite an improvement over HO no less.

Fair enough, cheers.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #2,831 of 7,541
so you don't recommend buying an amp for it?, not even the soon-to-be-released oopo HA-2? it see that it would get 220mW itno 16oHm but hope it cna drive my cans better (more body to their sound)
[/quote]

Sorry that's a DAC/amp ? A different kettle of fish which I don't know much about. All I know is you'd just be using the walkman as a storage device bypassing the DAC and amp.Which seems a waste might as well use a cheap compatable phone ?

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2,832 of 7,541
Sorry that's a DAC/amp ? A different kettle of fish which I don't know much about. All I know is you'd just be using the walkman as a storage device bypassing the DAC and amp.Which seems a waste might as well use a cheap compatable phone ?

yep a DAC + amp, looks so sexy like a BMW
biggrin.gif
 convertible Yeahhh.

buy a phone LOl for that i have my iphone, for makign calls, browsing internet and SMS'ng, I prefer my dedicated audio player for FLAC wooohooo and Hi-res ohhh god

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #2,833 of 7,541

Sorry that's a DAC/amp ? A different kettle of fish which I don't know much about. All I know is you'd just be using the walkman as a storage device bypassing the DAC and amp.Which seems a waste might as well use a cheap compatable phone ?[/quote]

Why is the DAC bypassed? The line level is post DAC processing is it not?

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2,834 of 7,541
Sorry I thought you were thinking of using the Sony digital output cable which I thought had been mentioned earlier and is supplied with Sony's PHA2 DAC/amp.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,835 of 7,541
Sorry I thought you were thinking of using the Sony digital output cable which I thought had been mentioned earlier and is supplied with Sony's PHA2 DAC/amp.

Gotcha. Is there actually a way with the A series to bypass the internal DAC at all? I will check that out for sure as that sounds interesting. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back