SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 5, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #10,876 of 14,773
Well I don't agree with that review at all. To me, the dx80 is more analytical and transparent than the dx90. It's also more dynamic.....but this is the zx2 thread, so we should try to keep it related to that somehow.
smily_headphones1.gif

True.I have not heard it so have no opinion other than what i read and there are several positive opinions as well.The DX200 though,that's something i'm looking forward to.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #10,877 of 14,773
True.I have not heard it so have no opinion other than what i read and there are several positive opinions as well.The DX200 though,that's something i'm looking forward to.

Well I hope it lives up to the hype , unlike the dx100, which I thought was MASSIVELY overpriced......really got burnt on that. Sound was too murky and grainy to me. As for the ZX2, I think sq is worth about $1000 aud, and not $1600. Build is exceptional though.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #10,879 of 14,773
My EU unit with the sound enhancements app disabled playing flac files with the stock player app is at 20-25% with JH13, 35-40% with Sig Pro and 60% with HE-500 (wich is loud enough but not optimally driven).

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #10,881 of 14,773
Power amp unlocker is on sale for 99c:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer.unlock

Great deal, it unlocks power amp alpha as well. I would buy it, at this great price.:beers:

it shows 3.99 euros , same as it was when i bought it some weeks back

only player i have been using since i installed the alpha version btw

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #10,882 of 14,773
I had a chance to do side to side auditions between my ZX2, the AK320, and the Onkyo.
I was open to buy one if I liked it more, but I didn't! To me the ZX2 is still the supreme leader on musicality, texture, spatiality, harmonics and timbre. The others sounded lifeless (AK320) and robotic (Onkyo) to me. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #10,883 of 14,773
I had a chance to do side to side auditions between my ZX2, the AK320, and the Onkyo.
I was open to buy one if I liked it more, but I didn't! To me the ZX2 is still the supreme leader on musicality, texture, spatiality, harmonics and timbre. The others sounded lifeless (AK320) and robotic (Onkyo) to me. Just my 2 cents.

I agreed that DP-x1 is very (robotic) too....analyzing and falling apart ...boring....and I ended up selling it. Zx2 is the supreme in the combination of everything, especially musicality.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #10,885 of 14,773
Must be a regional sale, and only work in some areas.
It's a great player, and I mainly use it as well.

for 0.99 it's a no-brainer i agree - great alpha version 
biggrin.gif

and i just want to say , that ZX2 has cured my DAP upgraditis - hoping my new CIEM will also act likewise 
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #10,888 of 14,773
I agreed that DP-x1 is very (robotic) too....analyzing and falling apart ...boring....and I ended up selling it. Zx2 is the supreme in the combination of everything, especially musicality.

Dude, you know I like you, and I certainly respect you, but you seem very inconsistent in how you assess the DP-X1. Your review gives it 4.5 stars yet here you call it robotic. That isn't what you have been saying in the DP-X1 thread where on a few occasions you have even said you rather miss it and you have been expressing that you don't think the ZX2 is the be all and end all of DAPs. I'm only bringing this up as you are really all over the place. Frankly I don't care, but if you are going to have a position, it should be more consistent, or you need to be more careful with the language you use to describe things. saying something is analytical and robotic essentially means it sounds bad, yet you give the DP-X1 a 4.5 star review. So what is your actually feeling? It seems in this thread you rate it poorly seemingly to agree with the ZX2 crowd, and in the DP-X1 thread you seem to suggest it is rather good, but not for you. So what is it?

I have owned the DP-X1 longer than you did, and it doesn't fall apart, although I'm not entirely sure what a DAP sounds like when it falls apart? Boring, okay, that is fair as I know you like a euphoric warm presentation and that is perfectly valid. Some people love the HD 650, others find it sort of dull.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #10,889 of 14,773
Dude, you know I like you, and I certainly respect you, but you seem very inconsistent in how you assess the DP-X1. Your review gives it 4.5 stars yet here you call it robotic. That isn't what you have been saying in the DP-X1 thread where on a few occasions you have even said you rather miss it and you have been expressing that you don't think the ZX2 is the be all and end all of DAPs. I'm only bringing this up as you are really all over the place. Frankly I don't care, but if you are going to have a position, it should be more consistent, or you need to be more careful with the language you use to describe things. saying something is analytical and robotic essentially means it sounds bad, yet you give the DP-X1 a 4.5 star review. So what is your actually feeling? It seems in this thread you rate it poorly seemingly to agree with the ZX2 crowd, and in the DP-X1 thread you seem to suggest it is rather good, but not for you. So what is it?

I have owned the DP-X1 longer than you did, and it doesn't fall apart, although I'm not entirely sure what a DAP sounds like when it falls apart? Boring, okay, that is fair as I know you like a euphoric warm presentation and that is perfectly valid. Some people love the HD 650, others find it sort of dull.

I don't take position, I give credit where it is due. You haven't seen my complaints about Zx2 ? The god damn lower-trebles is missing it sparkles and resolutions+details....it is good, yet it still has places where I need improvements, mainly the dynamic range. You know that was the real reason I purchase the DP-X1 ? It had 125db dynamic range, powerful amps, and top tier DAC ?

Now, again, I give credits where it is due. I wouldn't change it, DP-X1 were very transparent, detailed, satisfying trebles, but that is like counting every plays and plucks, but not enjoying it. It had better soundstage than Zx2, but I couldn't stand the analytical nature of it sound signatures. After all, my goal is to look for a good device that is so musical to enjoy music. I can analyze my music well enough that I don't need a too clinical and sterile gears. That were why I said up on sound signature, it is personal preferences. Specifications wise, DP-x1 beats Zx2. There were even section that DP-X1 did not distort, and yet Zx2 does. I complained about this all the time !!!

I agreed with the other fellow for calling DP-X1 being robotic as I believe he means it is too transparent, cold, detailed, and it were exactly what I observed ? I don't say DP-X1 fall a part...I meant it music, that fall a part, like I already stated, there were not enough transitional energies continuity, and it makes each details and plays kind of being counted for, but not musically played out for. I don't even know how better I can address this. I do not want to count my music....I want to hear everything in my music while enjoying it.

Now, build quality ? I only brought up what I observed so people were made aware, and it was the 2.5mm jack. Did you see me complaint about it ? Nah....I was the first one to observe and fix it. I am that confident with my DIY skills as you had seen me doing to my gears. That is my other hobbies, I love DIY, and tinkering with things. I make things better and more satisfying when it is in my hands.

After all, I stand firm on my observations. Zx2 is supreme at this moment about it blending in everything well enough and not lacking too much of anything. Is Zx2 perfect ? No...hell no....I can not wait to move away from it. DP-X1 is with very good soundstage and presentation, details, and control, but ....it lacks the musicality I need to enjoy music. At the same time, these 2 have very different sound signatures, and ofcourse we all know music is upon personal preferences. Therefore, I do what I must do, I enjoy what I like, but I have to give credits where it is due. So, tell me, why do I need to take side again ? The only side I take is primarily Audio quality then secondary is my preferences.

Have you asked yourself why was I the person to find, clarify, and confirm about zx2 improvements by doing : disables sound enhancement app, using TRRS, use 3rd party app (Poweramp alpha) ? Because Zx2 is not perfect.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #10,890 of 14,773
@Whitigir, I know all that about you, which is frankly why I responded to your post the way I did, I was getting confused and shocked by the somewhat mixed messages. Your last post here that triggered my reply post (which I do regret a little as the tone was harsher than it should have been) you said boring, robotic analytical, all in a very short sentence. When I read that certainly I get the sense that the author really didn't like something, and quite a bit as those are indeed strong, negative terms when applied to musical reproduction, and certainly not what I would associate with an author who would then give the device a 4.5 star review?

I know what you are saying, and yes in many ways you are very consistent giving your opinion, but this does seem to stray far from your normal decorum. In the DP-X1 thread as you know, people don't blast the ZX2, or at least if they do I have missed it? I know many people do get personally vested in their gear choice, and therefore when the gear is attacked they take it personally; I would be lying if I said that it doesn't effect me. I think it was just the stacking of three really strong negative sentiments in a row like you did, and I kid you not, ironically just before I had read your DP-X1 review so I was quite surprised. Anyway, I'm tempted to remove my comment as I think I should have simply ignored it and not gone off on you like that, so I am sorry. As I've said, I respect you, you are certainly very knowledgeable and always quite polite to everybody else, I have learned things here from you so I feel a little bad for this. I'll wait to hear back from you, and if you want I'll remove my posts..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back