SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 9, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #6,916 of 14,773
Congratulation ! Remember to burn it in, you can read it when first time turning it on. Sony recommend 100 hours ? I see it stopped changing at 250 hours mark. It would sound meezzzhhhh out of the box. I recommend listening to it while burning in, and witness the changes/transformations for yourself. A privillage inky with brand spanking new device.

I am sure you will love it

thank you (and everyone else who chimed in initially).

is there some kind of built-in timer to track the burn-in period? also, being that this is the japanese import model, is there anything special i need to do for use in the states? i do know that it supports english and japanese only out of the box.

doing some additional reading on phones to pair this with and although i'm still intrigued by the momentum 2.0's, the oppo pm-3s are now under consideration.

i currently have senns hd 280 and 360 pros.

as always, thoughts are definitely welcome. :)

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #6,917 of 14,773

Congratulation ! Remember to burn it in, you can read it when first time turning it on. Sony recommend 100 hours ? I see it stopped changing at 250 hours mark. It would sound meezzzhhhh out of the box. I recommend listening to it while burning in, and witness the changes/transformations for yourself. A privillage inky with brand spanking new device.

I am sure you will love it

is there some kind of built-in timer to track the burn-in period? also, being that this is the japanese import model, is there anything special i need to do for use in the states? i do know that it supports english and japanese only out of the box.

doing some additional reading on phones to pair this with and although i'm still intrigued by the momentum 2.0's, the oppo pm-3s are now under consideration.

I actually think it's best to use the zx2 normally and let the burn in gradually build up, no need to rush into it, you will reach its maturity sooner or later, the Japanese or international version, has only a minor differences, but works the same, the Japanese version has some apps which is only useful if you can access it, and includes a wm port cover which attached to the headphone plug not found on the international version.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #6,919 of 14,773

This is what made me buy the M2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Can't draw any comparisons between the PM-3 and the M2, though....

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #6,920 of 14,773
I actually think it's best to use the zx2 normally and let the burn in gradually build up, no need to rush into it, you will reach its maturity sooner or later, the Japanese or international version, has only a minor differences, but works the same, the Japanese version has some apps which is only useful if you can access it, and includes a wm port cover which attached to the headphone plug not found on the international version.

Yupe, let her burn in naturally, and if you choose to rush her a little bit, remember to let rest :D at least a couple hour a day. There is nothing specifically that you need to set up. Just remember to start her up and tell her to display English :D and the WM port cover is extremely useful. I didn't know that was exclusive either, thank you :wink:

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #6,921 of 14,773

Yupe, let her burn in naturally, and if you choose to rush her a little bit, remember to let rest
biggrin.gif
at least a couple hour a day. There is nothing specifically that you need to set up. Just remember to start her up and tell her to display English
biggrin.gif
and the WM port cover is extremely useful. I didn't know that was exclusive either, thank you
wink.gif

Too bad the cover cannot be purchased, a cleaner at work probably got rid of mine a few days ago, so now I don't have it, I will purchase a few from china tmr, but it just covers the wm port, and does not hold onto the headphones plug.

gimme yours.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #6,922 of 14,773
Yupe, let her burn in naturally, and if you choose to rush her a little bit, remember to let rest
biggrin.gif
at least a couple hour a day. There is nothing specifically that you need to set up. Just remember to start her up and tell her to display English
biggrin.gif
and the WM port cover is extremely useful. I didn't know that was exclusive either, thank you
wink.gif

What is a "WM port cover"?

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #6,923 of 14,773

sounds like slow and steady wins the race. that's fine with me. for something this high-end, i'd prefer to burn it in properly.

i'm thinking about what albums i might first listen to...the maiden voyage might have to be dsotm.

really cool about the wm port cover. glad i turned japanese (i really think so). :) 

This is what made me buy the M2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Can't draw any comparisons between the PM-3 and the M2, though....

started to read some of that thread. good stuff thus far. i've always been curious about planar magnetic headphones/speakers, hence the interest in the pm-3s. having used senns mostly (happily so), was thinking of trying something different. though the m2s look like the strike a decent balance between sound, comfort, and visual appearance.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #6,924 of 14,773
  What is a "WM port cover"?

the wm port is a slot on the unit to which you plug the cable used for both charging and transferring music (data) to the device. it is proprietary to sony. the japanese unit come with a cover you can place over the port when the cable is unplugged to prevent dust and other contaminants from getting into the unit.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6,925 of 14,773
The cleaner where I work probably vacuumed  it away a few days ago. have to find myself a new cover.

Quote:

sounds like slow and steady wins the race. that's fine with me. for something this high-end, i'd prefer to burn it in properly.

i'm thinking about what albums i might first listen to...the maiden voyage might have to be dsotm.

really cool about the wm port cover. glad i turned japanese (i really think so). :) 

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #6,926 of 14,773
I'd do the same if I had the Z7 and the PHA-3. It sounds so ridiculous that one has to to splash out $200 on a cable to get the most out of these headphones, but apparently it really does make a tremendous difference. 

In the end I chose to invest in a pair of true flagship headphones and a portable tube amplifier. I hope my signifcant other will never find out... :atsmile:  

Btw. the MDR-ZX7 sound exactly alike out of the ZX1. And no I think the Kimber cable does not sound better, just a little different. I say that because the shorter 3rd party cables for both, my HD650 and HD700 do so. A little different, not better but also not worse. The Kimber looks much better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back