SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 15, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #601 of 14,773
I wish it had GPS, larger screen, multi band phone, compass, world time, alarm clock, water cooker and FM radio. That would be the DAP from the future - oh wait, you say that exists already? Woooah :wink: NAVI-FI, TALK-FI, EAT-FI, SLEEP-FI. 

Just joking. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #603 of 14,773
  Sony Japan (finally) officially announced the ZX2 this afternoon. The product pages are now live:

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX2/spec.html

There are also some early previews from av.watch and phile web too:

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/review/20150115_683238.html

http://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201501/15/15418.html

Despite being let down by having no increase in output power, the Japanese tech media has reported an overall sound quality improvement from the ZX1, but that's the ¥45,000 question....

15 mw @ 16 ohms

1400 Eur price tag

I must be getting something wrong or no wonder how Sony has come so close to bankrupcy. If the founder came back to life he would fire loads of people.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #605 of 14,773
What was so hard to improve output power to put a full HD display and update the software to 4.4? To much for little improvement over zx1

It's all about the sound(hopefully
biggrin.gif
) and battery with Sony.The portability we can kiss goodbye now since it's another brick,albeit a beautiful one.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #606 of 14,773
What was so hard to improve output power to put a full HD display and update the software to 4.4? To much for little improvement over zx1

Do you really need full HD display just for a DAP? Seriously, the display is basically just there to navigate menus and view album art for a few seconds.

However, I agree that the power output is too weak for a premium device. Even a lowly Cowon J3 has 29mw (itself barely adequate for anything more than casual listening).

Clearly, Sony did not feel inclined to invest in updating the in-house silicon chips from the ZX1, even though they are clearly too conservative in their meagre power output. And before anyone counters that this is because they want long battery life - the J3 has double the power output and still manages more than 20 hours from a tiny 1120mah battery.

ZX2 should have at least 70mw into 16Ω, and ideally more than 100mw into 16Ω.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #607 of 14,773

Do you really need full HD display just for a DAP? Seriously, the display is basically just there to navigate menus and view album art for a few seconds.

However, I agree that the power output is too weak for a premium device. Even a lowly Cowon J3 has 29mw (itself barely adequate for anything more than casual listening).

Clearly, Sony did not feel inclined to invest in updating the in-house silicon chips from the ZX1, even though they are clearly too conservative in their meagre power output. And before anyone counters that this is because they want long battery life - the J3 has double the power output and still manages more than 20 hours from a tiny 1120mah battery.

ZX2 should have at least 70mw into 16Ω, and ideally more than 100mw into 16Ω.

But then we wouldn't be inclined to buy the pha-3 
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #609 of 14,773
ZX2 headphone output power confirmed by Sony Japan: 15mW + 15mW(JEITA 16Ω/mW)

Pretty much the same output as the ZX1 if you're looking at driving power alone. The numbers obviously don't tell much about the sound signature, and how clean the signal is.

The extra capacitors are for improved noise filtering noise and the much hyped up super capacitor is confirmed to act as a power backup to ensure a stable current.

OMG ! I found the ZX1 to be on the quiet side and now something that cost nearly twice with same output, that's a shame

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #610 of 14,773

At last, a functional real quality case that works. Not the after thought rubbish that is usually supplied.
Good one Sony, now where is that nice retina display?

I am looking at two different cases here?  

One with bottom button loop lock looks like a holster style only which was similar to the ZX1 supplied case just with the addition of the access to buttons this time round and bottom photo is like my old X series fold out leather case. 

Good to see Sony finally listening to us on some things although I can only imagine Sony dare not make a 1K Walkman without proper cases this time round unlike the ZX1 otherwise I think they would of got quite a lot of customer dissatisfaction emails in their in box. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #611 of 14,773

I am looking at two different cases here?  

One with bottom button loop lock looks like a holster style only which was similar to the ZX1 supplied case just with the addition of the access to buttons this time round and bottom photo is like my old X series fold out leather case. 

Good to see Sony finally listening to us on some things although I can only imagine Sony dare not make a 1K Walkman without proper cases this time round unlike the ZX1 otherwise I think they would of got quite a lot of customer dissatisfaction emails in their in box. 

They should also pre-apply a screen protector as well.  I never quite understand why mfg just don't ship device such as this with the screen/film protector on.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #612 of 14,773
  They should also pre-apply a screen protector as well.  I never quite understand why mfg just don't ship device such as this with the screen/film protector on.

My AK100 Limited Edition Sapphire Blue did. One front and back applied out of the box and a set of spares.

Cheers,
K

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #613 of 14,773

My AK100 Limited Edition Sapphire Blue did. One front and back applied out of the box and a set of spares.

Cheers,
K

I wish others will follow too.  I think FiiO does it on theirs.  To think of it my modded AK100II also have film protection too.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #614 of 14,773

I have never understood this with any device be it a phone, tablet or in our case a Walkman when they cost a few hundred a throw on average.  Just another way of them thinking they will make money out of the screen protectors despite a million third party companies producing them although I will say the one's Sony make for the Xepria phone and tablets are very good and the best ones I have ever had the normally arduous task of applying perfectly even though Sony again will over charge for one by at least 50%! 

Always intrigued me why they have never incorporated into the manufacturing process as a machine could easily apply one of this on the assembly line.  
Also more so when your new ZX2 cost best part of a grand! 

Another thing we will just have to harp on about on these Sony threads for them to see for penny to drop and sink in and they might finally adopt it to a future model ; )

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #615 of 14,773

However, I agree that the power output is too weak for a premium device. ...ZX2 should have at least 70mw into 16Ω, and ideally more than 100mw into 16Ω.

Well.. if the DAC inside is good enough, then may be I can put my HUGO aside and only attach to the ZX2 either my TU-05 or my TUR-06  (2 great portable tube amps).  

May be this will provide a nice warm signature..? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back