SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 22, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3,451 of 14,755
Are you using any sound adjustment settings? I have the AK240 and the ZX2 and find that the ZX2 can vary greatly in sound quality due to these settings. Might be the source of such differing opinions. I have been using the ZX2 for over a week now and the biggest issue for me remains the "discharge hiss" that is present when starting the unit. Sony makes clear that the unit needs about 100hrs of burn-in play to reach its best but, even after a full week of 24/7 playing, the "discharge hiss" is still present.

On another note, I have run the ZX2 with the Audezee EL8, Noble K10, Shure 846 and JH Audio Layla and the ZX2 performs well from a volume/clarity perspective. However, I also tried all of these with a friend's PHA-3 in the mix and there was a significant improvement in SQ. Can't speak to the DAC differences or "cleanliness" of the amp but there is an obvious improved difference. Only downside was the size of the bundled package but this combo really gives the AK240/Hugo combo a serious run for the money.

PHA-3 ha one of the top dog DAC from ESS, and dual Texas instrument amplification chips with one each channeL while ZX2 has S-Master. If you have a chance to compare them. Please do so.

Regarding the burn-in from Sony, give the player 220 hours or around that mark for a complete burn-in. :D

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3,452 of 14,755
The initial burst of hiss will never go away. That is "by design" although I appreciate you don't like it!

You raised a good point about sound adjustments. If you use the stock player, and use a modifier like Clear Audio+ it actually makes the sound louder. If you are using Tidal or Spotify, choosing the same mode actually makes the sound quite a bit quieter. I am wondering if a reason for this is that when using the stock player, it scans the track for the peak sound levels of the track and ensures that EQ adjustments won't cause clipping. But for 3rd party players, it does not have this information, so the more EQ you apply, the less volume you get. This can cause a radical difference if you A/B the same track in Tidal and in your own music collection.

I know the Chord Hugo is very popular, and understandably so. But from a brief audition I had with it, albeit good, I felt it overpriced. For example consider the Oppo HA-1 which is a desktop unit...it costs less and definitely sounds better. I realise you are paying for portability, but nonetheless it also compromises the power supply, DAC and balanced outputs. So the PHA-3 represents much better value for money and probably gets to within 80-90% of the Chord Hugo. The downside is if you are European you need to import the Japanese one to get the rechargeable battery version of the PHA-3.

The stock player were confirmed by Sony engineer to have the volume output at lower level. I don't think it scan the track, but it was simply coded at 60% of the ZX2 volume capability. Then with using EQ, the stock player can boost certain frequencies. It is very clear and clean EQ. Still, I don't appreciate it.

I find using any gimmicks of "Clear audio+" or DSHEE stuff will have "clipping" issues.....yuck.

I simply use stock player, and disable the Sound adjustment program in setting, this will release the volume to it purest level

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,453 of 14,755
Mar 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #3,455 of 14,755
The AKG 3003s are still regarded very highly. In fact some have chosen them over the Noble K10. They both sell at a similar price point, so I think opinions of better, equal or not as good are entirely individual. I personally have compared to the 846s and prefer the AKGs. The 846s are a bit more sensitive so will be louder at any volume setting than the AKGs.

But if you were to consider a change then I would look at comparing to something like the Nobles. But like I said, if you read online here, you will see people who prefer the AKGs, and those who think the K10 is an upgrade!
Thank you.
Much appreciated!

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3,456 of 14,755
  For those who are interested in a high quality leather case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CC-ZX2-SOMES-Leather-case-for-Walkman-NW-ZX2-Japan-Premium-Limited-New-/351330449587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cced38b3 , it's also sold in Sony's japan site.

BTW you do get free shipping.
wink_face.gif

Is this a joke? $395US for that ugly crap.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #3,457 of 14,755
Are you using any sound adjustment settings? I have the AK240 and the ZX2 and find that the ZX2 can vary greatly in sound quality due to these settings. Might be the source of such differing opinions. I have been using the ZX2 for over a week now and the biggest issue for me remains the "discharge hiss" that is present when starting the unit. Sony makes clear that the unit needs about 100hrs of burn-in play to reach its best but, even after a full week of 24/7 playing, the "discharge hiss" is still present.

On another note, I have run the ZX2 with the Audezee EL8, Noble K10, Shure 846 and JH Audio Layla and the ZX2 performs well from a volume/clarity perspective. However, I also tried all of these with a friend's PHA-3 in the mix and there was a significant improvement in SQ. Can't speak to the DAC differences or "cleanliness" of the amp but there is an obvious improved difference. Only downside was the size of the bundled package but this combo really gives the AK240/Hugo combo a serious run for the money.
Like you, I've had the ZX 2 for about a week, and have used it without any sound settings while it is in its burn in period.
I've been so struck by its performance weigh out the PHA 3 that I've been listening to it that way, especially since I've been traveling and don't need the extra bulk.
I fully intend to try all of the suggested permutations in time, but right now I'm just a wonder struck kid (actually I'm no spring chicken) enjoying my tunes.
BTW, sometimes I note what seems to sound like discharge hiss, and sometimes I don't. At any rate, with or without, doesn't seem to bother me.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #3,458 of 14,755
Like you, I've had the ZX 2 for about a week, and have used it without any sound settings while it is in its burn in period.
I've been so struck by its performance weigh out the PHA 3 that I've been listening to it that way, especially since I've been traveling and don't need the extra bulk.
I fully intend to try all of the suggested permutations in time, but right now I'm just a wonder struck kid (actually I'm no spring chicken) enjoying my tunes.
BTW, sometimes I note what seems to sound like discharge hiss, and sometimes I don't. At any rate, with or without, doesn't seem to bother me.

Are you saying ZX2 perform better than the pHA-3 in sound quality alone ?

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,459 of 14,755
Mar 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #3,461 of 14,755
  Just in case, if you have a Japanese NW-ZX2 they have a "possible" 1 free album present (1 in 3 wins)

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/lovemusic/present/

it has to be Japanese NW-ZX2, other wise it won't register.  You'll also need to use Internet Explorer with the ZX2 connected to your PC (not sure of Mac)

You can also get up to 560yen credit.  since it's up to, it only applies for one song.

Just went through the registration process (Google Translate is surprisingly accurate and helpful. if a bit literal).

Looks like I only got the store credit for Mora. Which, you'll also have to register an account with in order to use the credit code. But yes, it looks like it's good for one 24/96 track, or two tracks recorded in 320Kbps AAC format.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,462 of 14,755
What trick is that?

Out of curiosity again, I tried the volume boost trick on ZX2, compared to ZX1 the SQ of ZX2 did not degrade as much as that on ZX1, my Z7 can be well driven with volume lower than 50%, if you guys found your phone seems have not enough juice out of stock setting ZX2, just try this trick to see if the raw power of ZX2 can drive your phone well.

Does the sound degrade when this "trick" is implemented?

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,463 of 14,755
Just the same trick on ZX1, just to disable the default sound tuning application.

Lower down the volume,
Go to Setting / Apps / ALL / Sound adjustment / then push "Disable"

I don't seem to be able to do it.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #3,464 of 14,755
Does the sound degrade when this "trick" is implemented?

The answer ? Not exactly. It is probably the purest hardware the sound can be....still, the stock app can affect it in some ways. :D. I prefer having this trick done while slightly adjusted clear bass to +1 prior to it. Best battery life, and purest sound quality it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back