SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 22, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #3,439 of 14,755
  Purchased through Crutchfield but they keep pushing back their ETA date and now it shows unknown.  Should I just pull the trigger and get one from Japan?

I ordered one from a 100% rated Japanese vendor J-Made on Amazon. They shipped within hours of the order last Tuesday, and I should have it in hand on Monday or Tuesday this coming week according to the tracking info. I actually contemplated pre-ordering from Crutchfield, but they weren't 100% sure when they'd have it in stock. At least I saved a few bucks getting it from Japan.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #3,440 of 14,755
Is there any benefits getting the US version instead of getting it from Japan beside the price?

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #3,442 of 14,755
Just in case, if you have a Japanese NW-ZX2 they have a "possible" 1 free album present (1 in 3 wins)

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/lovemusic/present/

it has to be Japanese NW-ZX2, other wise it won't register.  You'll also need to use Internet Explorer with the ZX2 connected to your PC (not sure of Mac)

You can also get up to 560yen credit.  since it's up to, it only applies for one song.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #3,443 of 14,755
Oh yes; listening thru AKG 3003s but thinking of getting Shure 846s
Not to get off thread, but does anyone have an opinion on that?
Do I need to...or should I stick with what I have??

The AKG 3003s are still regarded very highly. In fact some have chosen them over the Noble K10. They both sell at a similar price point, so I think opinions of better, equal or not as good are entirely individual. I personally have compared to the 846s and prefer the AKGs. The 846s are a bit more sensitive so will be louder at any volume setting than the AKGs.

But if you were to consider a change then I would look at comparing to something like the Nobles. But like I said, if you read online here, you will see people who prefer the AKGs, and those who think the K10 is an upgrade!

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #3,444 of 14,755
  Hi all! My question is that, could this Sony NW-ZX2 drive with enough volume the Audeze LCD2? Many thanks for any answers.

Audeze recommend an amp with a minimum of 1W of power! The ZX2 is only outputting 15mw per channel. Now while I think Audeze's suggestion is overkill (potentially enough dynamic range to do permanent damage to your hearing...but if you want to simulate a pneumatic drill then....), it does show you how far out the ZX2 is for driving these. The PHA-3 with balanced connection would be quite suitable though at 300mw per channel.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #3,445 of 14,755
Audeze recommend an amp with a minimum of 1W of power! The ZX2 is only outputting 15mw per channel. Now while I think Audeze's suggestion is overkill (potentially enough dynamic range to do permanent damage to your hearing...but if you want to simulate a pneumatic drill then....), it does show you how far out the ZX2 is for driving these. The PHA-3 with balanced connection would be quite suitable though at 300mw per channel.

If they do recommend it, then there is a reason why they do. Headphones need the correct amount of power to drive it to the fullest potential. This performance is the sound quality performances, and not neccessarily volumes loudness.

1000 mw vs 150 mw ? Huge differences. Follow the manufacturer specs for best result :cool:

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #3,446 of 14,755
If they do recommend it, then there is a reason why they do. Headphones need the correct amount of power to drive it to the fullest potential. This performance is the sound quality performances, and not neccessarily volumes loudness.

1000 mw vs 150 mw ? Huge differences. Follow the manufacturer specs for best result
cool.gif

They do explain why...because some music can have dynamics over 120dB. But the thing is you REALLY don't do much good for your ears with that. And to my knowledge no portable set-up can achieve that kind of power or dynamic range. So it is always gong to be a slight compromise, but the PHA-3 can achieve 300mw per channel in balanced mode, which I think should still be a good sound. But the output of the ZX2 is a complete no-go.....

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,447 of 14,755
Mar 22, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #3,448 of 14,755
That's a good way to put it
Listening right now to an ELO playlist on TIDAL and it sounds WONDERFUL.

Are you using any sound adjustment settings? I have the AK240 and the ZX2 and find that the ZX2 can vary greatly in sound quality due to these settings. Might be the source of such differing opinions. I have been using the ZX2 for over a week now and the biggest issue for me remains the "discharge hiss" that is present when starting the unit. Sony makes clear that the unit needs about 100hrs of burn-in play to reach its best but, even after a full week of 24/7 playing, the "discharge hiss" is still present.

On another note, I have run the ZX2 with the Audezee EL8, Noble K10, Shure 846 and JH Audio Layla and the ZX2 performs well from a volume/clarity perspective. However, I also tried all of these with a friend's PHA-3 in the mix and there was a significant improvement in SQ. Can't speak to the DAC differences or "cleanliness" of the amp but there is an obvious improved difference. Only downside was the size of the bundled package but this combo really gives the AK240/Hugo combo a serious run for the money.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #3,449 of 14,755
For those who are interested in a high quality leather case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CC-ZX2-SOMES-Leather-case-for-Walkman-NW-ZX2-Japan-Premium-Limited-New-/351330449587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cced38b3 , it's also sold in Sony's japan site.

BTW you do get free shipping.:wink_face:

Mine passed thru Canada Customs last Friday. I'm home this coming Friday. Hope it's not too sloppy for the ZX1 as my ZX2 needs to wait till the end of April due to Vacation next month.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #3,450 of 14,755

Are you using any sound adjustment settings? I have the AK240 and the ZX2 and find that the ZX2 can vary greatly in sound quality due to these settings. Might be the source of such differing opinions. I have been using the ZX2 for over a week now and the biggest issue for me remains the "discharge hiss" that is present when starting the unit. Sony makes clear that the unit needs about 100hrs of burn-in play to reach its best but, even after a full week of 24/7 playing, the "discharge hiss" is still present.

On another note, I have run the ZX2 with the Audezee EL8, Noble K10, Shure 846 and JH Audio Layla and the ZX2 performs well from a volume/clarity perspective. However, I also tried all of these with a friend's PHA-3 in the mix and there was a significant improvement in SQ. Can't speak to the DAC differences or "cleanliness" of the amp but there is an obvious improved difference. Only downside was the size of the bundled package but this combo really gives the AK240/Hugo combo a serious run for the money.

The initial burst of hiss will never go away. That is "by design" although I appreciate you don't like it!

You raised a good point about sound adjustments. If you use the stock player, and use a modifier like Clear Audio+ it actually makes the sound louder. If you are using Tidal or Spotify, choosing the same mode actually makes the sound quite a bit quieter. I am wondering if a reason for this is that when using the stock player, it scans the track for the peak sound levels of the track and ensures that EQ adjustments won't cause clipping. But for 3rd party players, it does not have this information, so the more EQ you apply, the less volume you get. This can cause a radical difference if you A/B the same track in Tidal and in your own music collection.

I know the Chord Hugo is very popular, and understandably so. But from a brief audition I had with it, albeit good, I felt it overpriced. For example consider the Oppo HA-1 which is a desktop unit...it costs less and definitely sounds better. I realise you are paying for portability, but nonetheless it also compromises the power supply, DAC and balanced outputs. So the PHA-3 represents much better value for money and probably gets to within 80-90% of the Chord Hugo. The downside is if you are European you need to import the Japanese one to get the rechargeable battery version of the PHA-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back