SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #7,606 of 45,723
Someone on the previous page said they weren't sure what Media Go is for and that they just drag and drop the files.

I've barely used a computer in the last few years as I've been using an iPad (big mistake - it's hard to remember even pretty basic 'how to use a computer' stuff now!).

I've found Media Go really good because it's found all my music from all over my computer and when you put a CD in it recognises it and it's all on one screen to put it into the Sony.

So if I want to use the method the other poster used, how can I put music on the Sony without using Media Go? Can't see how I'd be able to rip a CD on FLAC without Media Go. Tried the other night and it wouldn't get the cover art for a start.

@Lemieux66, that was me.  I guess it's just different strokes.  All of my Flac files are in one directory on my Synology server, so I already know where all my files are.  I don't need an app to find them.  As for ripping CDs and tagging files, I've been using Xrecode for about a year now and it works great.  I have a couple of files that Sony doesn't display the artwork for, but not many.  I'll try to get that figured out today.

http://xrecode.com

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #7,607 of 45,723
Let the player burn overnight.......Just listened to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories on my commute....I've never felt so tired listening to this album before. Just the PRAT and toe tapping factor are at a minimum. Still burning it in continuously, while working. Hope it gets better ><.

I experienced the exact same thing. It was only after 300hrs of burn in that I found myself wondering about not sending it back, and 500hrs before the improvement in PRaT stopped the music sounding rather turgid and uninvolving.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #7,608 of 45,723
I really don't know.....i guess sony was wise in putting the burn in time for 200 hrs....because right now I'm having quite a miserable time. I think gerel is having a better time cause he's using a DD driver that is perhaps more on the thicker side. For the Andros that are already so airy, I feel like the ZX2's darker sound is a better match than the WM1A.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #7,609 of 45,723
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #7,610 of 45,723
  I really don't know.....i guess sony was wise in putting the burn in time for 200 hrs....because right now I'm having quite a miserable time. I think gerel is having a better time cause he's using a DD driver that is perhaps more on the thicker side. For the Andros that are already so airy, I feel like the ZX2's darker sound is a better match than the WM1A.

I think it has a lot to do with the synergy with the IEM of choice.  I'm nowhere near close to the recommended burn-in time, but already the WM1A sounds great with my Empire Ears Zeus CIEM.  I bought the WM1A because of the great price on Amazon.Uk, thinking I could always sell it and recoup my money, but after just 1 day, I'm afraid it's a keeper (and I'll likely sell one of my other DAPS).

If you've got other IEMS, try them out and see if they're a better match for the Sony.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,611 of 45,723
I tried that at a local dealer, I noticed it had a negative impact on head stage vs the stock Sony adapter and a decent USB cable (I was using the ALO green line), try it and elf me know what you think. Ended up not getting it for that reason.

Stock very neutral amp just sounds like player with a bit more drive

Custom bit more lively and a hint more analogue warmth to it

My favourite by a mile clear and precise eventhing sounds bang on, makes the Z5's earn their keep glad I bought them now.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #7,612 of 45,723
with all respect when i see people still stacking totl daps to use with iems, that does not sit with me well, and questions about the whole dap starts to arise

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #7,613 of 45,723
I think match is the correct word, yes my z5 and z7 ate dark sounding

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #7,614 of 45,723
with all respect when i see people still stacking totl daps to use with iems, that does not sit with me well, and questions about the whole dap starts to arise

Probably a bad example using the iem's, as I actually don't use the stack with them or the other iem's I have really just wanted to see how I could push them with a bit more drive of the amp in balanced , iems are my out and about phones and work totally fine with the dap especially now it's been decapitated , I got the amp for my Z7's and but mostly my alpha prime's and T1's etc which definatley need the amp IMO.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #7,615 of 45,723
Really enjoying my system. Christmas present to myself. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Look forward to my Kimber Kable 4.4mm upgrade cable to arrive on Friday.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #7,617 of 45,723
I once had a stack and found to be bulky and messy, Nw-A17 + oppo HA2 o ended scratching the Walkman screen which was plastic to begin with, and the improvement was minimal with XBA-A3.

Now with z7 I use high gain at 60-80 or low gain at 80-90

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #7,618 of 45,723
Well As Much I Hate To be the one adding an amp....It sounds better through the alo cdm than without...so if you are home...why not?

I think it depends upon what you are using to listen with. With the IT03 it does excellent. The 1A also does well with my Utopia but a more powerful clean amp brings out more of the sound but the Sony doesn't sound bad at all and has depth and layering. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #7,619 of 45,723
I can tell @Dithyrambes 1A is Warm, it sits in the middle of ZX100 and 1Z, I feel sometimes a bit overwhelmed by the bass (already Dark DD /DD-BA) but most of times is fine, i don't want to say i am that overwhelmed, just bass so impactful and runbly something i wasnt really used to. Still presents tons of details and layering of the music notes.

ZX100 was brighter for me IMHO, the bass was boomy because underdriven but was more bright player, the problema i had with MDR-1R super bright i had to sell them for goodI am also using

Direct source ON, perhaps you can try EQíng yours to see if you like it, i did EQ mine with an overwhelming álbum, had to turn the bass down

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #7,620 of 45,723
Have been doing some direct comparisons of the 1A and 1Z, using same volume, same song, same headphones, etc. Only difference at this point is that the 1A has ~20 hours on it while the 1Z has ~80 hours (got the 1Z ~3 days before the 1A). Here's some of my early thoughts. (Note: all listening so far is SE with the Vegas - my 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter is awaiting me at home but unfortunately I'm gone all week). 

NW-WM1Z: 
- Heavy! But feels so freakin' solid. Luckily I don't run around with this one pound brick in my pocket. 
- The sound is an unusual combination of more analog smoothness with a good level of detail retrieval. It's hard to describe, but very easy to listen to. Very musical and engaging. 
- Wider sound-stage than the 1A (and more consistent) 
- Pairs really well with my Campfire Audio Vega's. The 1Z controls the Vega's with real authority. They're both power hitters and they mesh well together. 
- Authoritative and well controlled bass. 
- Never any distracting harshness. 
- Preferred over my AK100/Mojo/CV5 stack. Finally a DAP that I can say that about! Looks like it's time to push the trusty stack off of reference duty. Also, the stack in total weighs about the same as the 1Z, so won't take that much getting used to the weight. 
- Just noticed in looking at the above picture that the tone of the displays is a bit different! Not a SQ thing, but hadn't noticed the color-warmth difference. 
- The included case is pretty cool, and I like having the flap that covers the screen for protection. Might want to get one like that opens like a book rather than a flip phone. Unfortunately we have very few choices here in the US, and my trip to HK has been pushed back a month (drat!). 

NW-WM1A:
- Lighter! 9.4 oz versus 16.1oz! The 1A is only around 60% of the weight of the 1Z, but it really feels like half or less. 
- UI and such works exactly the same (well, once it was changed the 1A from the EU limitations it came with ). 
- Not as resolving in some ways, but more in others. More of a "cool" or "analytical" presentation than the 1Z, but in some ways is also a bit more veiled in some passages. I find female vocals to come across really clearly (almost too clear) but piano sounds a bit veiled. 
- More of a "solid-state" sound to the 1Z's more "tube/analog-like" sound - as in analytical versus a bit warmer. 
- Might pair better with different IEMs than the Vegas. 

Shared thoughts on both the 1A and 1Z:
- Construction is top-notch, best I've ever seen in a DAP. Sony did it right. I love the leather on the back as it let's you set it down softly on surfaces.
- Cool to have SE and balanced outputs and not have to worry about plugging the wrong cable in (sorry LHL - it's a risk!). 
- The UI is really smooth. The ~1/2-1 second delay is a bit annoying, but once you get used to it I find it not really bothering me anymore. The structure of the screens and menus and such is pretty intuitive.
- I like the 4-way swiping you can do from the "playing now" screen, as well as the four "go-to" buttons on the bottom of the touch screen. They're not really buttons, per-se, but the four selections are the same in any screen. 
- The charging is really quick using my Anker 20000 mAh battery, and the battery lasts really long - well over a day in my experience with SE. Compared to my AK100/Mojo/CV5 stack this is forever. 

TL;DR - For me NW-WM1Z>>NW-WM1A, although still have to burn both in and then try out the 4.4mm balanced output. Can only dream of what the 1Z will sound like with a good balanced cable and fully settled in. The 1Z displaces my AK100/Mojo/CV5 stack as my new portable reference. As such, the ~3x price difference is worth it for me, but as another hobby-member told me the other day, I'm crazy. 
beyersmile.png

Cheers 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back