SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #7,561 of 45,723
The player doesn't sound as lush or musical anymore...it sounds a bit more analytical...

The treble though more extended sounds a bit grainy and crispy....There is much less bass quantity in comparison, especially to the ZX2, as it its a more brighter tuning than a warm analog tuning. Its more towards QP1R signature than the ZX2...

The soundstage does seem bigger, but also for me it feels odd. It was wider but didn't have much depth. What I would prefer for a real bigger soundstage is if there was more screen room and everything scaled according to the screen space, giving a more natural presentation.

Taken select quotes from the above: I can't say in comparison directly to the QP1R or ZX2 but when I had a brief comparison of my friends WM1A to my WM1Z the brighter less analogue signiature and lack of depth were immediately apparent. This was what I said a week ago about the two:

So I had a post-New Year meet up with a friend who has purchased the WM1A (warehouse deal) and I had a very brief comparison... both WM1s are interesting units because certainly for thicker sounding IEMs I personally find the WM1A to pair slightly better in terms of a little clarity while taking a noticeable step back in terms of depth and layering... highs were slightly more easily discerned. Presentation seemed a touch more airy while also being flatter. The WM1Z does not sound slower in any way nor any less resolute, just heavier in its presentation, warmer sounding with a liquid mid presentation and noticeably warmer signature. Certainly the WM1Z has a more emotive 'rounded' analog sound... and this is where I'll digress because I wanted to be sociable and didn't spend much more time drawing comparisons. Those were my initial takeaways from a brief comparison.

You'll definitely need to give it a little more time to burn-in and yourself to get used to the signiature though. My friend is doing the 'leave it play 24hrs' thang and has said to me that he's found the presentation to settle nicely, now he's added a good 100hrs on (plus it was an Amazon return with some hours already).

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #7,562 of 45,723
So the 1A is closer to neutral in it's signature, ...and the 1Z is warmer? Which signature is closer to Paw Gold in it's overall tone?

I didn't have my LPG with me to compare directly to the WM1A but I can be pretty confident in saying it sounds closer to the WM1Z in tonality than the WM1A. LPG is the main 'other' player which I compare to the WM1Z in terms of 'that' level of sound quality with a warm but resolute presentation.
There are some differences between the two but the the things which are similar are also the differences I noted above when comparing the WM1A to the WM1Z;
- Both LPG & WM1Z have superb depth, resolution and layering capabilities
- Both LPG & WM1Z err on the side of a warmer SQ with an extremely textured, palpable bass response
- Both LPG & WM1Z have a somewhat analogue sound signiature albeit the WM1Z noticeably warmer
- WM1Z has much wider soundstaging capabilities with the LPG being narrower. It's the one Achilles heel of the LPG
- WM1Z has a heavier presentation with a big 'thickness' to its sound while still maintaining its width
- WM1Z has even more thickness in its mids. Male vocals have more gravitas and there is a little more emotion in female presentation
- The LPG has more easily discernable highs which make it seem more detail - the WM1Z doesn't have less detail, it's just its 'thickness' means there's more to process
- The LPG has the slightly more visceral, upfront aggressive presentation

Comparing LPG, WM1Z and QP1R... if you take the QP1R to be the most analytical and the WM1Z to be the most analogue sounding, the LPG sits somewhere between the two, leaning a smidge closer to the WM1Z's warmer presentation.
The WM1Z never gives me simblance even with the harshest recording and is also the most forgiving of the three with poor recordings.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #7,563 of 45,723
I didn't have my LPG with me to compare directly to the WM1A but I can be pretty confident in saying it sounds closer to the WM1Z in tonality than the WM1A. LPG is the main 'other' player which I compare to the WM1Z in terms of 'that' level of sound quality with a warm but resolute presentation.
There are some differences between the two but the the things which are similar are also the differences I noted above when comparing the WM1A to the WM1Z;
- Both LPG & WM1Z err on the side of a warmer SQ with an extremely textured, palpable bass response
- Both LPG & WM1Z have a somewhat analogue sound signiature albeit the WM1Z noticeably warmer
- WM1Z has much wider soundstaging capabilities with the LPG being narrower. It's the one Achilles heel of the LPG
- WM1Z has a heavier presentation with a big 'thickness' to its sound while still maintaining its width
- WM1Z has even more thickness in its mids. Male vocals have more gravitas and there is a little more emotion in female presentation
- The LPG has more easily discernable highs which make it seem more detail - the WM1Z doesn't have less detail, it's just its 'thickness' means there's more to process

Comparing LPG, WM1Z and QP1R... if you take the QP1R to be the most analytical and the WM1Z to be the most analogue sounding, the LPG sits somewhere between the two, leaning a smidge closer to the WM1Z's warmer presentation.
The WM1Z never gives me simblance even with the harshest recording and is also the most forgiving of the three with poor recordings.
So which dap errs to the cold side?

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #7,565 of 45,723

I agree with all of the above, owning both, with a few comments:
  1. I don't find LPG so analog sounding, it is less smooth than the Sony to me
  2. The LPG is narrower but has incredible depth the foundation of the sound is very solid
  3. LPG is clearly less thick in the mids

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #7,566 of 45,723
So which dap errs to the cold side?

Hmm... Astell & Kern AKXX0(?) Replace X with numbers at random with scattergun.

I'll probably display my ignorance here and possibly I should link a glossary of terms as I use them in case they differ from what others mean but I tend to think of 'warm' to mean good body to their presentation, especially below 200Hz, large, richer, weightier sounding with 'sweeter' highs. I tend to think of 'cold' as sacrificing musicality and body for a thinner sound.
To me the QP1R is relatively flat but still with a touch of emphasis in its bass presentation and plenty of extension 'on top'. LPG is warmer with chunkier bass and the WM1Z is the warmest heaviest sounding. Not sure if I own a 'cold' DAP as I tend to steer away from that signiature.

One of the difficulties is it's a bit relative and dependant on gear/pairings and the only components I own which I'd consider flat are on my desktop setups. The best portable gear is still behind the best desktops... though I know this is relative. Most portable gear sounds coloured in one way or another to my ears... hmm, aside from the Shure KSE1500. That's about as frequency flat, neutral in signiature as portable gets.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #7,567 of 45,723
Is anyone using the 1A with the MDR 100X?  Am I right to be thinking the sound over LDAC Bluetooth is better than it has any right to be, or do I need to send back my Headfi membership card? 
eek.gif

I assume the Headphone is acting as DAC so I'm thinking it is placebo BUT I remember Jude saying something about how the combination really sings, so I'm wondering why that might be?

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #7,570 of 45,723
Someone on the previous page said they weren't sure what Media Go is for and that they just drag and drop the files.

I've barely used a computer in the last few years as I've been using an iPad (big mistake - it's hard to remember even pretty basic 'how to use a computer' stuff now!).

I've found Media Go really good because it's found all my music from all over my computer and when you put a CD in it recognises it and it's all on one screen to put it into the Sony.

So if I want to use the method the other poster used, how can I put music on the Sony without using Media Go? Can't see how I'd be able to rip a CD on FLAC without Media Go. Tried the other night and it wouldn't get the cover art for a start.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #7,572 of 45,723
Jan 17, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #7,573 of 45,723
Finally all plugs protected :D And yes I already scratched the Dignis.

Dignis leather case very easy to get scratches, my Opus #2 case already had many scratches but giving it more character, I love it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #7,574 of 45,723
Anyone have the Miter case?

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #7,575 of 45,723
Got mine today, too.  I don't think the order matters much.  I removed the volume cap at 1.0 and then upgraded the firmware.  And agree, it was really easy.

For those of you who have updated firmware of your 1A from Amazon.uk. Did u download the firmware for Sony.uk or Sony.eu? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back