Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,713 of 2,453
Been looking into getting a DAP which will mainly be paired up with these phones. Anyone here familiar with those devices/has any recommendations?
NW-WM1Z or NW-WM1A

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,715 of 2,453
Cheers! Think im gonna have to check the WM1A out in person, been looking mostly at that as well as the Sony NW-ZX507 and the FiiO M15. However i'm fairly put off by the android aspect on the latter two, even if i'd make good use of Tidal.
They drain the battery vs the 1A. So take that into consideration.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #1,716 of 2,453
Is Z7M2 end-of-life?

It's out of stock almost everywhere in EU.

Perhaps there is Z7M3 coming?...
just sony experiencing distribution issues on their luxury products after covid. it's not just headphones their tvs, phones etc are on backorder in some places.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,717 of 2,453
Pads finally arrived. They're quite soft and thick, added clamp force. If it wasn't so thick I would rate it 10/10 when it comes to value.

Soundwise I think these are on par with my dekoni tx00 pads, vs stock pads it has less midbass wider soundstage and requires more volume as your ears now are more distant to the drivers, stock was too warm sounding for me especially when they're new. These are zmf knockoffs but imho made of real leather.

Front and back measurements are 25mm and 35mm.
Compare to dekoni tx00: 20mm, 30mm

Stock top: 20mm bottom: 30mm

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_081303.jpg
    IMG_20200710_081303.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,718 of 2,453
Has anyone compared these to the Denon D5200?
Something didn't sound right to me about the Z7 but I've heard these have been improved upon alot. I don't dislike my D5200 but I am using a WM1A, recently got a good price on a Sony MUC-B20SB1 cable and then thought why not go Sony all the way?

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,719 of 2,453
Earlier I had the Z7s, and I did all of the usual mods. Now I've got the Z7M2s and I removed the earpads, just to have a look. I was intending to have a look inside the cups, but the baffle appears to be stuck down with 4 blobs of white silicone-type glue. Both cups are the same. Has anybody else noticed the same?

MDR-Z7M2 driver.jpg

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,722 of 2,453
It is. The whole headphone is beautifully made. I haven't tried EQing mine yet, but it will be good to try Oratory1990's settings when they're ready.
Check out the following site (google translated French to English): https://bit.ly/3hhyGct. Using fabfilter plugin in Audirvana. Excerpted from conclusion " With the equalization I suggest, the gap is further reduced with the Z1R and makes the Z7M2 one of the best closed headphones on the market"

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #1,723 of 2,453
I only listened to some of the Tinashe tracks, as free Spotify playlists still require us to register.

I think both headphones suit that kind of music, but the Z7 emphasizes bass while the Z7M2 brings vocals and other high mids forward, including finger snapping. To me the Z7M2 has the same powerful warm lows as the Z7, but because the Z7M2's vocals are so much more prominent some Z7 owners are initially finding this difficult to get used to. That should not concern you.

The Z7M2 is clearly designed to address the criticism that the Z7's bass is so prominent the midrange seems recessed, resulting in veiled vocals and highs. As you seem particularly focused on vocals, I expect you'd be very happy with the Z7M2.
The Z7M2 also addressed the cup resonance and sibilance found in the Z7. While the mids can seem recessed on the Z7 they can also seem shouty as all hell due to some peaks. Still love my Z7, though I do feel the Z7M2 is a better headphone. Can't believe some reviewers said they preferred the Z7 over the Z7M2. I promise you none of those reviewers still had a Z7 on hand to directly compare and were going solely off their romantic memories of the Z7. And the Z7 is romantic if anything, all sweet and gooey like. Z7 would definitely take you on a real date before trying to "Netflix and chill" you.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #1,724 of 2,453
The Z7M2 also addressed the cup resonance and sibilance found in the Z7. While the mids can seem recessed on the Z7 they can also seem shouty as all hell due to some peaks. Still love my Z7, though I do feel the Z7M2 is a better headphone. Can't believe some reviewers said they preferred the Z7 over the Z7M2. I promise you none of those reviewers still had a Z7 on hand to directly compare and were going solely off their romantic memories of the Z7. And the Z7 is romantic if anything, all sweet and gooey like. Z7 would definitely take you on a real date before trying to "Netflix and chill" you.

Will soon discover all this my self I bought a nice second hand z7m2 with only 50 hours on them 🤩🤩🤩

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #1,725 of 2,453
Will soon discover all this my self I bought a nice second hand z7m2 with only 50 hours on them 🤩🤩🤩
Nice! When I got my used pair last year the prices were so down I got them for a real steal. Like I haven't seen one even close to that cheap since. I'm talking under $200 cheap. I got my Z7 for under $200 as well. Got real lucky on both of them. I wouldn't take less than $300 for either one right now. And honestly wouldn't even sell them for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back