Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,741 of 2,454
It was mentioned that in a sale in Australia last year the price was AU$489 (you'll have to do the conversion), retail has gone up to AU$1699.
Wow. A used MDR-Z1R goes for that much here. Why did demand go up?

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,742 of 2,454

The entire Sony lineup was massively discounted due to oversupply. Now that the oversupply is over, prices went back to RRP.

The Z7M2 actually went as low as $438. I got it for that price a year ago or so.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #1,743 of 2,454
The entire Sony lineup was massively discounted due to oversupply. Now that the oversupply is over, prices went back to RRP.
At one point, I was going toe to toe with the MDR-Z1R and Focal Stellia, but went with the Z7M2 with the Kimber Kable. Go fig

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,744 of 2,454
I don't know what the factors were.
Initial poor sales due to average reviews? then there was a new appreciation for it?
I don't imagine production costs would have caused such a price shift.
**just read the post above

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #1,745 of 2,454
I don't know what the factors were.
Initial poor sales due to average reviews? then there was a new appreciation for it?
I don't imagine production costs would have caused such a price shift.
**just read the post above
They work great with the Sony DAPs. Much better than average. But that was my experience

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #1,747 of 2,454
You made a great choice @Gamerlingual. Premium closed backs with bass are pretty rare.

Was the oversupply just in Australia? There was also a $300 price mistake sale from b&h on December of last year.
Did you like them more than the MDR-Z1R and Focal Stellia?

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #1,748 of 2,454
I so far dont really know what to expect from z7m2 but I think they will show them self good!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #1,749 of 2,454
They work great with the Sony DAPs. Much better than average. But that was my experience
I tried the Z7 balanced from my ZX300 and was impressed that such big drivers could sound good from a portable device, which is slightly less powered than the WM1A.
I just got a very good price for a Kimber cable (I use with my Denon D5200) so the Z7M2 is something I'll keep an eye out for secondhand.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #1,750 of 2,454
Was the oversupply just in Australia? There was also a $300 price mistake sale from b&h on December of last year.

Can't say for other regions as I only know Sony suppliers within Australia.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #1,751 of 2,454
Can't say for other regions as I only know Sony suppliers within Australia.
My currency is similar to yours - your general pricing for Sony is very reasonable, even comparing to Japan. Getting the WM1A for AU$1364 less your tax was a bargain. I'm now keeping an eye on Addicted to Audio for specials.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #1,752 of 2,454
I tried the Z7 balanced from my ZX300 and was impressed that such big drivers could sound good from a portable device, which is slightly less powered than the WM1A.
I just got a very good price for a Kimber cable (I use with my Denon D5200) so the Z7M2 is something I'll keep an eye out for secondhand.
You know, I didn’t put that in person. How is it that headphones with such large drivers can be easily powered by the Sony DAPs? Maybe that’s why more people might appreciate the MDR-Z1R over the Stellia. I mean, the Sony thread is by far more active than Stellia. But I line both of those closed bigs. Go fig

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #1,753 of 2,454
Did you like them more than the MDR-Z1R and Focal Stellia?
Both of those are out of budget for me, and I actually like the smaller size of the z7m2 compared to the z1r. Also it's newer than the z1r by 2 years so maybe they've learned a few things and put it into the z7m2. Also I've always thought of first gen models as beta tests.

You know, I didn’t put that in person. How is it that headphones with such large drivers can be easily powered by the Sony DAPs? Maybe that’s why more people might appreciate the MDR-Z1R over the Stellia. I mean, the Sony thread is by far more active than Stellia. But I line both of those closed bigs. Go fig

Yeah I'm not sure how they do it that as well as how they are capable from reproducing 4hz-100khz either at such low impedance. Previous people have been able to drive these just fine from their LG phones, and MacBook Pros can do so as well. It's probably super super thin, or their electronics are super super efficient. Sony's R&D team might just be the biggest of all headphone companies and might have found some magical solution. Focal only under 300 employees for comparison. That's another reason I like Sony, they've first handedly a Bluetooth standard, spatial audio standard, balanced connection standard, active noise canceling, their own balanced armature drivers (iirc all other balanced armature drivers are made by two companies) and a bunch of other things that other foundational technologies that other companies use. They seem like the most complete audio company out there, wouldn't be surprised if they worked some magic in their DAPs.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,754 of 2,454
To finance my WM1A I sacrificed having a potable amp/dac and decided to just have one constant portable sound - that was coming from using iems, having since found new appreciation for my overheads I am happy that my D5200, and hopefully in the future the Z7M2 can be driven adequately from my WM1A.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,755 of 2,454
Got it. Perhaps it just means I’m a little too lucky and/or spoiled. Hmm... :thinking: But I try to work hard for what I do. But the reason I bought the Z7M2 was because it was the best closed back for me, but I was close to getting the MDR-Z1R but the Kimber Kable was better on the Z7M2.

Focal Stellia just didn’t sound as good for the price, but I think it’s price value could be around the $1,000 to $1500. But most of that money goes to the materials and yet the Beryllium drivers didn’t do as much for me, although I wonder at times if those drivers were used as a marketing gimmick for the Utopia and Stellia. They Beryllium Drivers sound good on the Stellia but not so much on the Utopia.

Still, the price of some of these headphones is just insane.🧐😰

Users who are viewing this thread

Back