Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 9, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #17 of 2,453
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 2,453
The previous model has a big port near the cable jack and one hole covered by the hangers. So I don't see more venting, only a different port placement. And a more elegant, but more complex, cable routing. The biggest difference is the new driver including the beautiful Fibunacci grille. I am sure I cannot avoid buying it, that's for sure.
There’s another photo that shows 4 or 5 ports at the bottom of the headphone cups.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 2,453
There's a brief reports from an attender in hk:
Apparently more open soundstage
More highs
Less plastic bass
Engineer says he reduces resonance by making the pair more open and modifying the absorbing materials
Stock cable is the same with the z1r's this time
Bass is still a little boomy under the stock so users can still try out the Sony/Kimber or Axios

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 2,453
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 2,453
There’s another photo that shows 4 or 5 ports at the bottom of the headphone cups.

I just updated the post with a photo that shows the ports at the bottom of the ear cups! the same ports exists at the top of the earcups as well for the venting to be more even. Thanks everyone for following the thread!

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #26 of 2,453
There's a brief reports from an attender in hk:
Apparently more open soundstage
More highs
Less plastic bass
Engineer says he reduces resonance by making the pair more open and modifying the absorbing materials
Stock cable is the same with the z1r's this time
Bass is still a little boomy under the stock so users can still try out the Sony/Kimber or Axios

Ive edited in my impressions! what you've listed is interesting and i hope to maybe hear the z7mk2 again soon so that i can re-ascertain what ive heard. Thank you all for following the thread!

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #27 of 2,453
Excellent coverage. I like your videos.

Silly question - is it a bad time to buy the Sony MDR-Z1R? Maybe a new version will be launched, such as MK2. What are your thoughts should you speculate?

Eventually are you planning on a comparison video between this new Z7 vs your Z1R?
As they changed the Z7 in the direction of the Z1R, why would they change the Z1R so soon?

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #30 of 2,453
QQ20180808231619.png

This dude put zelkova cups on his th900, in the sale thread
Wish he took a 3d scan to share so people can print these out in some magnesium cups or something haha

As for z7mkII it seems the magnesium dome is absent, which i guess is logical. So it would have to be somewhat inferior technically at least, if not at the subjective listening level, as human hearing is limited. But its nice they addressed the issues of the original one.
come on Sony! :D give us some wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back