Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Oct 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 644
I ordered mine yesterday too! But I won't be getting them until tomorrow... they're shipping today.

Excited for these! I have the 10RBT and while they sound good I want more bass!

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 644
I have the XB700 and the XB500. I haven't received my XB950BT yet but I'm going to put money down that it's a good cross between the XB700 and the 1RBT.

I'm not a big fan of the Y cords so these wireless/single cord headphones will be my end all headphone, I bet! I'll post my opinion and comparisons when I get mine.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 644
Quick notes... the 3.5mm audio cable is proprietary. Nobody has mentioned that yet. The jack is slightly recessed so your standard 3.5mm jack won't fit. You can stick it in but all you hear is choppy audio out of the right ear. So the only cable that can work with this headphone is the one that comes with it. 

I find this headphone a bit clunky and ugly in comparison with the 10RBT. That one was sleek and sexy and this thing is huge and cumbersome. The sound is GREAT though. Much better than the 10RBT.

Sound is not quite as bass-y as the XB700 without the bass boost on or when wired. With Bass Boost sound is very similar.

I'll elaborate more later. Overall these are the best sounding Sony Headphones I've ever bought. $200 is a good price, though they could have tossed in a cheap bag, oh well. Wish they were a little more slim but the design probably influences the heavy bass.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #20 of 644
I'm sad to say that I ended up returning the headphones. I really wanted to like them as I found them really comfortable and stylish. The sound is also really really good for it being bluetooth but it just had a little too much bass for my liking. That said, if you are a basshead, you cannot go wrong with these. I know that Sony's xb line didn't do so good last time but I am glad to say that these were a definite improvement. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #21 of 644
As MrXiro mentioned these are pretty clunky! Here is a quick size comperasion with the V-Moda M100:

I've to admit that these are very comfy but not nearly as comfy as the Sony MDR 1R . Something between the V-Moda and the Sony 1R.

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #22 of 644
I put up a quick review from Amazon that I wrote:

I just got these headphones and going to leave my first impressions here. I'm a big Sony headphone fan I've used and reviewed quite a few pairs. Last year I got the MDR-10RBT and before that the MDR- BTN200 and the MDR-1RBT. I couldn't justify the cost of the 1RBT as $400 for BT headphones is just too much... the BTN200s (about $130) are great toss around headphones. Good for exercise, very "satisfactory" sound and they last 40 hours. The 10RBT was the best cross between them. They were nicely designed and sounded close enough to the 1RBTs to justify the $200 ($150 on sale at most places around Xmas) and the design are the best I've seen.

These new MDR-XB950BT are the successor to the XB line. I've previously own the XB700s and the XB500s. Both great headphones with a unique look and amazing sound. I'm going to forgo the XB800 and XB920 as I hated the design on those. The XB950BT are the best sounding Sony headphones I've ever owned... and for a very fair price at $200 retail. The sound stage isn't quite as wide as the 10RBT but it completely makes up for it with rich full bass. This isn't a purists' headphone though... it's bass heavy and glorious sounding. One slight issue I had with the 10RBTs was that it was slightly on the neutral level, which don't get it confused with bad. It is a great sounding headphone but it doesn't make you want to rock out. Also it was slightly a little quiet at highest level and side by side with the XB950BT, they feel a little thin and shrill at the highest level.

The XB950BT corrected every sound issue I had with the 10RBT and even surpasses the 1RBT with great, fun sound. This is a bass lover's dream. I don't particularly recommend this for acoustic songs though it's not bad sounding they are a bit boomy when listening to clean acoustic guitar. Forget about it with the Bass Boost on. Rap, EDM and modern pop songs sound amazing though with or without the bass boost.

The bass is not quite as strong as they are on the XB700s and merely from memory the sound is very similar just not as bass heavy without the bass boost. Definitely not if you're plugged in for passive/wired listening... and about that... here is my first negative point.

The 3.5mm cable is proprietary... (see my photos, it's the one on the farthest left). Yes, the only audio cable you can use for these headphones is the one that come with it. The headphone jack is recessed and so the headphone has an extra plastic piece that inserts into the headphone and keeps it in there. Any other cable won't go all the way in and you only get sound out of the right earphone. The problem with this is, is that previously I loved using old wired cables with iPhone controls when the power was dead or if I just didn't feel like using Bluetooth (which would sometimes cut out when I'm out walking). So pretty much I will never use these headphones wired... not a huge deal as this is why I bought BT headphones, but I'm disappointed that they would make such a dumb design choice, they easily could have made a bigger hole so any headphone could fit in there. Even my old 1R headphone cable won't fit.

Speaking of design choices; I mentioned how I disliked the previous XB (XB400/XB800/XB920) series earlier. They are big, boxy and hideous and so are these. Where the 10RBTs were streamlined and sleek, these guys are just big and slightly obnoxious... They not even charming like the XB700s with it's giant "pillow" like cushions... The one positive is I like the color scheme with it's deep reds, minimal silver and lots of dark dark black.

I'll keep updating this with more info as I get to know these headphones better. I really really love the sound and I'll probably be selling my 10RBTs, design isn't everything, sound is and these sound amazing.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #23 of 644
Thank you guys for sharing your feedback. Good stuff.

I am looking for bass headphones which should make me feel the bass. I am confuse between MDR-XB950BT vs Beats studio wireless 2.0 Vs Parrot zik 2.0.

if anyone here own MDR-XB950BT and you have also tried Beats studio wireless 2.0 then how would you compare its bass sound quality with sony MDR-XB950BT?

As I know Parrot zik 2.0 is only available yet in Europe. Most of you might haven't tried it yet.

But At least you guys can give me good picture of  sony MDR-XB950BT Vs  Beats studio wireless 2.0?  

Your feedback would be appreciated.    

Cheers, 

H

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #24 of 644
Your statement about the Parrot Zik made me check to see if they're available in the US yet, the 2.0 are on pre-order from B&H.  I should look into them, I must admit I'm kind of liking the look of their blue.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #25 of 644
Thank you guys for sharing your feedback. Good stuff.

I am looking for bass headphones which should make me feel the bass. I am confuse between MDR-XB950BT vs Beats studio wireless 2.0 Vs Parrot zik 2.0.

if anyone here own MDR-XB950BT and you have also tried Beats studio wireless 2.0 then how would you compare its bass sound quality with sony MDR-XB950BT?

As I know Parrot zik 2.0 is only available yet in Europe. Most of you might haven't tried it yet.

But At least you guys can give me good picture of  sony MDR-XB950BT Vs  Beats studio wireless 2.0?  

Your feedback would be appreciated.    

Cheers, 

H
For the money, the xb-950bt is a much better headphone. The beats studio wireless does have a slightly cleaner sound signature but the bass on the xb-950bt hits harder and is tighter. I also found the beats to be slower than the 950bt. So if you are dead set on a basshead headphone, these are what you want.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 644
For the money, the xb-950bt is a much better headphone. The beats studio wireless does have a slightly cleaner sound signature but the bass on the xb-950bt hits harder and is tighter. I also found the beats to be slower than the 950bt. So if you are dead set on a basshead headphone, these are what you want.

Thanks for honest feedback. 99% I am going for xb-950bt.

Kindly can you explain bit further what did you mean by Beats studio wireless is ''slightly cleaner sound signature'' than xb-950bt ? 

I also heard beats bass sounds better on wire rather then on Bluetooth . On other side you know that on wire xb-950bt bass-boost button doesn't work, is this deal breaker? or due to APT-X  wireless is loss less on xb950bt?

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 644
  Your statement about the Parrot Zik made me check to see if they're available in the US yet, the 2.0 are on pre-order from B&H.  I should look into them, I must admit I'm kind of liking the look of their blue.

Yes, blue one looks nice indeed, Parrot Zik 2.0 sounds much better than zik 1.0. but still they lack APT-X. Battery life just 8 hours. Active Noise cancellation is much improved near to Bose 25.  

http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/442935-parrot-zik-2-0.jpg?thumb=y&width=740&height=426

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #28 of 644
Thanks for honest feedback. 99% I am going for xb-950bt.

Kindly can you explain bit further what did you mean by Beats studio wireless is ''slightly cleaner sound signature'' than xb-950bt ? 

I also heard beats bass sounds better on wire rather then on Bluetooth . On other side you know that on wire xb-950bt bass-boost button doesn't work, is this deal breaker? or due to APT-X  wireless is loss less on xb950bt?
I only had the beats for a couple of days but from what I heard the beats' bass was leaner which made it sound slightly less thick. I found the xb-950bt's bass to be more fun and engaging. I actually found beats' wired mode to sound less engaging than in wireless mode. As for the xb-950bt's bass boost button, I hardly used it so not being able to use it in wired mode wasn't a deal breaker for me. It shouldn't be for you either since the battery on them lasts a long time.

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 644
I only had the beats for a couple of days but from what I heard the beats' bass was leaner which made it sound slightly less thick. I found the xb-950bt's bass to be more fun and engaging. I actually found beats' wired mode to sound less engaging than in wireless mode. As for the xb-950bt's bass boost button, I hardly used it so not being able to use it in wired mode wasn't a deal breaker for me. It shouldn't be for you either since the battery on them lasts a long time.

Thank you again for making things simple for me. 

I just placed order for xb950bt and I will share my feedback soon once I will have them.

Cheers,
Hamza  

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 644
Thank you again for making things simple for me. 

I just placed order for xb950bt and I will share my feedback soon once I will have them.

Cheers,
Hamza  
Awesome!! Even though I ended up returning them, they were the best bluetooth headphones I had ever tried. I ended up upgrading to the mdr-1a and should be getting them this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back