Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #376 of 517
Without burn in, I definitely hear a difference between the V6 and the 7506. The 7506 is way more analytical and some what bright while the v6 is smooth and laid back. I could have sworn that they were the same 'phones. 

Anyways, I may have to request a replacement form amazon. I'm hearing a big of static if the headphone jack gets turned. Might be a short in the wire. 

Aside from the slight defect, I think I finally found a budget replacement for my M50x. I like the M50 but the bass over shadows the mids a little to much for my liking. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #378 of 517
I strongly recommend HM5 leather pads from mp4nation.  To show the fit, take a look:

The problem here is that these are the thicker, memory foam version, they make the sound nasal and a bit shrill.  The regular, non-memory-foam HM5 pads are the ones to go for.  I have a pair, but they are fitted to a custom ortho and no longer get a proper fit on my 7506 and V6.  I need to buy another two pairs for my Sonys.

Good isolation, great comfort, even greater sound, you will not regret it!  The stock pads kill the sound by comparison.

Edi: I bought more regular HM5 pads and they aren't making them as thin as they used to.  Well, a night under a pile of books should "fix" the pads.  :k701smile:

Agreed 100%. I think that I was one of the first, if not the first, to fit HM5 pads on the V6s. To my ears, the transformation in sound was quite significant: The top wasn't as strident, the mids were more clear, and the lows better defined. As for comfort, there's simply no comparison. The HM5 pads are a winner all-around. FWIW, I run the non-memory foam version.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #381 of 517
HM5 pads are Chinese. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #382 of 517
Just recieved MDR-7506 and MDR-V6 from Amazon for the BlackFriday prices. Ordered both just for comparison. Genuine revision done, burning done. The sound is even equal, V6's is a little bit more compressed and over-bright than 7506's. But it can be a fantasy. Btw the source is ODAC+O2 combo.

However, V6's "modern" packaging kept them more tight and made little dents on the headband's leather. The cord is also more tangled instead of 7506's.

So I would recomend 7506 in a classic box.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #383 of 517
Just recieved MDR-7506 and MDR-V6 from Amazon for the BlackFriday prices. Ordered both just for comparison. Genuine revision done, burning done. The sound is even equal, V6's is a little bit more compressed and over-bright than 7506's. But it can be a fantasy. Btw the source is ODAC+O2 combo.

However, V6's "modern" packaging kept them more tight and made little dents on the headband's leather. The cord is also more tangled instead of 7506's.

It can just as easily be just manufacturing tolerances: the next V6 or 7506 may sound a slightly less compressed and bright than both of the ones that you have.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #387 of 517

I'm not sure if it is because they are slightly squeezed into the new packaging but noticed that I had to give a little push in order to get them out of the packaging. On top of that, the cable seems to have tons of static when I plugged them into 3 different divices. This happened with two V6's and I ended up sending both back. I still love my 7506's but the V6 quality control seems to be a little off. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #388 of 517
Just got a set of beyerdynamic velours for my 25+ year old MDR-V7.
They really brought the sound together IMO. Tamed the top end brightness, tightened up the bass impact and really improved the soundstage.
I had a chance to demo a set of sennheiser hd558 and while I didnt get to give a real good listen, I left with a real good feeling about my old guys. There wasn't much the hd558 did better and a few things it did worse.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #389 of 517
Glad to see you are still enjoying them thoughtcriminal. Mine are using the "durable" ebay pads at the moment :)
You should have a good feeling about these old gems that's for sure.

I found using the old pads' stock foam inserts helps ever so slightly also, so I cut them our from the original pads and put those in also.
Another member felt the same if I recall.

I'll see about grabbing some of those beyer pads at some point see how it compares.

Btw if you ever need to replace the stock headband pad and are fussy about that , the V5 ( if you can find a nice set ) are identical with the gold lettering even. It's a bit of a process though, so maybe an aftermarket snap-on cover would be best.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #390 of 517
I saw a pair V6s for sale, for the first time today. This was sort of exciting for me. I've owned the V6 before but it was nice to be able to demo and hold a decent pair of headphones in person at a actual store. Not a lot of places sell headphones around here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back