Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #271 of 517
I had my V404's for about 15 years before the pleather had came off so badly I kink of scraped the fest off and continued to use them. Then I had a thought. What if you rubbed in a little Armor-All from time to time. Or to be very bold, a little melted Sno-Seal which is beeswax. Might help to preserve them. I dont know, just a thought.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #272 of 517
The reason people say 7506 has better warranty is because V6 is discontinued! They sound the same from my experience, and you will be happy with either of them. I think 7506 would be easier/cheaper to find.

Thankyou for your to the point reply. I want to apologize for dragging up this V6 vs 7506 topic. I have since realized there are hundreds of discussions going back 10 or 12 years. I have found V6's at a number of places. Right now bhphotovideo.com has the V6 at $82.99 and the 7506 at $85.99.
I have decided to get the V6. I figure even tho I can be 99% sure they sound the same from what I have read; the V6 looks more like my old V404 and are V series; so if I "think" that is the better choice I will go with that. I think if I got the 7506 there would always be some doubt somewhere in the back of my feeble mind.
It will be a week or 2 before I can order them so I will post my thoughts after I give them a listen.
Thanks again

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #275 of 517
Check out the headphone in the PONO Kickstarter Ad.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music?ref=live

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #276 of 517

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #278 of 517
The V6 is back in production it looks like.

Ha ha!  The customers win out again!  Sony keeps trying to kill this headphone but we revolt every time!
beerchug.gif

Manufactured since 1985 and still going strong!  The only other headphone I can think of that's close is the Koss Pro4AA.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #280 of 517
Ha ha!  The customers win out again!  Sony keeps trying to kill this headphone but we revolt every time!
beerchug.gif

Manufactured since 1985 and still going strong!  The only other headphone I can think of that's close is the Koss Pro4AA.

Doesn't Sony realize the V6 is itself a brand asset... like Playstation ? Trinitron ?

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #281 of 517
Selfish here, but I'd like it if Sony decided to keep the lineup, but raised the price some. :)

I currently have two sets of 7506's... one is pristine and seldom used except when I occasionally do sound design for multimedia projects.

The other has been de-stickered and bass-ported (1mm holes in the outer shell)...those are my everyday go-to cans.

I'd really like to re-cable my modded pair with a shorter flat cable so they'd more useable as a portable. Is it particularly hard to re-cable 7506's without affecting the sound quality or sensitivity?

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #282 of 517
  Selfish here, but I'd like it if Sony decided to keep the lineup, but raised the price some. :)

I currently have two sets of 7506's... one is pristine and seldom used except when I occasionally do sound design for multimedia projects.

The other has been de-stickered and bass-ported (1mm holes in the outer shell)...those are my everyday go-to cans.

I'd really like to re-cable my modded pair with a shorter flat cable so they'd more useable as a portable. Is it particularly hard to re-cable 7506's without affecting the sound quality or sensitivity?

I did a mod back in 2002-03, to make it more portable.  IIRC it was a KSC75 (or portapro) "Y" cable on a V6.  It was my main portable-closed can and I don't recall it adversely altering the sound. It was a must-do mod for me since I never could get used to the weight of the OEM coiled cord CONSTANTLY tugging and pulling at the left earcup.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #283 of 517
Is this a good replacement cable, or is there something out there in the 1-meter range with a 90-degree plug I could use?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885586-REG/Remote_Audio_7506sc_Replacement_Straight_Cable_for.html

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #284 of 517
Side note: Today I received my Auray Sheepskin earpads for v6/7506. They're well worth the money in my opinion! They are a stouter material than the plastic Sony pads and they seem to seal a little better.

I have tried out the Pearstone velour pads in the past and found that they bled in too much sound from the outside - esp in the human voice range - compared to the stock ones. It's my opinion that the velour pads dont isolate as well, so people turn up the volume a little and that helps with the bass...hence the reviews that say they improve bass and isolation. I tried it out with one velour and one stock pad and it was very obvious to hear the sound of a news reporter on TV in another room leaking into the side with the velour pad.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #285 of 517
FWIW, I'm using Brainwavz pads with my V6s. Almost a night and day difference compared to stock, and not just relating to comfort. The cans went from sounding peaky and shrill to ...well... pleasant, while maintaining its original (better) qualities. At their price, it's almost a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back