Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #1,021 of 2,677
I recently purchase these and I'm really impressed with the performance.  However, the carboad packaging compressed dents into the ear pads, and several days later the pads haven't filled back out.

I contacted Sony USA and was advised that while there is a part # for the pads, the part # is not currently available.  With the MA900 being discontinued I don't hold out much hope of the part # becoming available.  

This is a frustrating situation - I'm thinking of returning the headphones due to the defect and lack of support.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #1,022 of 2,677
My current Sony 7550 (ex800st) is said to have a very wide soundstage... for an IEM.

If I trade/sell my 7550 for, let's say, an open headphone like the Sony MDR MA900... will i get bigger soundstage or will just be the same?

My interest in MDR MA900 sparked because

1. It's said to be very light and very comfortable headphone
2. It has impedance compensator... headphone will sound the same if connected to phone/stereo/laptop
3, MA900 is said to have big soundstage yet intimate vocals

Also, the mobility of IEM is pretty much lost to me because I don't take it outdoors. I picture myself using only open back headphones (in the near future) in the living room to watch movies, videogaming or listen to music while everyone around me is sleeping.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,024 of 2,677
Quick question about the ma900s...

I have them hooked up to my Recon3D with my PS3 and when i play battlefield 3, The mids kick in as well as some lows, for example, when going Rambo with my 240B LMG but the Drivers vibrate or rumble when every bullet pops out of the gun. Is this normal?

i mean i can feel the pressure when it happens but theres no distorting sound whatsoever.
Sounds clean and nice as well :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,025 of 2,677
Got my hands on some Beyerdynamic velour pads (replacement for DT880) and they *kinda* fit. The flaps of the pads hook on to the earcups about 75% around, but because the flaps are too short it won't properly hook to the bottom corner of the earcups, the part where the plastic tab gets wide. If you have an MA900, you can see where the plastic tab starts getting wide right below the L and R indicators. But they do seem to stay on for now.

The sound? Again I don't have the best ears, but to me the mids take a hit and it sounds slightly less open to me. I still very much prefer the stock pads for sound, but Beyer pads might be a decent alternative for some.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,026 of 2,677
Get the Shure 1840 pads as an alternative. It's more comfy, but due to the added distance between the ears and the drivers, you lose mids, and the sound gets a little thinner. If you don't cut out the inner felt, the sound is more bassy.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,027 of 2,677
  I recently purchase these and I'm really impressed with the performance.  However, the carboad packaging compressed dents into the ear pads, and several days later the pads haven't filled back out.

I contacted Sony USA and was advised that while there is a part # for the pads, the part # is not currently available.  With the MA900 being discontinued I don't hold out much hope of the part # becoming available.  

This is a frustrating situation - I'm thinking of returning the headphones due to the defect and lack of support.

Yea, the same issue happened with the SA5000 as well, although at least those parts came into existence at some point. I think a pretty clear threshold for support/longevity is having replacement pads for sale. If the manufacturer isn't readily providing replacement pads, it's a pretty clear sign they don't expect the customer to have them for a long time. 

With that said I think the SA3000 earcup is really similarly sized to the MA900 (totally off the top of my head). I know there are a few chinese factories cranking out SA3000 pads. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #1,028 of 2,677
I even contacted Sony's supplier awhile back (forgot the name) and they never even replied.

I've already put in a good amount of effort trying to get a spare pair, with absolutely no luck. Whatever Sony.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,029 of 2,677
Just bought a used pair of these from B&H for $150. I'm not sure what I think of them yet, they definitely feel interesting on my head. They are SO light, and NO clamping force, but I feel my ears on the drivers. It almost feels funny. And holy hell do they leak. Im just listening to some different types of music to get a feel for them, will have my opinions later. They really do sound like two speakers next to my head, and Ive mostly had closed and semi-open headphones my whole life, so this is definitely different. 

MadLust, How much amp do you need to drive them with the Shure pads?

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,030 of 2,677
I've found that if you push the headphones towards the front of your head that there is no issue with my ears touching the felt covering the drivers.  (let them fit into the back of your ears slightly)

Really digging these headphones now.  About 20+ hours of time on my head and they are my favorite pair I've owned.

Still trying to get used to my Q701's, not sure if they are my cup of tea, but the MA 900s definitely are.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,031 of 2,677
When you do that, you alter the sound, and lose the mids, and bass a bit.

As for which amp, I just use an E17. I didn't find much difference even when I was using the Compass 2 or Asgard 2. The MA900 isn't amp dependent. Those two amps were more neutral, and actually sounded a little worse than the E17, because they made the MA900 a little more sterile. I like the added warmth of the E17. Still, that's not an amping issue, but a tonal one.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,032 of 2,677
@donunus

I heard the distortion in the left ear cup. I was playing Faith by Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe at a decently loud volume and there was a loud fuzzy noise on the left side that I first noticed around 3:30 in the song and it gets progressively worse from there.

On a side note I got a hair cut yesterday and the headphones sound even better than before. I suppose this could be because I had an afro which blocked me from getting a perfect seal.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,033 of 2,677

Same happened with the two sets I bought.
I didn't find it to be an issue, though - foam is foam and 
will almost definitely fill back out.  On one set it already has.

If you're really impressed with the headphones, and satisfied
otherwise with your purchase of them, I think that sending them
back over some slightly compressed foam is somewhat like the
old adage of 'biting your nose to spite your face'.  

:)

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,034 of 2,677
My pads are hella compressed. Pretty sure you're not gonna luck out with some springy foam. They compress rather easily. The padding is very minimal, and is basically there just so that you're not making contact with the plastic.

Also, the closer your ears are to the driver, the better the sound quality for the MA900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back