Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Mar 7, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #16 of 346
I've managed to fix the jack plug on my pair, I'm glad I can enjoy them again! This headphone doesn't do anything miraculous but it doesn't have any flaw either. It's just extremely smooth and coherent over the range, and the soundstage is very engaging. I'm using them directly off my CDP and it has a good body & presence. It might sound weaker and more analytical off portable sources. There are indeed mixed opinions about its supposed flatness, for instance the original owner of my CD900ST found it darker than his HD650, which others probably wouldn't agree with... maybe a source/amp issue? Anyway I can state I liked them better unamped than the Thunderpants and probably the Z1000 that I auditionned recently.

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #18 of 346
The reason is because this model is very hard to get, it is only available in japan. This headphone is much better than its us version mdr 7506 but the price is also higher. There is a new product of cd900st, the ex800st model is quite good too.
On a side note, Japanese company tend to make/release better product within their country only, not only sony, but jvc victor too, the hp dx1000 sound more amazing than its international version ha dx1000.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #21 of 346

Quote:
Just wonder if anyone compared the 900ST against another Sony, the Z1000. Are the latter worth twice as much ?

Good idea!  I have both.  Hum....  a video review perhaps... :)

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #22 of 346

Quote:

Good idea!  I have both.  Hum....  a video review perhaps... :)

Ooh, I'd definitely like to see this. Make it happen!
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #23 of 346
I did compare them about a month ago but... anyways...

"Currently listening with the z1000 with Mundorf Cable and cd900st with Stock Cable in a more quiet room (my room) and I can definitely say now that the z1000 indeed has a lot better detail retrieval in the upper midrange and treble region. I can hear both micro-details without listening really hard to the songs but the z1000 produces those micro-details much more clearer. Not to the point that it sounds harsh. It still sounds smooth but the upper midrange to treble region is more prominent than the cd900st. On some instruments, I also find the Midrange are about the same but I still find the z1000's midrange sweeter but not as sweet as an LCD2 or sm3.

On the other hand, cd900st sounds smoother and laid-back on the frequency range that I mentioned above. With this, it feels like that cd900st has bigger headstage now and I don't know why that happened as I always know that the cd900st puts the whole mid-range region forward, but now it isn't anymore, specially in the upper mid-range region. Maybe because of the source? or burn-in? The cd900st has about 200-300 hours now while I am not sure with the z1000 but I'm guessing its around 100 hours or less.

Both headphones have accurate bass that doesn't sound distorted even with bassy tracks. Both headphone's bass are somewhat lacking for other people, but they are enough for me. Note that I'm not fond of bassy headphones.

Now for the obvious, the cd900st is still more comfortable but the z1000 gives a lot better isolation and better clamping but not to the point that it hurts your head with the clamping."

I'm using the DX100 as the source. Also, I did not adjust the volume so the CD900st sounds bigger or wider due to impedance difference. I could give it a second whirl sometime though.

May 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #27 of 346
Quote:
In case anyone wants replacement ear pads part number. These are NOT the same as the MDR-V6.
sony part# 211569501 ear pads for MDR-CD900st

You can actually get the pads outside of Japan? This is definitely nice to know. I was afraid of the pads inevitably falling apart and having to use the V6 or *shudder* the Beyer pads.

May 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #28 of 346
Quote:

You can actually get the pads outside of Japan? This is definitely nice to know. I was afraid of the pads inevitably falling apart and having to use the V6 or *shudder* the Beyer pads.

I think there is an ebay seller of cd900st pads. I'm not sure if the pads in the pic is for the CD900ST as somewhat different from the stock pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-earpad-ear-pad-replacement-for-sony-mdr-cd-900st-mdr-cd900st-headphones-/251052653812?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3a73e77cf4

Quote:
I think both the ZX1000 & CD900st are a "must have" if you like Sony headphones. They are each better at some things.

I somewhat agree. I sold my z1000 because almost everything that the Z1000 has, the CD900ST has it as well. For me, its like the CD900ST is about 90% of the z1000. And the cable alone, costs as much as a pair of CD900ST, if not, more!

I'll try to compare the Z1000 and the CD900ST again using stock cables for the Z1000 when I can borrow or audition another pair sometime. Although the stock cable sounds really different from the Mundorf cable.

I also think the CD900ST is good as it is, no need to mod it in any way as the sound changes (usually worse) when modding it. I remember attempting to use angled pads and everything sounds thin, lol

May 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #30 of 346

The MDR-V6 pads changes the sound. I tried it. My contact at Sony said he can order them in the U.S., but it's not cheap at $33 ea.

The CD900st can be had with coiled cable too. I don't know of they will ship to U.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back