Sony MDR-CD900ST Professional Headphones Unboxing Video and a What moment.
Dec 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Decided to get the MDR-CD900st because I am a Sony fanboy and I love how they look.  Opened the box and was surprised by the lack of retail packing.  It's very un-Sony like to package it in a white box.  A quick search here confirmed that it is how they come.  

A quick listen proved that these are NOT the same as the V6 or 7506.  It doesn't have the almost harsh high/mid bump found in the V6 & 7506.  These are very very smooth and flat sounding through my Apogee Duet 2.  Went through a few of my test tracks and I know I like these headphones.  I suspect it will improve after a good break-in.

Anyone know where I can get the ear pads in case these wear out?

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 21
Look forward to further impressions! I always felt the upper mid bump made the v6 hard to listen to with a lot of material. How does the cd900st compare to the v6 in other regards...bass, timbre, resolution, soundstage, etc? Does the cd900 require a dedicated amp? 

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 21
The embed video doesn't seem to be showing in my first post. Hum....  Looks like it's not showing when viewed on an iPhone.  

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 21
I guess there isn't much interest in this model.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 21
I found they sounded great in some situations, but awful in others.  For some music, they rocked, but never for movies, which just sounded odd.

Overall, I think there are much better choices in that price range.  When you add to that how hard they are to hunt down, it explains that lack of interest.

They aren't flat enough to be good monitors, but not fun enough to be fun listening headphones.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 21
"...not flat enough"? That's interesting. I was interested in them because I read that they're supposed to be very 'flat'....a big step up from the infamous v6/7506. They're used by all the music studios in Japan, AFAIK. Maybe the 7509 is the logical step up from the v6 then?
BTW, the video plays fine on my laptop.
Quote:
I found they sounded great in some situations, but awful in others.  For some music, they rocked, but never for movies, which just sounded odd.

Overall, I think there are much better choices in that price range.  When you add to that how hard they are to hunt down, it explains that lack of interest.

They aren't flat enough to be good monitors, but not fun enough to be fun listening headphones.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 21
I have the 7509. The CD900 sounds more neutral to me. Definitely a step up from V6. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 21
Between my Sony Z6, the Pioneer Monitor 10, the DT48, the DT250, and the German Maestro 8.300, I've had quite a few studio headphones that are relatively flat.  Not all of them are really enjoyable with all music, but all of them make music of all genres sound "correct".  With the CD900ST, sometimes things would sound really strange, and I know I'm not the only one to feel that way.  They may be used professionally, but if I were mixing music, I don't think that would be my desired pair.

Quote:
"...not flat enough"? That's interesting. I was interested in them because I read that they're supposed to be very 'flat'....a big step up from the infamous v6/7506. They're used by all the music studios in Japan, AFAIK. Maybe the 7509 is the logical step up from the v6 then?
BTW, the video plays fine on my laptop.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 21
I need more time with them before I conclude if they are flat enough for mixing. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 21
I didn't like the thin ear pads on these.  I have a pair of Pearstone Deluxe ear pads around the house and decided to try them on the CD900st.  WOW!  A lot more comfortable and the bass response improved.  The bass is sightly more punchy.  The highs and mids didn't change much.  I really think that with these Pearstone ear pads, the CD900st is a winner.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 21
That's good to hear. I did some more reading on the 7509 and that one is crossed off my list. I wonder if anyone has heard the cd900st and also the new krk 8400. I'm really curious how they compare, since the krk is a whole lot easier on the wallet, and is supposed to be a very good studio phone.

Quote:
I didn't like the thin ear pads on these.  I have a pair of Pearstone Deluxe ear pads around the house and decided to try them on the CD900st.  WOW!  A lot more comfortable and the bass response improved.  The bass is sightly more punchy.  The highs and mids didn't change much.  I really think that with these Pearstone ear pads, the CD900st is a winner.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 21
you in jersey right? local guitar center carries them all the time and you can call or go up there and ask to audition them. last time i went up my local one the guy had no problem allowing me check out some of the headphones. Sam Ash might have them too and they let people audition stuff as well.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
you in jersey right? local guitar center carries them all the time and you can call or go up there and ask to audition them. last time i went up my local one the guy had no problem allowing me check out some of the headphones. Sam Ash might have them too and they let people audition stuff as well.

I'm down at the shore in Springsteen country. There's no Guitar Center anywhere near here AFAIK....nor Sam Ash. Best Buy used to carry the krk monitor speakers, so perhaps they are carrying the phones too. They didn't seem to have any sample phones out that you could audition, last time I was there. Apparently they don't go out of their way to attract customers who are interested in high quality audio gear.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 21
The CD900st does not have any of the flaws found on the V6/7506 or 7509hd through my listening on my Apogee Duet 2.  The Pearstone ear pads also add more outside noise isolation.  The bad part is that the CD900st are expensive to begin with then you have to add another $25 for the ear pads.  I would put the CD900st with upgraded ear pads as good as the Denon D7000, but with a bit of the Sony signature.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
The CD900st does not have any of the flaws found on the V6/7506 or 7509hd through my listening on my Apogee Duet 2.  The Pearstone ear pads also add more outside noise isolation.  The bad part is that the CD900st are expensive to begin with then you have to add another $25 for the ear pads.  I would put the CD900st with upgraded ear pads as good as the Denon D7000.

Wow...that's a hell of a recommendation. No wonder they're used in all the major studios in Japan. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back