Sony MDR-7520
Mar 13, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,157 of 2,535
They arrived this morning and I have been listening for a few hours. I'm floored by the resolution in the upper mids and treble. Absolutely floored. I'm a bit of a treble head which means that what I think is neutral is often piercingly bright for others. There is probably a little less treble than what I want but it is there and it is very detailed and has some air to it. Treble on the Spirit Pro is definitely less detailed.

I was sceptical of what people were saying about the bass response but it really does go low. It has impact and I do find that it has more impact than the Spirit Professional. I think the Spirit Pro have a more refined and detailed bass response but it doesn't have the impact of the 7520.

Comfort is great. Really comfy and I can use glasses without discomfort or affecting the bass response. They are also really light too.

Overall, I'm really impressed. Far more impressed than I thought would be. I'm just going to spend a few more hours deciding whether I want to sell these.

Update 1:

I would describe the bass as 'full'. Not as detailed as the Spirit Pro but a bit more enjoyable. There is a combination of a full bass and clarity in the mids and treble that gives these a really addictive sound. The clarity in that region reminds me very much of the HD800. It isn't as detailed but it is the most detailed closed headphone I have heard in that region.

The soundstage isn't as large as the Spirit Pro but the drivers are closer to your head and I wouldn't describe it as boxed in. Imaging is exceptional. Binaural audio sounds much more real than with the Spirit Pro.

Update 2:

These headphones are absolutely exceptional with binaural recordings. Classical music sounds amazing as well. They do have really good timbre as well.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #1,159 of 2,535
I guess I need to add the perspective that ALL THREE CANS ARE STILL THE BEST in this class of
MID TIER CLOSED CANS!!

So yes they will sound excellent and satisfactory to you I don't doubt it!

MY POINT is that THIER CAN ONLY BE ONE best,
With a second and third place..
So YOU CHOOSE second and third lol.
Sony remain on top of those three FOR ME!!

BUT my Ultrasone ED8 are tops of all portables FOR ME!
:p

So the 7520 is the best of all ? How do you compare it with the TH-600 ?

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,161 of 2,535
So the 7520 is the best of all ? How do you compare it with the TH-600 ?

The sony is the better monitor and for portable use almost truely unbeatable ..
The th600 is more a home can with incredible impact and bass articulation.. Also more !"U" shaped.

Both are refined in the level of details they produce..

Definitely higher than all "mid-level" cans..

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #1,165 of 2,535
The sony is the better monitor and for portable use almost truely unbeatable ..
The th600 is more a home can with incredible impact and bass articulation.. Also more !"U" shaped.

Both are refined in the level of details they produce..

Definitely higher than all "mid-level" cans..

What is the meaning of V shape and U shape ? I don't listen to music outside home !

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,167 of 2,535
  They arrived this morning and I have been listening for a few hours. I'm floored by the resolution in the upper mids and treble. Absolutely floored. I'm a bit of a treble head which means that what I think is neutral is often piercingly bright for others. There is probably a little less treble than what I want but it is there and it is very detailed and has some air to it. Treble on the Spirit Pro is definitely less detailed.

I was sceptical of what people were saying about the bass response but it really does go low. It has impact and I do find that it has more impact than the Spirit Professional. I think the Spirit Pro have a more refined and detailed bass response but it doesn't have the impact of the 7520.

Comfort is great. Really comfy and I can use glasses without discomfort or affecting the bass response. They are also really light too.

Overall, I'm really impressed. Far more impressed than I thought would be. I'm just going to spend a few more hours deciding whether I want to sell these.

Update 1:

I would describe the bass as 'full'. Not as detailed as the Spirit Pro but a bit more enjoyable. There is a combination of a full bass and clarity in the mids and treble that gives these a really addictive sound. The clarity in that region reminds me very much of the HD800. It isn't as detailed but it is the most detailed closed headphone I have heard in that region.

The soundstage isn't as large as the Spirit Pro but the drivers are closer to your head and I wouldn't describe it as boxed in. Imaging is exceptional. Binaural audio sounds much more real than with the Spirit Pro.

Update 2:

These headphones are absolutely exceptional with binaural recordings. Classical music sounds amazing as well. They do have really good timbre as well.

They are up for sale. I'm incredibly impressed with them but I think I'm going to look at IEMs.

You're sure you want to sell them after listening to them for only a few hours at most?

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,168 of 2,535

You're sure you want to sell them after listening to them for only a few hours at most?

I have a variety of tracks to listen to in order to get a good impression of them. There is also a brief period of time where you are not used to the frequency response. Imaging on the 7520 is excellent. I wonder if that is a result of the drivers being angled in the same way the HD800 drivers are angled.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,169 of 2,535
Does anyone find the lower mids a little sucked out? I received my pair sometime this week and I'm not liking how the Sonys represents male baritone voices. The song in particular where I find it a bit of an issue is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmy61wRBbLY

It could also be the midbass overshadowing the mids a little bit, but I didn't see the mids as a major complaint point of the 7520 so just wanted to make sure I was on point here.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,170 of 2,535

Update 1:

Update 2:

Do some bass tests and listen to some more tracks. The 7520 cant be touched in bass detail. Not even by the pro. Ever since I had the 7520 
wink.gif
 I used the same tracks to test every headphone since and not one of them touched it. 

What the pro has to me over the 7520 is just about everything else IMO except maybe treble resolution but the pro is less dark or just about the same. Especially timbres which are much more natural and true to nature on the pro. Details are in the same ball park. The 7520 is very much more boxed in by comparison and handles busy music better. If I could have the bass and fit of the 7520 and along with everything else of the pro I would seriously not look for one more portable EVER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back