Sony MDR-7520
Mar 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,186 of 2,535
  that is preference a lone. without knowing what is someones genre preference, sibilance tolerance, bass or midrange desires its hard to say one is better. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I would say that in a lot of ways I do prefer them over it but make the he400 just a smidge smoother/easier on my ears, and give it some mids and I wouldnt even look at these if forced to choose. 

Some flaws are like fatal flaws. The more you are here the more fatal the flaw becomes and the bigger the spec.

That is true. But what specifically you didn't like in the HE-400 ?

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #1,187 of 2,535

That is true. But what specifically you didn't like in the HE-400 ?

it hurt my ears and not just because of the treble spike it has. It was also a bit lacking in the mids for my preference. It lacks dynamics as well but I can get over it now. I have other hp's for that.

the 7520 suffers from none of those problems

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #1,188 of 2,535
Sigh

It looked like I had someone to buy my MDR-7520 yesterday but now they are no longer responding so I assume they don't want them. So they are still up for sale with a link in my signature.

I would have expected someone to jump on these considering how difficult they are to get in Europe. The more I listen to them the more I appreciate them. I do hope that Tyll manages to get a pair to listen to.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,189 of 2,535
Do some bass tests and listen to some more tracks. The 7520 cant be touched in bass detail. Not even by the pro. Ever since I had the 7520 :wink:  I used the same tracks to test every headphone since and not one of them touched it. 

... If I could have the bass and fit of the 7520 and along with everything else of the pro I would seriously not look for one more portable EVER.

I agree...except I even preferred the bass of the Pro! The Pro with the fit of the 7520: I'd be in love! 

Tell me, anyone out there, if they find what I'm looking for! 

To both I say,
Ultrasone Ed8
:wink:

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,190 of 2,535

I'd still have the pro if it weren't for how it squished down on my glasses. I could handle the clamp but not the pinching of the arms of my glasses. That being said...I've tried twice now to buy a used pair. I never learn my lessons. 

I have done the same thing with other headphones in the past. After changing my glasses I thought I would try another pair etc. but no, they were still painful to wear with my new ones.
I've done it with other headphones which did not cause problems with my glasses, but were simply uncomfortable or too heavy to wear.

Considering they're on my head all day, those things are far more important than the sound quality. It doesn't matter how good a pair of headphones sounds if I can't keep them on for the full length of an album.

Fortunately I haven't had any of these problems with the 7520 - though I can see why some people might prefer thicker earpads.

I wish the 7520 has the detail in the bass of the Spirit Pro and I would prefer the 9Khz peak to be little less obvious on violins but I still really enjoy listening to these headphones.

I wish I was not saying this, because so often people suggest to wait until things "burn in" (i.e. wait until you can no longer return the product...) but stick with them. The bass really does get a lot tighter and more detailed after some use, and the treble smooths out a bit.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #1,191 of 2,535
To both I say,
Ultrasone Ed8
wink.gif

overpriced they say. So I wont be doing that

I'd still have the pro if it weren't for how it squished down on my glasses. I could handle the clamp but not the pinching of the arms of my glasses. That being said...I've tried twice now to buy a used pair. I never learn my lessons. 

I have done the same thing with other headphones in the past. After changing my glasses I thought I would try another pair etc. but no, they were still painful to wear with my new ones.
I've done it with other headphones which did not cause problems with my glasses, but were simply uncomfortable or too heavy to wear.

Considering they're on my head all day, those things are far more important than the sound quality. It doesn't matter how good a pair of headphones sounds if I can't keep them on for the full length of an album.

Fortunately I haven't had any of these problems with the 7520 - though I can see why some people might prefer thicker earpads.

I wish the 7520 has the detail in the bass of the Spirit Pro and I would prefer the 9Khz peak to be little less obvious on violins but I still really enjoy listening to these headphones.

I wish I was not saying this, because so often people suggest to wait until things "burn in" (i.e. wait until you can no longer return the product...) but stick with them. The bass really does get a lot tighter and more detailed after some use, and the treble smooths out a bit.

His are burned in and the 7520 is the most detailed bass under 700 period.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,193 of 2,535
With a good bass boost (ie JDS Labs C5) can these be considered bass heavy at all? I have them at home several thousand miles away, but I won't be able to use them for a couple months so the curiosity is bugging me. I listen to a mixture of extreme metal and electronic music... one genre doesn't sound good with copious amounts of bass, and the other needs it. I'm hoping for the best of both worlds with the use of the C5's great bass boost.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,195 of 2,535
Sigh

It looked like I had someone to buy my MDR-7520 yesterday but now they are no longer responding so I assume they don't want them. So they are still up for sale with a link in my signature.

I would have expected someone to jump on these considering how difficult they are to get in Europe. The more I listen to them the more I appreciate them. I do hope that Tyll manages to get a pair to listen to.

Just like any other headphone, if he wanted them, he'd have them by now.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,196 of 2,535
How long of burn-in does it need? I have like 41 hrs and counting already..

I had my set playing in a dresser drawer so I won't hear it.
I played a radio station to have music and voice at like 80% volume and left it playing for 3 weeks in a row.
Checking every week for changes.
After second week it seemed to not change anymore.
The bass tightened up and the trebles were more delicate and less harsh.
Still had a shiny treble increase to me.
I sold mine but I kind of wanted to keep it because it was so good.
I had to do it for a dac upgrade though.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #1,197 of 2,535
With a good bass boost (ie JDS Labs C5) can these be considered bass heavy at all? I have them at home several thousand miles away, but I won't be able to use them for a couple months so the curiosity is bugging me. I listen to a mixture of extreme metal and electronic music... one genre doesn't sound good with copious amounts of bass, and the other needs it. I'm hoping for the best of both worlds with the use of the C5's great bass boost.

Absolutely phenomenal with the bass boost on the c5/c5d.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,198 of 2,535
These are next on my hit list for headphones. I've got the TH600, Signature DJ. I'm looking into most of the high end closed headphones as home listening goes outside of using my speakers. Don't want open cans because I'm getting some KEF LS50 soon and I've got a fair bit of money to burn on whatever I want.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,199 of 2,535
  These are next on my hit list for headphones. I've got the TH600, Signature DJ. I'm looking into most of the high end closed headphones as home listening goes outside of using my speakers. Don't want open cans because I'm getting some KEF LS50 soon and I've got a fair bit of money to burn on whatever I want.

You've already got better cans than this !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back