Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Feb 22, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #511 of 2,667

LOL!

And yeah, I consider the HD600/650 mid-fi as well... heck, all of what I have (and most of what I have tried) has been "mid-fi", including the MDR-1A as well.
To keep things on topic, still enjoying the MDR-1As. Have to wait for my Ultrasone PERF 840/880 to get back but I'm pretty sure I prefer the Sony's as they seem more balanced. And yeah yeah, I know they have their flabby/boomy bass and kind of weird soundstage, but comfort, materials, etc. are what do it for me! That and that they don't have that weird upper-mid thingie that made the MDR-1R irritating to me...

Not sure why people think the MDR-1A have "flabby/boomy bass"? I hear a pretty defined and articulate bass.  Just because there is some actual bass people think it's flabby? I've heard some great bass lines in some songs that I've never heard before with these cheap Sonys.  Tuneful awesome bass, not anywhere close to one note flabby boom!

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #512 of 2,667

Not sure why people think the MDR-1A have "flabby/boomy bass"? I hear a pretty defined and articulate bass.  Just because there is some actual bass people think it's flabby? I've heard some great bass lines in some songs that I've never heard before with these cheap Sonys.  Tuneful awesome bass, not anywhere close to one note flabby boom!

I don't know either: I reckon that, of all the headphones I have, this one has the most exciting bass. Maybe we're just not used to the 'audiophile' sound yet?

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #513 of 2,667
mmm... lol they are considered mid-fi.

they are in the same class as beyers dt series, akg 7## series, hifimans he400i, phillips x2, and etc...

that is the open mid-fi headphones category.

now yes, they all playback 'high-fidelity' sound, but that is not what the mid-fi means when someone here says that. mid-fi simply means above budget/entry level but below flagship/'summit-fi'

Considered mid-fi by who?

I've owned many of the flagship cans (HE90, Qualia 010, K 1000, HP1000, etc.)

Except with regard to price, the HD650s are in no way mid-fi.  You haven't listened to them properly if you think they are.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #514 of 2,667
Considered mid-fi by who?

I've owned many of the flagship cans (HE90, Qualia 010, K 1000, HP1000, etc.)

Except with regard to price, the HD650s are in no way mid-fi.  You haven't listened to them properly if you think they are.

the term mid-fi is pretty self-explanatory. means that there is a broad class of headphones above and below it in sound quality (aka there are flagships and entry level headphones in existence)

sure, you can classify every single pair of headphones you like as hi-fi... but then that just makes the word meaningless. mid-fi is not a subjective term or a term denoting sound quality. it's simply an objective descriptor that denoting there are a class of headphones competing above it and below it. lol

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #515 of 2,667
the point you guys are missing is that the majority of highly rated mid-fi headphones are the market today are "high-resolution," "audiophile-grade," "reference-quality," and have "high-fidelity sound quality." They were the TOTL headphones many years ago. They probably have 60-90% performance of flagships depending on who you ask.

The point is that the actual percentage of fidelity of sound is not what the term mid-fi is referring to. it simply denotes a product category below flagships and above entry level products. lololol

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #516 of 2,667
Why not focus on the MDR-1A, as the topic title so nicely states, and leave the semantics out the door, eh?

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #517 of 2,667

Because it does?!
Have heard a bunch of headphones with "actual bass" where it's definitely not flabby, might be boomy but not as much and they don't linger as long as with the MDR-1A. Headphones such as:

Ultrasone Signature DJ
Beyer T5p
Ultrasone PERF 880
Shure SRH440
V-MODA M100
Yamaha Pro 500
Ultrasone Signature Pro
M-Audio Q40
Monster N-Pulse
Denon D5000 with Lawton Mods
Yamaha HPH-MT220
MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs
LFF Enigma's

Maybe you need to try more closed-back headphones? :p

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #518 of 2,667

Because it does?!
Have heard a bunch of headphones with "actual bass" where it's definitely not flabby, might be boomy but not as much and they don't linger as long as with the MDR-1A. Headphones such as:

Ultrasone Signature DJ
Beyer T5p
Ultrasone PERF 880
Shure SRH440
V-MODA M100
Yamaha Pro 500
Ultrasone Signature Pro
M-Audio Q40
Monster N-Pulse
Denon D5000 with Lawton Mods
Yamaha HPH-MT220
MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs
LFF Enigma's

Maybe you need to try more closed-back headphones? :p

I mostly agree, while I like the signature of the 1A, certainly the control of the bass isn't the strong suit of the design. I'm not sure it is full on flabby, but if  it isn't, it is darn close. Despite that, it still is a musical and enjoyable headphone. I guess Sony looked to the tuning of mega popular sound signatures (yes I mean most Beat designs) and realized that truly controlled bass wasn't for everybody and being neutral wouldn't get them mass exposure, which is what they need.

I can't say I blame Sony and I would never tell anybody the 1A is a reference headphone, but it is never boring or fatiguing either, and those aren't accomplishments to be sneezed at. With decently mastered material the bass can remain acceptably controlled and full. I suspect with a little parametric EQ applied to tame some of the bass energy it could be made more articulate, but that really isn't what it is designed to be is it?

I went back to my V-Moda XS a little recently and without a doubt you can hear the difference in the bass control, it is quite apparent, but damn if the 1A isn't eminently listenable and I end up putting it on warts and all. If I had a wish for this headphone it would be tighter bass without a doubt, but as it is now, I still rather enjoy it and feel for the $200 I paid I'm not missing any value.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #519 of 2,667

I mostly agree, while I like the signature of the 1A, certainly the control of the bass isn't the strong suit of the design. I'm not sure it is full on flabby, but if  it isn't, it is darn close. Despite that, it still is a musical and enjoyable headphone. I guess Sony looked to the tuning of mega popular sound signatures (yes I mean most Beat designs) and realized that truly controlled bass wasn't for everybody and being neutral wouldn't get them mass exposure, which is what they need.

I can't say I blame Sony and I would never tell anybody the 1A is a reference headphone, but it is never boring or fatiguing either, and those aren't accomplishments to be sneezed at. With decently mastered material the bass can remain acceptably controlled and full. I suspect with a little parametric EQ applied to tame some of the bass energy it could be made more articulate, but that really isn't what it is designed to be is it?

I went back to my V-Moda XS a little recently and without a doubt you can hear the difference in the bass control, it is quite apparent, but damn if the 1A isn't eminently listenable and I end up putting it on warts and all. If I had a wish for this headphone it would be tighter bass without a doubt, but as it is now, I still rather enjoy it and feel for the $200 I paid I'm not missing any value.

Agree completely! Don't forget, it is also one of the most comfortable headphones out there... (at least for me!).

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #520 of 2,667

Agree completely! Don't forget, it is also one of the most comfortable headphones out there... (at least for me!).

Yes indeed very comfortable, maybe the mot comfortable I have had with the exception of the D7000. In general I prefer an open back design for bass honesty, but for longer and stress-free sessions, much like the 650 the1A works. I do wish that Sony would do a neutral design with those big 70mm drivers they have. Now that would be something.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #522 of 2,667
  Haven't tried the Z7s yet but they should be decent I think...

Seems to be mixed reactions to them, and nobody seems to feel they are close to neutral, more just a bigger, refined 1A is what I get from the reviews. If that is true for sure it is a shame as drivers that size done well could be epic.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #523 of 2,667

Seems to be mixed reactions to them, and nobody seems to feel they are close to neutral, more just a bigger, refined 1A is what I get from the reviews. If that is true for sure it is a shame as drivers that size done well could be epic.

Been listening to them back to back this morning and the Z7 are obviously better and I think they are pretty amazing, just depends on what your thing is. Also the build quality is night and day, when I pick up the 1A I think it's like a plastic toy and the Z7 is more of a luxury good to me. The sound is much more refined, definitely needs better sources to bring out the sound it is capable of.  I don't think they will ever be regarded as one of the greats because the presentation is so lush, people tend to want more of an accurate headphone.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #524 of 2,667
So many people run EQ and bass boost on these boards it's hard to get an idea of what reality is.  So all of you guys are running completely flat with no enhancements with your 1A?

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #525 of 2,667

Been listening to them back to back this morning and the Z7 are obviously better and I think they are pretty amazing, just depends on what your thing is. Also the build quality is night and day, when I pick up the 1A I think it's like a plastic toy and the Z7 is more of a luxury good to me. The sound is much more refined, definitely needs better sources to bring out the sound it is capable of.  I don't think they will ever be regarded as one of the greats because the presentation is so lush, people tend to want more of an accurate headphone.

I'm curious how the new XBA-A3 sounds since you can't find much information on it.  Is it as smooth as the 1A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back