Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #259 of 2,667
I too jumped on the Dustin Home deal right after Christmas. As I agree with the general critism of the 1R, it will be interesting to see how the 1A sounds like, since I use the 1R as my general desktop headphone whenever I'm not using speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #260 of 2,667
I too jumped on the Dustin Home deal right after Christmas. As I agree with the general critism of the 1R, it will be interesting to see how the 1A sounds like, since I use the 1R as my general desktop headphone whenever I'm not using speakers.:)

You will hear the diff in few seconds, I had the 1R and even moded they are not even close to 1A.
101 € is sweet deal on 1A, you in SE ?

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #261 of 2,667
You will hear the diff in few seconds, I had the 1R and even moded they are not even close to 1A.
101 € is sweet deal on 1A, you in SE ?

Yes, SE. Hopefully the change in sound signature will be to my liking then, as I couldn't really find a store I'd knew would have them available for testing. Interesting fact: I got a good deal on the 1R back when I bought them as well (was my first expensive headphone) but this 1A deal is even cheaper. Funny how that works...

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #262 of 2,667
Yes, SE. Hopefully the change in sound signature will be to my liking then, as I couldn't really find a store I'd knew would have them available for testing. Interesting fact: I got a good deal on the 1R back when I bought them as well (was my first expensive headphone) but this 1A deal is even cheaper. Funny how that works...

Its a strange deal for 100€, cheapest in the world, I wonted to order few from Dustins but no international shipping

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #263 of 2,667
^  Didn't you already get a pair? :p

This is slightly off-topic but Dustin SE (and DK) is also having a deal on another pair of Sony headphones, the MDR-XB950 AP which they sell for roughly $77/€63. I've never listened to the XB-series before, but I'm a bit of a closet basshead (or rather, likes a nice, warm foundation). Can't find much on these, even here on Head-fi. Are they OK for that price?
I don't really need them but could probably find a use for them, as I think they're beautiful. Sony really has some good designs in their current lineup.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #265 of 2,667
  There's a very good discount on the MDR-1A Black, which makes them retail for 130 dollars where I live. Question is, can an iPhone 5 and a Macbook Air (mostly running Spotify) power these well enough? Or should I consider buying a portable amp for these?

They also seem very big. Would they fit someone with a relatively small head?

I'm using the MDR 1A with my Xperia Z3. That being said, as far as mobile devices go (without the use of a portable amp), I've only also tested them with the iPhone 6 Plus. I don't know how different the audio internals of the iPhone 6 Plus is from the iPhone 5, but assuming they are somewhat the same, it's adequate enough.

As far as Xperia Z3 vs iPhone 6 Plus go, the MDR 1A shines on the Z3. That's not to say the 6 Plus can't squeeze some butter out of them, it actually sounds about 10% louder on the iPhone 6 Plus, but these are high quality (High Res) headphones, and the Z3 has a special dac that is High Res certified. What that translates in, according to my extensive comparison between how the Z3 and my friend's iP 6 Plus sound (with these headphones), is that the Z3 squeezes quite a bit more detail, more tight bass, and the biggest difference is that on the Z3 the soundstage is significantly increased.

However I must say they sound very good on the 6 Plus as well.

As far as the Macbook goes, Macbooks usually have good soundcards compared to other notebooks, so I think it will sound quite good. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #266 of 2,667
  There's a very good discount on the MDR-1A Black, which makes them retail for 130 dollars where I live. Question is, can an iPhone 5 and a Macbook Air (mostly running Spotify) power these well enough? Or should I consider buying a portable amp for these?

They also seem very big. Would they fit someone with a relatively small head?

I'm listening right Spotify on iPhone 5S and MDR-1A wich has the same (I guess) audio as the 5 and with volume on 50% and is enough, you go to 100% and you will be deaf after, lets say short time :). After few minutes I have to lover the volume to maybe 40%
No amp needed if used with iPhone 5(S)

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #267 of 2,667
  I'm using the MDR 1A with my Xperia Z3. That being said, as far as mobile devices go (without the use of a portable amp), I've only also tested them with the iPhone 6 Plus. I don't know how different the audio internals of the iPhone 6 Plus is from the iPhone 5, but assuming they are somewhat the same, it's adequate enough.

As far as Xperia Z3 vs iPhone 6 Plus go, the MDR 1A shines on the Z3. That's not to say the 6 Plus can't squeeze some butter out of them, it actually sounds about 10% louder on the iPhone 6 Plus, but these are high quality (High Res) headphones, and the Z3 has a special dac that is High Res certified. What that translates in, according to my extensive comparison between how the Z3 and my friend's iP 6 Plus sound (with these headphones), is that the Z3 squeezes quite a bit more detail, more tight bass, and the biggest difference is that on the Z3 the soundstage is significantly increased.

However I must say they sound very good on the 6 Plus as well.

As far as the Macbook goes, Macbooks usually have good soundcards compared to other notebooks, so I think it will sound quite good. 

I'm listening right Spotify on iPhone 5S and MDR-1A wich has the same (I guess) audio as the 5 and with volume on 50% and is enough, you go to 100% and you will be deaf after, lets say short time :). After few minutes I have to lover the volume to maybe 40%
No amp needed if used with iPhone 5(S)

Sounds great!

All I have to do now is to simply wait for the headphones. They've run out of stock, but they'll hopefully get some more maybe this coming week or the week after.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #268 of 2,667
After reading all the comments here, I feel pretty convinced to buy these. Just a few queries I hope some of you folks can help me out with:

Are the pads replaceable?
If I don't amp, am I missing out on much?
The original MDR-1R had a few concerns about build quality, specifically around the cable rattling. Any here?
Are the mic controls for iPhone's (ie. 3 buttons) or general smartphones (1 button)?
I'm new to the headphone game (I used IEM's exclusively before), so would these be a good 'beginner' set?

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #269 of 2,667
  After reading all the comments here, I feel pretty convinced to buy these. Just a few queries I hope some of you folks can help me out with:

Are the pads replaceable? Yes 
If I don't amp, am I missing out on much? Depends, but dot think so
The original MDR-1R had a few concerns about build quality, specifically around the cable rattling. Any here? 1A are better build.
Are the mic controls for iPhone's (ie. 3 buttons) or general smartphones (1 button)? 1A have just one button not like the 1R
I'm new to the headphone game (I used IEM's exclusively before), so would these be a good 'beginner' set? Yes

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #270 of 2,667

Users who are viewing this thread

Back