Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 26, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #241 of 2,667
Just got the MDR-1a a couple days ago, but due to Christmas festivities haven't had much time to listen to them. However one thing I've noticed about my pair after careful examination of them (my OCD always compels me to examine new products for any defects) I have noticed that the drivers are different color. One is a deep bronze/copper color like shown on the back of the box and the other is a lighter grayish color. Is this normal for everyone else? Should I be concernd with sound quality? Is one driver possibly more coated with aluminum than the other?

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #242 of 2,667
There's a very good discount on the MDR-1A Black, which makes them retail for 130 dollars where I live. Question is, can an iPhone 5 and a Macbook Air (mostly running Spotify) power these well enough? Or should I consider buying a portable amp for these?

They also seem very big. Would they fit someone with a relatively small head?

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #243 of 2,667
  There's a very good discount on the MDR-1A Black, which makes them retail for 130 dollars where I live. Question is, can an iPhone 5 and a Macbook Air (mostly running Spotify) power these well enough? Or should I consider buying a portable amp for these?

Aside from the fact that the iPhone has a quite high voltage headphone output, these headphones are designed to work well with smartphones.
Consequently you won't have problems with your Macbook either.

The MDR-1A seem normal sized to me, I don't think a small head would cause any issues.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #244 of 2,667

Aside from the fact that the iPhone has a quite high voltage headphone output, these headphones are designed to work well with smartphones.
Consequently you won't have problems with your Macbook either.

The MDR-1A seem normal sized to me, I don't think a small head would cause any issues.

Thanks for the help. Well, damn it. I just recently bought a new pair of IEM's. I honestly didn't even consider a pair of over-the-ear until I saw the deal today. It just seems to good of a deal. 130 dollars is kind of cheap, isn't it?

I guess that means they won't be eating a significant amount of the battery life then? How different are these from the MDR-1ADAC?

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #245 of 2,667

Thanks for the help. Well, damn it. I just recently bought a new pair of IEM's. I honestly didn't even consider a pair of over-the-ear until I saw the deal today. It just seems to good of a deal. 130 dollars is kind of cheap, isn't it?

I guess that means they won't be eating a significant amount of the battery life then? How different are these from the MDR-1ADAC?

130$ are a very good price. I paid 200€ (~244$) for them.

I can't really comment on the 1ADAC. Personally, I wouldn't want headphones with a built-in DAC. The sound might be worse, and afaik you can't just upgrade it by connecting it to a better source. Furthermore that's a lot of technology in a headphone and therefore more error-prone. Also the headphone's battery doesn't have an infinite lifespan and I would want to get many years of use out of my headphones instead of having ones that are "bound to die".

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #246 of 2,667

R u sure that the discounted 1A is a genuine unit? That's over 60% off the retailed price here.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #248 of 2,667

130$ are a very good price. I paid 200€ (~244$) for them.

I can't really comment on the 1ADAC. Personally, I wouldn't want headphones with a built-in DAC. The sound might be worse, and afaik you can't just upgrade it by connecting it to a better source. Furthermore that's a lot of technology in a headphone and therefore more error-prone. Also the headphone's battery doesn't have an infinite lifespan and I would want to get many years of use out of my headphones instead of having ones that are "bound to die".

I see. Well, I guess the only thing left is for me to decide if I need it or not. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #249 of 2,667
Yes, 100% positive. There's a special deal where they sell the black one 47% off the retailed price. 

how does one get this deal?

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #251 of 2,667
For anyone interested ncix.com (Canadian site) has these listed for $248 (~$215 USD). Not sure if they will ship to US from Canadian site and they seem to be $348 on ncix US.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/sony-mdr1ab-premium-hi-res-stereo-12-102812-1567.htm

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #252 of 2,667
Just got the MDR-1a a couple days ago, but due to Christmas festivities haven't had much time to listen to them. However one thing I've noticed about my pair after careful examination of them (my OCD always compels me to examine new products for any defects) I have noticed that the drivers are different color. One is a deep bronze/copper color like shown on the back of the box and the other is a lighter grayish color. Is this normal for everyone else? Should I be concernd with sound quality? Is one driver possibly more coated with aluminum than the other?

Anyone have any input? Do your drivers appear to be same color? Thanks for any input.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #253 of 2,667
I got my Sony MDR-1A's a week ago. Happy with them. They sound good with slightly elevated bass. They are not giant killer (my old Grado SR-325 are better) but they sound exciting with decent level of detail and transparency. They work really well with mobile gear: with my Apple Air they are very convincing.

Concerning the colours of the drivers: it seems to me that both drivers are of the same colour - if that is of any impoirtance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back