Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #196 of 2,667
My MDR 1A has slight channel imbalance on the right channel where the volume is a bit lower than the left and this shifted the soundstage more to the left. Contacted Sony to see if they will replace it for me.

One of the main problem of many MDR 1R was a channel imbalance where the bass in the right driver was more punchy, I remember because I had them. It was due to the cables, and they fixed it with really good cables in the 1A, with L/R separation and grounding. I've even tested mine and they are flawless.

I suspect it's not so much a real channel imbalance (caused by wiring), but rather it could be a manufacturing defect with the driver or it's housing. But don't worry, Sony should replace them with no fuss.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #197 of 2,667
My MDR 1A has slight channel imbalance on the right channel where the volume is a bit lower than the left and this shifted the soundstage more to the left. Contacted Sony to see if they will replace it for me.

Sony's Customer Service is pretty good here in my country, replies within a few hours, good luck on your replacement! If you're on iOS , the stock music app has a L/R balancer thing

The only complaint is that one of the cables it comes with should be longer, but that can be fixed by buying another 3rd party cable.

I remember from somewhere only sony's cable will work due to the balanced circuitry inside, the headphone side jack has 4 poles compared to the usual 3, I guess that means you can only get the Left side working with a normal cable.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #199 of 2,667
One of the main problem of many MDR 1R was a channel imbalance where the bass in the right driver was more punchy, I remember because I had them. It was due to the cables, and they fixed it with really good cables in the 1A, with L/R separation and grounding. I've even tested mine and they are flawless.

I suspect it's not so much a real channel imbalance (caused by wiring), but rather it could be a manufacturing defect with the driver or it's housing. But don't worry, Sony should replace them with no fuss.

True. The problem I'm experiencing now with my 1A kind of like yours but on the left side. I'm suspecting it is a manufacturing defect too. Still awaiting reply from Sony.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #200 of 2,667
Sony's Customer Service is pretty good here in my country, replies within a few hours, good luck on your replacement! If you're on iOS , the stock music app has a L/R balancer thing

I hope it is good also in Malaysia as I'm now staying in Malaysia. Tried that out and for me it just ruins it even more. Am I going to send them back to Sony or I need to go to any sony center to have it replaced?

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #202 of 2,667

I hope it is good also in Malaysia as I'm now staying in Malaysia. Tried that out and for me it just ruins it even more. Am I going to send them back to Sony or I need to go to any sony center to have it replaced?

A safer bet would be to email them first

Though I remember there's a period where you can immediately swap for a replacement , not too sure on that

I do know for a fact that for replacement parts, a full deposit is needed before the item ( ie earpads ) are shipped out with a 2 week lead time.

Good luck for your replacement , sucks to have to go through this ordeal

I'm from SG btw

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #203 of 2,667
A safer bet would be to email them first

Though I remember there's a period where you can immediately swap for a replacement , not too sure on that

I do know for a fact that for replacement parts, a full deposit is needed before the item ( ie earpads ) are shipped out with a 2 week lead time.

Good luck for your replacement , sucks to have to go through this ordeal

I'm from SG btw

Emailed them and waiting for a reply. 

I bought it last saturday but the bad news is I'm out of Malaysia till early Jan next year. So I'm hoping they can replace for me once I'm back and it is kinda annoying to have this kind of problem. The first time i tried it on it was flawless and I started noticing this problem on the 3rd day of owning them.

So u mean I have to pay the price of the headphones first ?

Wow we're actually neighbours !

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #204 of 2,667
  Emailed them and waiting for a reply. 

I bought it last saturday but the bad news is I'm out of Malaysia till early Jan next year. So I'm hoping they can replace for me once I'm back and it is kinda annoying to have this kind of problem. The first time i tried it on it was flawless and I started noticing this problem on the 3rd day of owning them.

So u mean I have to pay the price of the headphones first ?

Wow we're actually neighbours !

That's strange. I mean I'm from Romania, and here all retailers are obliged to refund your products within 30 days (unless you break them). So it'd be easy to just return them, and basically replace them (here). No need to go through Sony

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #206 of 2,667
Did some rough measurements using my ears and samsung adapt sound, the right driver freq response is way below what the left driver can. Did another measurement with my Sennheisers to confirm that my ears are okay and both channels of sennheiser seems to have a good response up to the high frequencies. 

The MDR-1A right channel has a drop in the midbass region and drop in the high frequency region after the mid and the left channel have a good midbass response and high frequency region too. 

Take this with a grain of salt as this is just based on a simple app and my own ears.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #207 of 2,667
Did some rough measurements using my ears and samsung adapt sound, the right driver freq response is way below what the left driver can. Did another measurement with my Sennheisers to confirm that my ears are okay and both channels of sennheiser seems to have a good response up to the high frequencies. 

The MDR-1A right channel has a drop in the midbass region and drop in the high frequency region after the mid and the left channel have a good midbass response and high frequency region too. 

Take this with a grain of salt as this is just based on a simple app and my own ears.

Yo dude, by saying "take this with a grain of salt" you are implying that channel imbalance on the MDR 1A is a general thing, when it appears, as far as 1A owners on this forum, only in your unit.

A friend of mine just updated to the 1A from the m100 after extensively comparing it to mine and the fact that his v moda m100 had exaggerated bass in the right cup, and his 1A, just like mine, have no sort of imbalance.

I'm saying this because people will check out this forum to see if the 1A is worth it and they'll find a bunch of posts about a defective unit that sounds as if it is a common problem, when as far as we're concerned, only appears in your unit.

If you care about your headset, just send it to Sony for a replacement and get it over with. It s not normal, it s your unit only, hence you need to get it replaced to enjoy your music correctly.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #208 of 2,667
Yo dude, by saying "take this with a grain of salt" you are implying that channel imbalance on the MDR 1A is a general thing, when it appears, as far as 1A owners on this forum, only in your unit.

A friend of mine just updated to the 1A from the m100 after extensively comparing it to mine and the fact that his v moda m100 had exaggerated bass in the right cup, and his 1A, just like mine, have no sort of imbalance.

I'm saying this because people will check out this forum to see if the 1A is worth it and they'll find a bunch of posts about a defective unit that sounds as if it is a common problem, when as far as we're concerned, only appears in your unit.

If you care about your headset, just send it to Sony for a replacement and get it over with. It s not normal, it s your unit only, hence you need to get it replaced to enjoy your music correctly.

What i would like to say is the take it with a grain of salt about the frequency response thing that I assume. Not imbalance is the general thing. 

Actually I loved the sound more than my Senns. 

I know it is just me with a bad luck for getting this defective unit and several of my friends who bought it have no problem whatsoever with them. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #209 of 2,667
Yeah I get it, it's a shame you got a defective unit but you should be able to gwt it sorted easily as long as you have your warranty/receipt.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #210 of 2,667
I went to the Sony Store fully intent on buying the 1R to save $100 thinking the 1A couldn't be much better.  I left the store with the 1A.
In doing A/B comparison at the store hooked up to the new A17 player, I thought the difference was quite dramatic.  I was floored really.  

It's a bit confusing as I'm reading some comparisons here stating they're very similar still.  Could this have to do with amplification?
Even though they both have the same sensitivity of 105db, the 1A was quite a bit louder.  At the same perceived loudness, the 1A was at 20/30 while the 1R needed to be at 25/30.
The 1A was very punchy, clear, and airy while the 1R was very muddle and soft.  It felt like the A17 was too weak to drive 1R maybe.  1A's 22ohms vs 1R's 40ohms difference?

Anyway, I felt like the 1A was the perfect match to the A17 which I'm using now.  Pure portable bliss really.  It sounds pretty amazing with my BB Z30 too surprisingly.  
I will get a chance to try it later with a headphone amp.  I'm curious to see if it can actually get even better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back