Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 2, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #167 of 2,667
See, the cups though you would think they are plastic, they conduct heat like metal and get really cold just like metal, though that might just be a metal based coating on them.

And if the A was to stand for Aluminium, it would probably be in reference to the aluminium coating on the LCD drivers.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #170 of 2,667
I own both. They are both aluminium actually (the cups).

By the way, I'm selling an MDR 1R Dynamat modded. 

Any interested buyers?

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #171 of 2,667
Just picked the MDR-1A up. Since I'm new, I can only compare these to the Razer Adaro and Momentum IEM.

Wow, I'm laughing in satisfaction how much better these are. Definitely satisfying my bass needs while not sacrificing other parts of the spectrum (at least to my ears). Everything's so much more crisp and clean. Very comfortable for me, not tight, but I can shake my head around without it moving much.

Can't wait till my E10K arrives, wonder how they'll sound paired together and after burn in.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #172 of 2,667
Probably I might get a 1R. Those enchantments do not worth $100
mad.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #173 of 2,667
Probably I might get a 1R. Those enchantments do not worth $100:mad:

I own both, juat got the 1a. Trust me, it's worth the extra bucks, especially if you listen to rap, rnb, electronic.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #174 of 2,667
Wondering how their isolation compares to other portable headphones. I currently own the QC25s, while they serve the purpose of isolating noises, they don't sound incredibly well for their price honestly. Should I get the 1As instead?

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #175 of 2,667
  Wondering how their isolation compares to other portable headphones. I currently own the QC25s, while they serve the purpose of isolating noises, they don't sound incredibly well for their price honestly. Should I get the 1As instead?

For isolation, I don't think its one of their strengths. I can hear my keyboard clicking pretty clearly as I type this (mechanical blue switches), I can hear a voice at the door enough to hear it but can't make out the words, 0 cable noise for me.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #176 of 2,667

Regarding Isolation, they're better at it than the 1Rs. Now the 1Rs would score a 6/10 in isloation, so this is a 7,5/10 I would say. These headphones have a good balance between isolation and soundstage (note: the better the isolation, the worse the soundstage, which is really important when it comes to sound quality and makes the sound less condensed/claustrophobic and more spacious, and soundstage is where the 1Rs and now the 1As pretty much trumped the competition).

So you'll trade some a "star" in isolation (when compared to the Bose), but trust me, you'll get 2 stars for confort and possibly even 3 for overall sound quality.

Plus I didn't even mention the fact (in case you're interested in such things) that the headset looks much better than the Bose.

Your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back