Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Aug 30, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #46 of 2,773
Quote:

If you look at every flagship headphone that Sony has designed, you'll notice that they all share a pretty big deficiency in actual measured bass performance. The XB line is their super bassy series, I think this is probably going to be more in line with their flagships; just tweaked for a reasonable amount of bass.

my point being is they are using the classic "beats ploy" partnering with a big name in music, BUZZ WORDS EVERY WHICH WAY, and emphasizing bass and treble in the description. Oh sony, please don't go down this path. I know this is just speculation....but Denon is doing the same thing.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #47 of 2,773
a cotton-like material can solve those those bass problems anyway hehe
i think the headphones are tuned for modern music... =(

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #48 of 2,773
Quote:

those are the exact words on the page. hence my .gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #49 of 2,773
Quote:
my point being is they are using the classic "beats ploy" partnering with a big name in music, BUZZ WORDS EVERY WHICH WAY, and emphasizing bass and treble in the description. Oh sony, please don't go down this path. I know this is just speculation....but Denon is doing the same thing.

Lol, you are talking about Sony, the company that quotes frequency response figures that are beyond human hearing, and also most probably complete fabrications? They've always loved their buzzwords.

There isn't really a prominent celebrity hook up with these anyway. They got some artists to come in and tell them what anyone could have told them: your full size headphones need more bass. 

Quote:

Well, look at it this way. Sony has previously tuned their high end flagship headphones like this:

Z1000
7509HD
SA5000

No one can say that that sub 100hz performance is reasonable for many genres, let alone modern music. It's not a neutral response. A pipe organ or a cello would never sound quite right. The EX1000 is quite popular on head-fi, and it actually doesn't have such a crippled low frequency response.

Even when Sony markets their new MA series as having tremendous bass and treble qualities, like for instance going into great deal as to how the MA900 has been built for increased bass, it still ends up with something quite conservative in that respect. 

So actually, if they had to get some recording artists in to tell them, "You know, your full size headphones don't sound very bassy", that's probably a good thing. I don't think its in Sony's DNA to make something super bassy unless they call it XB or Muteki or some other completely different (non-premium) product class.

Of course, we won't know till we get an ears on!

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #51 of 2,773

Z1000
7509HD
SA5000

No one can say that that sub 100hz performance is reasonable for many genres, let alone modern music. It's not a neutral response. A pipe organ or a cello would never sound quite right. The EX1000 is quite popular on head-fi, and it actually doesn't have such a crippled low frequency response.

...keeping in mind, the SA5000 has a more tactile and distinct bass than the EX1000, or the Hifiman RE272 which is decidedly bass light despite a flat response there.

...keeping in mind, the Qualia 010 measures worse in frequency response and square-wave response than all Dr. Dre headphones and $2 TDK earbuds.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #52 of 2,773
Quote:

...keeping in mind, the SA5000 has a more tactile and distinct bass than the EX1000, or the Hifiman RE272 which is decidedly bass light despite a flat response there.

...keeping in mind, the Qualia 010 measures worse in frequency response and square-wave response than all Dr. Dre headphones and $2 TDK earbuds.

Lol, I have the SA5000. It has an interesting dry upper bass coloration, but lower bass below about 70hz falls off a cliff. The EX1000 and 7550 sounds much, much, much fuller in the lower registers, reaching full volume at about 30hz. For certain instruments, the SA5000 sounds competent enough in the bass, but its not going to convey enough low frequency information for a good rendering of the sound. The SA5000 does wonderfully for vocals though :3  

It's pretty obvious when you listen to something like this: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

I haven't heard the 010, and while I have no doubt they sound interesting and beautiful, like the SA5000 or something exotic like the K1000, I also doubt they have a neutral or technical sounding bass response considering that Sony has been hammering away at the 'how to get bass out of an open can' question for years and the best they have arrived at is the MA900.

Most people who actually give the Dr Dre Pro headphones a fair listen would agree that they actually sound okay. Maybe the mid-bass emphasis is not for everyone's taste and the price is definitely way out of line with the performance, but they aren't technical nightmares.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #53 of 2,773
Holy shhh... there's video (Katy B?) on that page posted and complete (it seems) tech specs!

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-prestige-headband/mdr1rs.ce7#/TechnicalSpecs

Even if they sound horrendous, I WILL BUY THEM PERIOD!!!!!

P.S. I'm more excited for these than for the mega-hyped V-MODA M100.... and I known about the Sonys since... errmm... yesterday! hehehe

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #56 of 2,773
Quote:
my point being is they are using the classic "beats ploy" partnering with a big name in music, BUZZ WORDS EVERY WHICH WAY, and emphasizing bass and treble in the description. Oh sony, please don't go down this path.

I see what you mean but this strategy actually makes sense for Sony, seeing that Sony owns music labels and has musicians and artists on contract. It's more like Sony is late to the game in promoting their audio hardware via their music subsidiary. Beats doesn't have a record label and yet they clearly understood the power of marketing via popular musicians before anyone else in the industry did.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #57 of 2,773
Quote:
Specs for the MDR series:

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-1R/spec.html

[font= 'Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro']
Model Sealed dynamic type
Driver unit 40mm, dome type
Sensitivity 105dB/bW
Play frequency band 4-80,000 Hz
Impedance Twenty-four Ω * 1
Maximum input 1500mW * 2
Cord length 1.2m PCOCC wire line / 1.2m PCOCC (usually code) (for iPhone / iPod / iPad)
Mass About 240g * 3
[/font]

MDR-1RBT
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-1RBT/spec.html

Driver unit 40mm
Play frequency band 4 Hz-80, 000Hz 
(when using the Bluetooth is 20Hz-20, 000Hz)
Power Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery
Charging time About 6 hours
Battery life Music playback time: Continuous talk time / 30 hours: standby time / 30 hours: about 6 hours
Mass (Including built-in rechargeable battery) 297g approximately
[/font]

MDR-1RNC
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-1RNC/

Driver unit 50mm, dome type
Sensitivity 103 dB / mW (when the power is turned ON), 101 dB / mW (when the power is turned OFF)
Play frequency band 5Hz - 24,000 Hz
Impedance 51 Ω / 19Ω (at power ON) (when the power is turned OFF) * 1
Maximum input 100 mW * 2
Cord length 1.2m PCOCC wire line / 1.2m PCOCC (usually code) (for iPhone / iPod / iPad)
Input plug Fri-plated L-type stereo mini plug L type gold-plated stereo mini plug pole / 4 (normal code) (code for iPod / iPhone / iPad)
Charging time For 4 hours
Charging method USB Cable
Battery life 22 hours
Mass 330g

[/font]

So: the NFC model does indeed have a different, larger 50mm driver. Although Sony's frequency response figures are always insane, its usually their shorthand way of comparing sound quality, and its interesting that they do state that the sound quality does decrease when using the bluetooth connection on the MDR-1RBT. 

Its weird that they don't also give two different frequency response figures for the flagship 1RNC, and also give two impedance figures. (I'm guessing that turning on the noise cancelling also engages the in-built amp?)

This would be the interesting part in the whole line IMO; what difference does that larger driver in the NC version have. Well like a lot of people here have said, that brown version just looks absofudginglutely fantastically sexy.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #59 of 2,773
I hope they have a pair of these at Best Buy when I go get my phone. It's been a while since Sony made a great headphone.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #60 of 2,773
Speaking of Sony...

What's this?
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-XB400/
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-XB600/
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-XB900/

I've never seen them before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back