Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,731 of 2,773
I will be kind to my Boyfriend from Germany, he has some beaten-up 20 year old Sennheisers. I tried them when i was at his home (our first real meeting) they had very worn pads, headband was almost broken and they had some distortion

So I will gift him this christmas My barely used Ultrasone HFI-780 (bought them in 2013) and i will replace those (for me) with the MDR-1R
biggrin.gif
 (excuse... he has no hi-res files
tongue.gif
)

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,732 of 2,773
Unboxing

At first listen they sound nice, and detailed, perhaps a little more brighter than my XBA-H3 but i find fine, at least not sooo bassy as some say, testing with Haydn symphony 104 "London"

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,733 of 2,773
Oh, so the fix for the jack in the left cup is just an addition to the cable?
Nobody knows how to reach the jack itself?

Well, I guess I won't have issues for now using one of my own cables that doesn't leave any wiggle room then. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #2,734 of 2,773
To me, these headphones have got a good sound but not a really good one. What we can appreciate in the MDR-1R is the design and of course they're really comfortable, one of the most comfortable headset I've ever had !
I think they're a bit expensive but you will enjoy how comfortable they are !

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #2,735 of 2,773
Well, without upgrade earpads and Dynamat dampening on the backs of the drivers, the sound is totally uncompetitive with the other good closed-back headphones at $100-200: ATH-M50x, HD380, HD280, DT770pro, SRH840, HDH50, K545, and KNS8400.
Also gets beat by M80, HD25-1, and Momentum On-ear or Urbanite among portables.
ksc75smile.gif

Or basically, it just blows.  Purely lucky that Sony didn't put crappy drivers in this can, and that a little modding is all it needs to show off how good it can be.

And this is just the Mk1, not the improved Mk2.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,736 of 2,773
Can some MDR-1R owners recommend me an IEM (preferrably detacheable cable) that has an approximate or exact signature of the MDR-1R, which I own and love, find me listening more to The 1R than the overly bassy XBA-H3

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #2,737 of 2,773
  Well, without upgrade earpads and Dynamat dampening on the backs of the drivers, the sound is totally uncompetitive with the other good closed-back headphones at $100-200: ATH-M50x, HD380, HD280, DT770pro, SRH840, HDH50, K545, and KNS8400.
ksc75smile.gif

Or basically, it just blows.  Purely lucky that Sony didn't put crappy drivers in this can, and that a little modding is all it needs to show off how good it can be.

What upgrade earpads do you mean ? Or do mean 'if there were such a thing'? . 

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2,738 of 2,773

ksc75smile.gif

What upgrade earpads do you mean ? Or do mean 'if there were such a thing'? . 

mine sound soo godd have nice natural bass and well frequency response so flat, lsitening right now to my favorite beethoven piece his Romanze for violin if G Op. 50, no dynamat mod no pads mod just as they came from factory with a PCCOCC Cable which is thicker

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #2,739 of 2,773
To me, these headphones have got a good sound but not a really good one. What we can appreciate in the MDR-1R is the design and of course they're really comfortable, one of the most comfortable headset I've ever had !
I think they're a bit expensive but you will enjoy how comfortable they are !

1R is the king of comfort for me, until the 1A comes...

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,740 of 2,773
Hey guys!
Looking for a silver MDR 1R to buy within EU. Used but in good condition cans are interesting me too.
But only the silver-brown variant.
Contact me in PM (Of course not Head Fi trade, I'll post there too, here I would like to ask you, if you've got any tips for amazon or likes, where can I buy, the UK amazon got useds, but for ridiculous prices)

Yeah, after all, the K545 was a bit too bright for me, and frankly, nothing compares to the comfort of the MDR1R :) So this is why I'll get back to the 1R. Tried the 1A, but somehow the changes to the pads made it way less comfortable for me. The sound advancements does not as high, to be reason to go with the less comfort and higher price.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,743 of 2,773
  Great to see that they work like a miracle with the HA2, they are next on my Gadgets-to-Purchase list :)

(Hey! I'm a multi-flip user too, however, I've got the 15 inch modell with i5 4200U :) )

My Mulyiflip is the 14 inc, witht he intel core i5 4200U too :) 8GB RAM and black chassis

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,744 of 2,773
  My Mulyiflip is the 14 inc, witht he intel core i5 4200U too :) 8GB RAM and black chassis

Definitely off topic, but do the reviews are true, that the black one looks like brownish in certain light conditions ? :) Mine is a silver one, here in Hungary, the black was nowhere on display, so I haven't seen it in person. I've got it for more than one year now, but still today I see myself just looking at it in awe of the beauty of the minimalistic design :))
Looks like I've got something towards the Sony designs :)

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2,745 of 2,773
Definitely off topic, but do the reviews are true, that the black one looks like brownish in certain light conditions ? :) Mine is a silver one, here in Hungary, the black was nowhere on display, so I haven't seen it in person. I've got it for more than one year now, but still today I see myself just looking at it in awe of the beauty of the minimalistic design :))
Looks like I've got something towards the Sony designs :)

No, mine has walyas looked black, perhaps grayish, yes i am also into sony designs, sadly they are now discontinued the vaio line.

Talking back to topic, My MR-1R shine with hi-res music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back