Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Oct 22, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #2,266 of 4,748

Quote:
Dude do you speak English as your second language? Sorry, not to be insulting but what you said is very hard to make any sense of. Are you asking which of the 2 IEMs you listed are better suited for both Jazz and Alternative Rock? All I know is the EX1000s have a larger sound stage are overall more refined, and are more romantic. The 7550 is not as refined, has more emphasis on mids and less emphasis on treble compared to the EX1000. So in the end it just depends on what you are looking for in a sound signature. The EX1000s weren't to my liking but I'm glad they found a new home, just as the FX700s found a new home with me :wink:.

sorry.English is not good.ex1000 for various types of rock and jazz, it is more appropriate?

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #2,271 of 4,748

Quote:
Dude do you speak English as your second language? Sorry, not to be insulting but what you said is very hard to make any sense of. Are you asking which of the 2 IEMs you listed are better suited for both Jazz and Alternative Rock? All I know is the EX1000s have a larger sound stage are overall more refined, and are more romantic. The 7550 is not as refined, has more emphasis on mids and less emphasis on treble compared to the EX1000. So in the end it just depends on what you are looking for in a sound signature. The EX1000s weren't to my liking but I'm glad they found a new home, just as the FX700s found a new home with me :wink:.

And the new owner is very happy with them.... :)

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,272 of 4,748

Quote:
thank you.finally have something to ask.Do you have a problem in ex1000 sibilance.Does the ear scratching treble?..EX700 had this problem.

If you have this problem then you may want to avoid the EX series like the plague. This is why I hated the EX1000s so much was due to the harsh nature of its treble (treble spike in the lower region which I am sensitive to). The FX700s may be a better bet for you then. I don't find them to be harsh at all from some comments others have posted and I feel they would be better at more genres of  music than the EX1000 would be. The EX1000 is tailored to more romantic music such as Jazz so its more focused in certain areas.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #2,273 of 4,748
I haven't found the treble to be harsh at all personally. When I hear any sibilance, it's more because of the recording than the 'phones. Overall(IMO) they're pretty smooth, though not to the degree of the Miles Davis.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2,274 of 4,748
Quote:
thank you.finally have something to ask.Do you have a problem in ex1000 sibilance.Does the ear scratching treble?..EX700 had this problem.

The EX1000's treble is not by any means harsh or fatiguing, and in the few months I spent with them, I rarely even encountered sibilance. If anything, they sound very natural to my ears. In my most honest opinion, ear scratching treble and EX1000 don't belong in the same sentence, not now, not ever. I can't vouch for the EX700, as I've never owned one, but the EX1000 shouldn't be confused for an in-ear boasting excessive or exaggerated highs IMO.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2,275 of 4,748

Quote:
Quote:
The EX1000's treble is not by any means harsh or fatiguing, and in the few months I spent with them, I rarely even encountered sibilance. If anything, they sound very natural to my ears. In my most honest opinion, ear scratching treble and EX1000 don't belong in the same sentence, not now, not ever. I can't vouch for the EX700, as I've never owned one, but the EX1000 shouldn't be confused for an in-ear boasting excessive or exaggerated highs IMO.

Supposedly the EX600 are worse and the 700s aren't suppose to be too bad. But he finds these to be harsh so in reality he'll most likely find the EX1000 harsh as well. But he'll never know til hes tries. But its an expensive risk at that. Glad you didn't have issues with the treble spike but for me it wasn't fixable even with a very tight seal, although that did alleviate it a bit but not completely.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #2,276 of 4,748
As I see it, the treble spike isn't there per se, but rather as a result of driver, tips, fit and ear canal shape interacting. Considering the precarious fit with the EX600/1000 it's imo impossible to predict for an individual listener whether she/he will experience treble harshness. There's even one member who reported the treble spike gone when he switched from the EX1000's cables to the EX600's.

While treble harshness has been pretty much unanimously reported for the older EX700, this doesn't seem to be the case with the EX600 and EX1000. There are plenty of folks (including myself) who don't find the newer Sony's treble harsh at all. The only way to know for sure is to make use of Sony's return policy (in the US, or Amazon's in the EU) and try them for yourself.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #2,277 of 4,748
is

Quote:
There's even one member who reported the treble spike gone when he switched from the EX1000's cables to the EX600's.

Yup, I remember that guy, wonder what he's up to.  Probably busy purifying his crystals.  
tongue_smile.gif

I will say when I pick tips, I choose tips that let the bore breathe, I want to get the full picture of what a driver is doing.  I rarely if ever use tips to attenuate FR but if one were to do so they could find many phones can be much more rewarding and pleasing.  There are however measurements that show the lower treble bump.  
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #2,280 of 4,748
Quote:
There are however measurements that show the lower treble bump. 
wink.gif

Yes, I know. And how do they obtain these measurements? They stick an earpiece with a tip into a tube. Usually the tips used aren't even mentioned, let alone standardized across different IEM models. Now what does all that tell us about how any specific listener using specific tips with his specific ears will hear that phone?
wink.gif

On a more serious note, if there weren't several others who don't hear any harshness as well, I'd gladly attribute it to my alleged lower treble sensitivity. But as it is, I can hear harshness and sibilance on a lot of other phones, but not on the EX1000. Therefore I suspect it's rather a phenomenon that's caused (or exacerbated) by fit, tips and anatomy. jm2c, of course.

Quote:
The EX700 doesn't have any sibilance or harshness, the EX1000 is worse, as you can see in this picture:

Ok, let's see...
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Quote:
I liked the EX700's a lot apart from its piercing highs.

Quote:
Yep, I almost bought your pair anadin, but I was skeptical, and then I fatefully ended up with them anyway from another user that wanted to trade his pair, and wow, the first thing I noticed (with the standard Sony hybrids on) was the bass quality, it was immense, the second thing I noticed was my ears ringing after listening to them for half an hour.

Quote:
So far the synopsis is the harshness and colour of the EX700 is gone in the EX600 which has more mids and less soundstage than the EX1000.The main differences seem to be the material of the driver (ex7c vs ex6c/ex1k) and the housing (plastic in ex6c, magnesium in ex1k = different resonance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back