Sony D-25S
Feb 24, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #31 of 62
I think the 3400 probably just has better tracking and error-correction, that's why it doesn't skip easily.

The clamping system of the old Sony's like the D-25s is magnetic, it seems to clamp well enough. Only problem I heard of is that the clamping mechanism sometimes fails to center the disc properly, resulting in vibrations, in turn resulting in spindle motor ball-bearing problems.

Later models like the D-33, D-66, D-515, D-311 etc. have the plastick 'ball-bearing' type spindle hub. Problem with those is that the plastic clamps break very easily, almost all of the players I have with that system have broken clamps.

You cannot simply change the magnet clamping system with a ball-bearing clamping one. Maybe if you'd swap the spindle motors as well, but they would have to have the same specifications.

Feb 24, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #32 of 62
It never occured to me that the platter and spindler were magnetic...pretty cool. My precious assumptions are probably wrong then. I got the battery in today from....

http://www.battery-pro.net/camcorder/sony/bp-2x.htm

and it is working fine so far. It was a perfect fit. I will have to post a follow up thread once I find out if it charges when the battery drains. There isn't any info on the battery itself, so the confusion over it being li-ion is still unanswered. I don't know what it is, but it appears to be working so far.

Feb 27, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #33 of 62
This is from the sony website:

BATTERY PACK (BP-2EX) 152832542* $ 30.95

I think I will go with the rat shack wall wart and this battery.
Sony's adapter is $61.00

Feb 27, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

I think I will go with the rat shack wall wart and this battery.

That battery is not available. Try and order it.. you will get an email saying its no longer available. You have to physically call sony and special order it. And it is no longer just 30 bucks the price has risen to $50.

Feb 27, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

and it is working fine so far. It was a perfect fit. I will have to post a follow up thread once I find out if it charges when the battery drains. There isn't any info on the battery itself, so the confusion over it being li-ion is still unanswered. I don't know what it is, but it appears to be working so far.

How'd it work?

Feb 28, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #36 of 62
Well, its been used and charged twice now and it is working fine. I think I will order a second one now.....

Feb 28, 2003 at 8:38 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by viviorunitia4
can you use a external battery pack with the d-25?

Yes, that's possible. The backlight will stay on though, eating additional battery power. It does sound great with an external batterypack.

I'm using a rechargable batterypack for a Sega Gamegear, works perfectly without modification. It's a bit tricky to make an external batterypack with NiMH batteries, as eight of them measure about 11 volts when freshly charged. When the discman is running they measure under 9 volts though.

Feb 28, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #39 of 62
I just phoned Sony at 1-800 488-7669 and asked for the price and availability of a BP2EX battery, the price quoted was $30.95, they have 28 batteries currently in stock.
This is good news if you looking to purchase a battery, bad news if you just purchased one.

I didn’t ask if they would do anything for people who recently paid $51.54 for a battery. That would probably need to be discussed with a supervisor.

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

I didn’t ask if they would do anything for people who recently paid $51.54 for a battery. That would probably need to be discussed with a supervisor.

Wow this really pisses me off. I dont feel like going through the ******** of argueing with a supervisor (spent 3 hours at best buy doing that last week) so im just going to take the $20 hit. Just more fuel to add to the idiotic sony fire... Those dumbasses...grr

Mar 5, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #42 of 62
Just purchased a D25S from Silicon Salvage. Didn't even think about the battery...
redface.gif
Will it be dead from sitting in the warehouse so long? Do I need to go right out and buy a replacement battery? And it doesn't come with an AC-adapter so you can recharge the battery?

Please help an ignorant one!

Mar 5, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #43 of 62
the d25s from silicon salvage comes without battery at all. Anyway, the original battery is expensive (about 50$) and doesn't last long; some got good results with a radioshack battery pack/adapter. You can also use it as stationnary and buy a 15$ ratshack adapter, 9V, minimum 600mA, plug M.

Mar 5, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

the d25s from silicon salvage comes without battery at all.

D***! I guess I should have asked some questions - I did that bad thing and assumed that, since it was new in the box, it would come ready to use. Guess I'm old enough to know better.
frown.gif

I'm assuming that the ratshack adapter is a wall wart - ??? This means the D25S is not portable at all? If I buy the Sony battery, how can it be recharged?

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
D***! I guess I should have asked some questions - I did that bad thing and assumed that, since it was new in the box, it would come ready to use. Guess I'm old enough to know better.
frown.gif

I'm assuming that the ratshack adapter is a wall wart - ??? This means the D25S is not portable at all? If I buy the Sony battery, how can it be recharged?

No, you should have read the auction
wink.gif
All Silicon Salvage D-25S auctions include, right at the beginning:

"We are selling only what is pictured.
No Accessories,
No Power Supply,
No Battery,
Unit itself only."

I think that the Sony battery only lasts about 2-3 hours. I get about 5-6 hours out of this Radio Shack power bank (it functions as a wall wart, but it also can power the D-25S off of 4 NiMH AA's): http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back