Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Oct 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #31 of 471
Shure's CIEM version is already here (as a removable custom sleeve option) - the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS) are custom fitted to your ears and works with 99% of the current and past Shure models.

I am looking forward to demoing the Sony CIEM (universal demo version) at a California Head-Fi meet in the future (crossing fingers) as it would be great if the U.S. market could have a listen and decide for themselves if the CIEM will be on their next purchase short list.

Haven't seen Sony at a Head Fi meet. Closest you'll get is at THE Newport Show next year. Not seeing the hype though. Not like any have enough options for CIEM's nowadays. I guess people like their particular hypebeasts.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #32 of 471
From what I read, it is 1(or 2)BA+1DD, and it will be priced at JPY280,000.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 471
Haven't seen Sony at a Head Fi meet. Closest you'll get is at THE Newport Show next year. Not seeing the hype though. Not like any have enough options for CIEM's nowadays. I guess people like their particular hypebeasts.

Yeah, I have not seen Sony at any Head-Fi meets that I have attended either, hence the "crossing fingers" statement above.

I would not want to discredit Sony regarding hype or anything like that as I would at least like to refrain full judgement until listening to Sony's C/IEM on my own first - then coming to some type of opinion (but that's just me).  Hopefully Sony's C/IEM will sound great, and if not, they should be lowered in price accordingly. 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #34 of 471
  From what I read, it is 1(or 2)BA+1DD, and it will be priced at JPY280,000.

Oh snap.  Current dollar prices, that is $2,589.  Wow.  In that case, they have better have a 'marked' sound improvement over the highest rated CIEMs for that price! 
eek.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #36 of 471
On the Chinese headphone forums someone also hinted of a custom made headphone by Sony similar to the Q010. Not sure how reliable this information is however.

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #39 of 471
Hope they change the shell design - that cable socket sticks absurdly far out of the ear. What on earth were they thinking?

...However, that issue notwithstanding, it's nice to see Sony enter the CIEM marketplace. I doubt I'll buy Sony CIEMs, but their entry into the marketplace will help drive CIEMs into wider circulation, and that may benefit smaller, independent, CIEM firms, which may benefit us CIEM-users with a healthier and more competitive market.

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #40 of 471
2600 USD (2x HD800 cough cough)......when it comes to Japanese IEM/CIEM you are basically paying more for brand rather than paying for quality, even Sennhiser don't add that much of $$$ cause its a brand.

as a Hybrid these MUST out perform the 1+2 or Red1 or Merlin just before they have the right for that price, still since they are using sonion drivers, i think they can actually do it, but still... there is way cheaper options with 8-10 drivers which is high-end quality.

if i were a new to CIEMs the best option would be the "Custom Art", you don't pay for brands over there, and your $$$ goes for quality.

so will i get these? i will wait for the reviews, see how good these are, worth the $$$ or not, then ask for the tuning i want and go for it, cause right now this is a hobby for me, i got all the items that i want, and trying new things is for us head-fiers who got what they want but they still want new toys :p 

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #42 of 471
They are targeting musicians first from what I can tell. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #43 of 471
Yea, and professionals. Certainly a nice write-off come tax time.
Oh snap.  Current dollar prices, that is $2,589.  Wow.  In that case, they have better have a 'marked' sound improvement over the highest rated CIEMs for that price! :eek:  

They are targeting musicians first from what I can tell. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #44 of 471
Where did the posted pricing information come from?  At $2600 they're pricing themselves out of the market.

So was AK, or so some thought.

I agree it's expensive, but some people won't care and that market will continue to move up.

Yea, and professionals. Certainly a nice write-off come tax time.

Which would mean you're what, saving a moving target amount between like 12% and 40% tops, in the US? which is still a good discount I guess.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #45 of 471
This screams Japan only....

....the logistics of international ear molds and fit corrections could be mind boggling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back