Sonicweld/Cryo-Parts Diverter 96/24 USB to SPDIF Review
Sep 30, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #106 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like I said earlier. Buy one, or don't. It's your choice. Cool with me either way. This is probably not the product for you, as we have disclosed all that we are willing to at this point, and that is not enough. It is what it is.

Right ...

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #107 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're dead right. This isn't an audiophile forum, it's a gadget-phile forum.

And people are looking for the money shot, and are upset when they don't get it... but they're very unlikely to be satisfied or swayed even if they did have it.

Quote:

Also, very few people here have any understanding of business and engineering, let alone both.

And until they start their own audio businesses (and more than a few will try), most won't realize that the right combination of the two is exceedingly difficult to find. This is why we see many new companies at CES that aren't there one or two years later. And I say this as one who has learned some very hard lessons himself.

Quote:

Add to that a handful of people whom are so vocal about their extremely biased opinions that they post furiously to try and prove that they are right, and I'm surprised that you have bothered at all. However, your efforts are very welcome.
o2smile.gif

Thanks, Currawong. I've refrained from posting in forums for many years, but decided to give it a shot as an experiment. I appreciate hearing that my comments have been welcome.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #108 of 318
OK, you are a seller i am a buyer, you are advertising your product, i have a questions about product ...

Again, IF you are asking 1000 for your product, and i am asking why is that much you can simple say!

You CANT ... its a SECRET - you have to believe is worth that money or walk away ... I dont need all this talking about today bussiness, marketing, 6 layers design - that much parts etc etc ...

Just dont tell me i am wrong i am asking questions .. geez ...

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #109 of 318
What is your deal Komi, what is it that you want to know about the Diverter that hasn't already been said? Pretty much the only thing he's not posting is the picture of the board, which would hardly entertain you much - Josh has already said that unless you were him you'd have no way of interpreting it. Do you want the heavens to open up and for God himself to announce that this is the #1 USB to BNC converter?

This seems like the whole 'nice guys finish last' phenomenon - like when an awesome guy comes along and he's just too nice for the girl, to where she distrusts his kindness or mistakes it for him having something to hide. Whereas everyone wants the "bad boy," say the old Zero DACs that had loads of reports of problems but that people would always take a chance on to save money. There's so many horrible products out there that people eagerly buy up...$300 Dr. Dre headphones - you realize how much profit they make on those, relative to Josh's project of doing this Diverter from start to finish himself, using his own machines to make everything? Nobody ever wonders much about this.

If you can afford it, try it - you can always return it. Otherwise, you have no business judging it. I don't think anyone on headfi has seen me get this crazy and argumentative about something, I would only say all this unless I was really impressed with the product and then people came and told me that the product is not worthwhile. It made my HD800s go from sort of enjoyable, to exactly how I pictured them to sound before I got them.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #110 of 318
Quote:

You don't have the money or the system for it anyway, in your own words.

I never say i dont have money, i say IS NOT FOR ME, cuz i am not buying anything i dont know what i am buying ...

I pay 400 bucks for Headphone jevelry: Sterling Silver headphones with Black Swarowski crystals

Sure thing i would pay 1000 for some nice audio part, BUT ...

All talking i hear here is TALK to TALK ...

Best parts? like what - tell me what parts are ... Like other companies list the parts when they brag about it ...

Best PCB design, - SHOW ME, maybe just partialy like other companied do - when they want to hide something - or unpopulated PCB ...

Quote:

It really amazes me that people call this snake oil when this is so far the furthest thing from snake oil that I've ever seen - a designer that is truly attentive to detail with no limits on the design, just his own imagination.

Sure thing i call something "Snake Oil" when i dont have simple answer on simple questions like this ... And when something is under heavy mistery like this ... All i have here is YOUR PERSONAL opinion after testing unit - right ?

But, like i said - answer is - "IS SECRET" - there is no basic technical info about this unit, or meauserents or ANYTHING, just your claiming - is #1 ...

Not enough for me ...

That is MY DEAL ...

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #111 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really amazes me that people call this snake oil when this is so far the furthest thing from snake oil that I've ever seen - a designer that is truly attentive to detail with no limits on the design, just his own imagination.

I agree, this thing is not snake-oil. It's those $1000 usb cables that cryoparts sells that are snake-oil. At least this thing performs some modification to a signal. it may be overpriced, but at least it does something.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #112 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pay 400 bucks for Headphone jevelry: Sterling Silver headphones with Black Swarowski crystals

Now that is intense!

Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, like i said - answer is - "IS SECRET" - there is no basic technical info about this unit, or meauserents or ANYTHING, just your claiming - is #1 ...

x2
It would be a good idea to have a list of the components and also have an independent reviewer like Linuxworks make a review of this thing or have more impressions from head-fiers. So far, all we have is scooter raving about the product and he is connected in some way to Cryoparts.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #114 of 318
If you think I'm connected to cryo-parts, you need to get your head examined. It's been said time and time again that while I do buy parts from there sometimes, I haven't been getting any special deals. I bought a Diverter because I needed one, and it's doing its job nicely.

I've been curious about the fancy USB cables to the point that I've DIY'd my own. They do make a difference. I've talked to Lee about how they are designed and there's more than meets the eyes, so check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Here, I'll help you with the parts list:

DALE VISHAY RESISTORS
ALPS VOLUME CONTROLLER
DUELUND SILVER FOIL RESISTORS
VCAP TEFLON CAPACITORS
VAMPIRE RCA JACKS
NEUTRIK HEADPHONE JACK
MUNDORF SILVER SIGNAL WIRING

There you go. Your questions answered**

**between 0 and all of these products are in the Diverter

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #115 of 318
Quote:

I've been curious about the fancy USB cables to the point that I've DIY'd my own. They do make a difference. I've talked to Lee about how they are designed and there's more than meets the eyes, so check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Dated references to Ice Cube aside, sure they do, sure they do...

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #116 of 318
Quote:

Here, I'll help you with the parts list:

DALE VISHAY RESISTORS
ALPS VOLUME CONTROLLER
VCAP TEFLON CAPACITORS
VAMPIRE RCA JACKS
NEUTRIK HEADPHONE JACK
MUNDORF SILVER SIGNAL WIRING

There you go. Your questions answered**

**between 0 and all of these products are in the Diverter

Never hear about THIS kind of resistor, but - maybe is part of "SECRET" ...

Hum, i just wonder how VCAP fit in that small anclosure ...

Really ... All other components you mention is far from High End ! Its a everyday DIYers components ...

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #117 of 318
I will agree that I don't think this product is snake oil. To me, it seems like it might be overkill for its function with a price tag to match. To others, it might just be what someones looking for. I definitely do not believe its going to transform any DAC from ehhh to OMG with the HD800. The designer made some valid points on design that I enjoyed and am satisfied with. I don't see myself as a consumer of it, but I don't think anyone was worried about that. I support that Josh and retailers may charge whatever they want. I admit that so much polish on a converter along with that price tag bothered me, I tend to lean more to the industrial "right tool at the right price for the job" side of things so much that I would be embarrassed to admit spending that much on a USB to spdif converter. Many people would easily say the same thing about my headphones. Wish you luck in the biz, looking forward to what you with the DAC you mentioned. I'm sure you know the chip mongers are going to want details and real measurements much more on that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #118 of 318
And as usual Komi didn't get my joke. Reread my post, slowly.

The diverter may be overkill for a lot of systems, however it's not just for us headfiers but a variety of expensive setups. I have a $1400 retail DAC and it was a meaningful enhancement to that.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #119 of 318
It might be overkill for you too. The very likely cheap SPDIF reciever in your DAC is the next bottleneck, I wonder if you should spend $1K on it now for another minimal improvement. I'd bet that its re-clocking this amazingly great signal your getting anyway (almost all do, especially the modern). It would be interesting to know what is left in difference to another converter after that.

I also hope you have at least $1k in music files, though its still sad that your not getting SACD or HDCD with it and the diverter. I mainly use a computer as transport as well, but $1k could have done a lot towards a greater then redbook transport that does SACD, HDCD, and Blu-ray audio. Imagine what a $2.4k DAC could sound like over what you have now, it very possibly could sound noticeably better. How do you justify a digital converter that in your case is worth almost as much as your entire DAC for computer audio? All the components (save the cables) in your rig seem to be working their way towards roughly the same price.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #120 of 318
Quote:

And as usual Komi didn't get my joke. Reread my post, slowly.

The diverter may be overkill for a lot of systems, however it's not just for us headfiers but a variety of expensive setups. I have a $1400 retail DAC and it was a meaningful enhancement to that.

OK, my bad ....

And you are right, is overkill ... Your opinion make me buy one ... LoL ... *

My only problem is what color of this anodized aluminum brick will fit my wallpapers :frowning2: **

* is joke
** another joke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back