Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Apr 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #46 of 1,216
Quote:
But the Microstreamer can act as just a DAC, which is what I'd be doing and pairing it with my Arrow amp. I bought the LX last week, along with the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly is going back, and the Microstreamer will be showing up today. The Microstreamer is newer, has asynch, and I also like the idea that if I wanted or needed, it could be my only unit (if I didn't have the Arrow with me).

i just got my microstreamer today, loving it so far !
i too may use another head/pre for my a2's.
and if i wanna take my music on the road, just take the micro and roll !
i have the fiio e9k coming, hope that will sound good, or not muck up the microstreamer's sound too much

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #47 of 1,216
michael,

when your review of the microstreamer first appeared online i was looking for a dac/amp solution .
i was looking for something better than the fiio e10 i'd had for a while
tried the modi, a bravo tube headphone amp, the audioengine d1, and the microstreamer was so new, i couldn't find one.
i was pretty much settled on the d1, its combination of sound , and features
build, and price, i was pretty happy, its a fun little piece of gear.
 well, developed a little problem with the d1 i had, i returned it(amazon)
and amazon had a microstreamer . so.....
well, it came today , and a pair of alessandro ms1's(already have some sr225i's)

anyway,
when a reviewer raves, goes nuts over a product, (especially when they disclose they formally worked for the company of said product)
i usually take it with a grain of salt,
most of the time, the associated equipment used in the review is way more "high end", sophisticated, just better
than what i have, what i use.
so i wonder i suppose , will i really hear any differences, improvements in sound quality of a new product.
well, you, and they others who've written about this little gem, were right on the money !!
the microstreamer is jam up , and jelly tight !!

keep on trucking
jay

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #48 of 1,216
I just listened to the MS as a DAC only by connecting my O2 amp through the lineout port of the MS.  I give slight edge to the headphone out of the MS.  So, with my very efficient Blox TM7, the MS amp is marginally better than the highly regarded O2 amp.  It should be noted that I used a very cheap generic mini-mini cable from MS to O2.  This could have hampered the O2's performance.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #49 of 1,216
Quote:
I just listened to the MS as a DAC only by connecting my O2 amp through the lineout port of the MS.  I give slight edge to the headphone out of the MS.  So, with my very efficient Blox TM7, the MS amp is marginally better than the highly regarded O2 amp.  It should be noted that I used a very cheap generic mini-mini cable from MS to O2.  This could have hampered the O2's performance.

the headphone amp in the ms is very good indeed, the head amp i have ordered is the fiio e9k, and the only reason i really would like
to use it, is switching between my a2's, and my headphones.
the fiio's price is right, and its so flexible, as long as it doesn't sound "bad" i'll probably keep it,
and i'm sure i'll use the ms's head section often as well !!

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #50 of 1,216
well, at first note, i new i was keeping the e9 , the combination of the microstreamer and the e9 is what i was looking for.
the e9 isn't really needed either, the streamer is great by itself, the e9 doesn't take away anything that i can tell, if anything,
the headphone amp is nicer. huge volume control, feels like quality.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #51 of 1,216
Quote:
well, at first note, i new i was keeping the e9 , the combination of the microstreamer and the e9 is what i was looking for.
the e9 isn't really needed either, the streamer is great by itself, the e9 doesn't take away anything that i can tell, if anything,
the headphone amp is nicer. huge volume control, feels like quality.

the e9 sounds interesting @Jaywillin!!

Do you think it would be worth it to get one for review, and do a follow-up on my microStreamer review - w/ the e9 as well??

Now that the other audiophile bibles have embraced the HRT microStreamer  - I feel its good timing to do something like a follow-up
as I was very blessed to get the editorial scoop on this wonderful lil piece a kit (using it right now w/ my V-MODA Crossfade M-100's - WHEW)

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #52 of 1,216
Quote:
michael,

when your review of the microstreamer first appeared online i was looking for a dac/amp solution .
i was looking for something better than the fiio e10 i'd had for a while
tried the modi, a bravo tube headphone amp, the audioengine d1, and the microstreamer was so new, i couldn't find one.
i was pretty much settled on the d1, its combination of sound , and features
build, and price, i was pretty happy, its a fun little piece of gear.
 well, developed a little problem with the d1 i had, i returned it(amazon)
and amazon had a microstreamer . so.....
well, it came today , and a pair of alessandro ms1's(already have some sr225i's)

anyway,
when a reviewer raves, goes nuts over a product, (especially when they disclose they formally worked for the company of said product)
i usually take it with a grain of salt,
most of the time, the associated equipment used in the review is way more "high end", sophisticated, just better
than what i have, what i use.
so i wonder i suppose , will i really hear any differences, improvements in sound quality of a new product.
well, you, and they others who've written about this little gem, were right on the money !!
the microstreamer is jam up , and jelly tight !!

keep on trucking
jay

Wow Jay.

I'm humbled by your response to my review.  

I poured my gut into that piece (like I do em all, but that little aluminum brick just dazzled me) - I always disclose ANY past professional relationship to the manufacturer when I write about gear - I know that can seem fishy, but it also means I know Kevin Halverson, and I know what he's capable of!

I'm really blessed to be hearing from people in the Head-Fi community who've made purchase decisions based on my writing!  It's a responsibility I do NOT take lightly.  After all, people can say what they want Harry Pearson, but he was my original mentor and teacher.  Who better to learn from about pouring your soul into a gear review?!?!

I admit I love writing about music most of all - but, the gear is the conduit!!!!  I just feel great that you guys are enjoying this component as much as I have.

Jay:
Sometimes I share a note from a reader on my FB wall - mind if I share this note??
It really resonated with me.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #53 of 1,216
Quote:
the e9 sounds interesting @Jaywillin!!

Do you think it would be worth it to get one for review, and do a follow-up on my microStreamer review - w/ the e9 as well??

Now that the other audiophile bibles have embraced the HRT microStreamer  - I feel its good timing to do something like a follow-up
as I was very blessed to get the editorial scoop on this wonderful lil piece a kit (using it right now w/ my V-MODA Crossfade M-100's - WHEW)

when i got the eo9k, it was really just so i could leave all the cables connected when i switched between my a2's, and my headphones.
i'm very new to headphone listening, the only head amps i had listened were  in the e10, the d1, and bravo, and the micro, so as
long as the fiio didn't sound bad, i was planning on keeping it, it was only$109 off amazon.
since the fiio got here, i bet 90+% of my listening has been with my headphones. the e9 just really surprised
me more than the microstreamer, i kinda expected the streamer would be good.
 i haven't heard any of the other $300 dac/amp units that are hot right now, and some may sound better, probably
aren't as flexible, i just know how good it sounds to me, and how i'm now hooked on headphones, (the grado's had something to with it too)

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #54 of 1,216
Quote:
Wow Jay.

I'm humbled by your response to my review.  

I poured my gut into that piece (like I do em all, but that little aluminum brick just dazzled me) - I always disclose ANY past professional relationship to the manufacturer when I write about gear - I know that can seem fishy, but it also means I know Kevin Halverson, and I know what he's capable of!

I'm really blessed to be hearing from people in the Head-Fi community who've made purchase decisions based on my writing!  It's a responsibility I do NOT take lightly.  After all, people can say what they want Harry Pearson, but he was my original mentor and teacher.  Who better to learn from about pouring your soul into a gear review?!?!

I admit I love writing about music most of all - but, the gear is the conduit!!!!  I just feel great that you guys are enjoying this component as much as I have.

Jay:
Sometimes I share a note from a reader on my FB wall - mind if I share this note??
It really resonated with me.

share away,
to me, the ultimate test for a piece of  audio equipment is, am i listening to the music, or the gear ? if i'm sitting there going" is it doing this right, or that wrong", thats not fun, (maybe a little).
but if my toes are tapping, head bobbing, singing along, grooving as it were, then, the piece, or gear has done its job !

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #55 of 1,216
and it would be kinda cool to see what someone who has much more experience with headphones, and headphone "stuff"
and has more of a base of reference in this area thinks about the fiio amp, hell i could be way off, just being so new

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #56 of 1,216
Quote:

How about the gain/volume. Is the headphone jack of the microstreamer at least as loud as the low gain output of the jdslabs o2(when the hrtdac is connected to o2 via lineout)?

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #58 of 1,216
Quote:
 share away,
to me, the ultimate test for a piece of  audio equipment is, am i listening to the music, or the gear ? if i'm sitting there going" is it doing this right, or that wrong", thats not fun, (maybe a little).
but if my toes are tapping, head bobbing, singing along, grooving as it were, then, the piece, or gear has done its job !

AMEN!!

I say the SAME THING in my equipment reviews!  To me, the best Hi-fi - both in-room and personal audio, sound like no Hi-fi at all.  It's just me and the music and I'm not thinking about the equipment at all!

I'm so pleased to see you say this.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #59 of 1,216
Quote:
AMEN!!

I say the SAME THING in my equipment reviews!  To me, the best Hi-fi - both in-room and personal audio, sound like no Hi-fi at all.  It's just me and the music and I'm not thinking about the equipment at all!

I'm so pleased to see you say this.

in my early days of this hobby, looking to get my first "real" stereo system, (something other than a rack system that came in one box),
i really preferred the sound of tubes, i generally found solid state bright, shiny, artificial sounding.
then i heard a linn system, i loved it, but really couldn't say why, it just sounded like music, it had soul, i remember telling the salesman, its grooving ! lol
i thinks thats why i fell in love with the grado's sound, it sounds alive, i can see how some could say they are to forward, but the first really good
set of headphones i had ever heard were the sr60i's, they reminded me of hearing that little linn system 25 or so years ago, they just rocked.
when i saw a set of 225's on amazon for $150, i jumped all over them, i love them.
and with the microstreamer, then the e9, my toes tap, and head bobs a lot !
all that, with a computer, and no tubes, pretty cool

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #60 of 1,216
I'm looking forward to more reviews of this little device, and especially more comparisons!
Seems like it could be a nice step up from my FiiO E10 without having to get into desktop DACs and amps. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back