Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #31 of 1,216
Quote:
Hi guys,

following this threat with great interest. Thanks mike for your insight about the combination of the centrance ADS and the HRT microstreamer.
As for the comparaison with the meridian devise, for what it worth, here is what whathifi reviewer thought about it:

I'm also interested if you could specified that audioquest cable you are talking about to connect the HRT to the ADS.
Best regards guys.

hey there!  Thanks for the kind words!

Sorry, I should have specified: I actually ended up using my reference Mini-RCA cable (as I've been using it for YEARS) - my Nordost Heimdall iKable (no longer offered unfortunately)
but they sent me an Audioquest Victoria RCA-Mini that also worked well despite my skepticism about the battery/Dielectric Bias System on the cable...

I recommend using an interconnect you're familiar with: get your local shop to build you a cable based on that - OR, I'd be surprised if ALO doesn't offer a solution!  

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #32 of 1,216
Mike,
Your write-ups may have just convinced me to take the plunge!
Been on the fence re dragonfly, meridian etc - but the microstreamer looks like the one - good cost vs performance...
(android phone compatibility is just a bonus!)

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #35 of 1,216
Quote:
Mike,
Your write-ups may have just convinced me to take the plunge!
Been on the fence re dragonfly, meridian etc - but the microstreamer looks like the one - good cost vs performance...
(android phone compatibility is just a bonus!)

I sincerely hope you enjoy it!
I'm rockin it right now!!

Man how Kevin Halverson packed so much musical performance into this thing is beyond me!!

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #36 of 1,216
Quote:
Can anyone compare this to the DACport LX? 

This would be a difficult comparison, as you'd be comparing a DAC to a DAC/headphone amp combo.

The DACport LX is the DACport (DAC + headphone amplifier) minus the headphone amp section.

Do you currently own a DACport LX and would be considering if you need to get a MicroStreamer instead??

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #37 of 1,216
Quote:
This would be a difficult comparison, as you'd be comparing a DAC to a DAC/headphone amp combo.

The DACport LX is the DACport (DAC + headphone amplifier) minus the headphone amp section.

Do you currently own a DACport LX and would be considering if you need to get a MicroStreamer instead??

But the Microstreamer can act as just a DAC, which is what I'd be doing and pairing it with my Arrow amp. I bought the LX last week, along with the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly is going back, and the Microstreamer will be showing up today. The Microstreamer is newer, has asynch, and I also like the idea that if I wanted or needed, it could be my only unit (if I didn't have the Arrow with me).

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #38 of 1,216
My initial findings are that they're just...different.The DACport LX is polite and has more instrument separation, while the Microstreamer is definitely faster and more forward. At this point I'm not really sure what to do. The Microstreamer is cheaper and the firmware can be upgraded (although I'm not sure what use that will have, practically). The DACport still comes off as being the more refined piece of hardware, with less color to the music overall. A part of me is saying to just go with the smaller, cheaper Microstreamer and then upgrade for the next big (or little) thing in a year or two, while another is saying the DACport is just rock solid as a portable DAC that should last a long time. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #39 of 1,216
I am somewhat confused by a post in this thread that states that Poweramp can be used to output music files from a smartphone to the HRT Streamer. In reading posts on the Poweramp forum, users talk about adding this functionality to the Poweramp software, or alternatively, linking Poweramp up with Pro Audio Recorder software, the software people are using to connect their smartphones to an external DAC.Can anyone clarify?

GLR

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #40 of 1,216
It's because the galaxy Note 2 can works natively with a hrt microstreamer it doesn't need the USB audio recorder pro app.
But not all the Note 2 i think (depending on your region because there is different hardware)
Maybe some other android smartphone can but I don't' know at the moment.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #41 of 1,216
Quote:
My initial findings are that they're just...different.The DACport LX is polite and has more instrument separation, while the Microstreamer is definitely faster and more forward. At this point I'm not really sure what to do. The Microstreamer is cheaper and the firmware can be upgraded (although I'm not sure what use that will have, practically). The DACport still comes off as being the more refined piece of hardware, with less color to the music overall. A part of me is saying to just go with the smaller, cheaper Microstreamer and then upgrade for the next big (or little) thing in a year or two, while another is saying the DACport is just rock solid as a portable DAC that should last a long time. 

How'd we end up here brotha??

I'm glad we've been corresponding over this

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #42 of 1,216
Just picked up the Microstreamer yesterday.  Out of the box, I can already tell it's better than the Dragonfly. It's very close to the ODAC+O2 combo.  Could possibly surpass with more burn-in.  Listening with Blox TM7 earbuds and Westone 4 IEM's.  Quick question - has anyone tried the HRT MS with the AMR iUSB power supply?  From what I've read, results vary depending on the specific USB device.  Reviews have stated the iUSB greatly improves the DF but the improvements were subtle with other DACs.  So I was wondering if anyone has tried it with the MS.  Much thanks.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #43 of 1,216
Just picked up the Microstreamer yesterday.  Out of the box, I can already tell it's better than the Dragonfly. It's very close to the ODAC+O2 combo.  Could possibly surpass with more burn-in. 

I have one coming to me in a week.

With only USB bus power there is no way the microStreamer is as powerful as an ODAC+O2 combo, right? Do you double-amp the microStreamer if you want to use them with Aud'ezes or Beyer T1s?

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #44 of 1,216
You know, I drive my LCD3's all day with the HRT microStreamer when I'm on the road, if I have very little room for stuff - NO problem for my listening levels - 
and I BANG underground tech house, trap, everybody from Burial to Nosaj Thing and Shlohmo!!  

This is very personal, so my limit may obviously be different from yours - I've heard people listen to my Audeze cans so loud
I can't believe it sometimes!! (NOT saying you would do that)

Here it is driving mine, and this is a photo from the review!!  I reviewed the microStreamer using my LCD3's, and JH Audio JH-13 Freqphase for IEMS.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #45 of 1,216
Quote:
Just picked up the Microstreamer yesterday.  Out of the box, I can already tell it's better than the Dragonfly. It's very close to the ODAC+O2 combo.  Could possibly surpass with more burn-in.  Listening with Blox TM7 earbuds and Westone 4 IEM's.  Quick question - has anyone tried the HRT MS with the AMR iUSB power supply?  From what I've read, results vary depending on the specific USB device.  Reviews have stated the iUSB greatly improves the DF but the improvements were subtle with other DACs.  So I was wondering if anyone has tried it with the MS.  Much thanks.

I haven't tried the iUSB with the Music Streamer - but I did try it with a CEntrance DACport LX for a fellow member who was wondering.
Now - I hear a huge difference with the iUSB power supply connected to my Sonicweld Diverter (between the Diverter and MacBook Pro
running Amarra) - which leads to my dCs Delius DAC.  There I can tell the difference within a few notes.

With the CEntrance LX - I could tell some differences, especially with the "Iso-Earth" engaged on the iUSB, but not as profound as in
the big system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back