Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
Jan 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #31 of 331
Quote:

C'mon, you said you had a high IQ......all did was ask politely for something you agreed to provide three days ago!   LOL.

Thanks for taking the time comparing the two........................................................But I hear my Cute S500's way differntly than you do yours!  I will have the Somics on Saturday, and soon after I will have some impressions, and comparisons to my S500's!

It was two days ago, and I agreed to do it soon. (I use relative words to weasel my way out of responsibility. Works every time. xD)

Quote:
I don't think it would take much to open up the sound stage over the HA-S500. That was the one real complaint I had on my reviewed pair. Great comparison Cash. I look forward to them for certain. The way you describe them I am wondering how far off something like the Sony V6 is in comparison.

I remember hearing the MDR-7506 (the sibling of the V6) at a meet once a few months ago. It's not on the same plane as either of these. I wouldn't mess with it. Kind of a more veiled version of the ATH-M50, as I remember it.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #32 of 331
Quote:
^ yeah thanks Cash for all that hard work. Don't mind cute, he got a few wires loose up there. HEY CUTE WHY DON'T YOU RE-CABLE THAT JUST FOR FUNZIES AS WELL?!!! : P

No loose wires, just dumbentia!  
confused_face_2.gif
  Probably won't be keeping them for more than an audition.....I might recable the AD900X though, if they measure up to all of the hype, but, I have recabled a few ATH headphones in the past, and ended up selling all three.  Still have the Cute S500's though!

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #33 of 331
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif
  Probably won't be keeping them for more than an audition.....I might recable the AD900X though, if they measure up to all of the hype, but, I have recabled a few ATH headphones in the past, and ended up selling all three.  Still have the Cute S500's though!

It's OK! I have Sometimers.

You haven't even gotten them yet and you're gonna ship them back! That's cold. xD

By the way, these things are growing some serious bass extension. I can effectively say that they sound nothing like I remember them sounding out of the box. OK...nothing's a bit of an exaggeration, but they are constantly improving.

If they're anything less than amazing after the first week or so, try some HM5 or (better yet) 840 pads.  That dampening material on the back of the 840 pads, combined with the fully over-ear fit they give it, send this headphone to the stratosphere.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #34 of 331
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

N/M My genius is loss on you. Wasn't serious about that re-cable question anyways but it's good to know what your mad evil plans are for them anyways................

YA MON, can't wait for you to compare it to those modded S500s of yours. It's what i have been looking forward to this entire time. Will be interesting to see what those ATH ADs does for you. I'll keep my eye out on that for-sale forum for those S500s of yours.
wink_face.gif

Gonna be the 1st one to low ball you!
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #35 of 331
Quote:
It's OK! I have Sometimers.

You haven't even gotten them yet and you're gonna ship them back! That's cold. xD

By the way, these things are growing some serious bass extension. I can effectively say that they sound nothing like I remember them sounding out of the box. OK...nothing's a bit of an exaggeration, but they are constantly improving.

If they're anything less than amazing after the first week or so, try some HM5 or (better yet) 840 pads.  That dampening material on the back of the 840 pads, combined with the fully over-ear fit they give it, send this headphone to the stratosphere.

The pads on the Somic's look round?  The HM5 and 840 pads are oval, what's up with that!  I have both the HM5 and 840 pads......did you try the HM5 pads on the S500......bigger soundstage, more airy and spacious.  But, you need to EQ the low end or do some other modds with the HM5 pads for them to fulfill!

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #36 of 331
Quote:

The pads on the Somic's look round?  The HM5 and 840 pads are oval, what's up with that!  I have both the HM5 and 840 pads......did you try the HM5 pads on the S500......bigger soundstage, more airy and spacious.  But, you need to EQ the low end or do some other modds with the HM5 pads for them to fulfill!

It's a loose fit. A very loose fit. Not quite, "Don't move or it will fall off." loose, but it's not a perfect fit.

Doesn't matter. Sounds awesome.

I did not try the HM5 pads on the S500. I suppose I should probably do that. xD

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #37 of 331
Quote:
N/M My genius is loss on you. Wasn't serious about that re-cable question anyways but it's good to know what your mad evil plans are for them anyways................

YA MON, can't wait for you to compare it to those modded S500s of yours. It's what i have been looking forward to this entire time. Will be interesting to see what those ATH ADs does for you. I'll keep my eye out on that for-sale forum for those S500s of yours.
wink_face.gif

Gonna be the 1st one to low ball you!
biggrin.gif

I've got a modd for you.....I braided a short extension cable out of DHC high purity copper wire, and reversed left and right channels to wear IEM's over ear on opposite ears.  Well, you would not believe how suprised I was, with that cable between the IEM cable and my HP amp, all of my IEM's improved in clarity, soundstage, imaging to a huge margin.  My RE272's have never, ever sounded so good.  Soundstage is as wide as my cable modded S500.  With that cable in between IEM and source, the sound takes on the quality of the extension cable.  I am still experimenting, and in a few days I will be making another extension cable using SPC, silver plated copper, with pure copper returns.  What a find.....I had to listen to all of my test tunes with the RE272's and that little extension cable for the last two days.  Florence + The Machine sounding like she is singing in a huge dome, live in concert!  Here I am, looking for better IEM's and Headphones, and here they are right in my lap and in front of me!

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #38 of 331
Quote:
It's a loose fit. A very loose fit. Not quite, "Don't move or it will fall off." loose, but it's not a perfect fit.

Doesn't matter. Sounds awesome.

I did not try the HM5 pads on the S500. I suppose I should probably do that. xD

Did you try the HM5 pads on the Somic's, there are modds to make them stay on, and modds to make them sound better!

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #39 of 331
Quote:

Did you try the HM5 pads on the Somic's, there are modds to make them stay on, and modds to make them sound better!

Yes, I tried them. They stay on fairly well without mods, actually. I didn't have any issues. A mod to make them sound better with HM5 pads would be to add dampening (foam?) to the back of the pads. A mod to make them stay on better? Hmm...I can't think of any ideas.

(The 840 pads have the perfect amount of dampening.)

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #40 of 331
And I think I've found a sound-alike.

Note: not the AKG K240 Studio, or the AKG K240 Sextett, but the good old AKG K240 Monitor. A lovely, fairly neutral set of cans (that can usually be had on the cheap).

Mind you, my K240 Studios have Creative WoW pads with extra foam dampening on the back.

Also, the Somics totally sound better, but it's a similar signature.

Slightly bassy, but awesome mids, a nondescript treble, and a huge soundstage.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #41 of 331
EFi-82 impressions are coming in on the Discovery thread.

People are really liking these things, it seems. Awesomeness! Now if Somic can get their supply chain and logistics worked out and start making more of these things!

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #42 of 331
One thing I don't get about the first post ... what is taboo about "mid-fi?" Don't people get that "mid-fi" doesn't describe $50 headphones? Mid-fi is used to describe things like the Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda M80/M100, Sennheiser HD-25 II, Audio Technica AD900, etc etc. Phones you generally find in the $300 range are "mid-fi" with things like the Hifiman HE-500, Sennheiser HD650, Audeze LCD-2 and higher up being "hi-fi"

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #43 of 331
One thing I don't get about the first post ... what is taboo about "mid-fi?" Don't people get that "mid-fi" doesn't describe $50 headphones? Mid-fi is used to describe things like the Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda M80/M100, Sennheiser HD-25 II, Audio Technica AD900, etc etc. Phones you generally find in the $300 range are "mid-fi" with things like the Hifiman HE-500, Sennheiser HD650, Audeze LCD-2 and higher up being "hi-fi"

Replace every instance of mid-fi with upper-lo-fi, if that helps. As a broke 16 year old, hi-fi has a very inclusive definition to me. XD.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #44 of 331
Quote:
Replace every instance of mid-fi with upper-lo-fi, if that helps. As a broke 16 year old, hi-fi has a very inclusive definition to me. XD.

I just don't want there to be a stigma around the usage, is all, haha. Because I firmly believe the biggest jump in noticeable quality difference is going from lo-fi/nothing-fi to mid-fi. Then the jump from mid-fi to hi-fi is a lot more understated and veiled. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #45 of 331
I just don't want there to be a stigma around the usage, is all, haha. Because I firmly believe the biggest jump in noticeable quality difference is going from lo-fi/nothing-fi to mid-fi. Then the jump from mid-fi to hi-fi is a lot more understated and veiled. 

Agreed. I'll edit it once I get to my computer. Funny you mention it though,because I haven't discovered this much new stuff about my music since my first upgrade from iBuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back