Something for Audio-Technica fans to consider. (Sorry, got a little wordy).
Sep 16, 2008 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
Missing the sound of my A900s, I decided that I should return, however, being swayed by reading people refer to them as mid-fi even compared to headphones that don't cost much more (and in some cases less money), I decided to go for the Ti's which happened to be nearing the end of their short run. I noticed that the A900Ti's had a more forward sound than I recall the A900s having, and also, the bass was reduced (and yet wasn't not necessarily better quality). While they sounded pretty good and did do a couple of things the regular 900s don't, I wasn't really satisfied with the sound for some reason.

Well, I moved on to a pair of W5000s which just blew me away. It was one of maybe 4 or 5 real wow moments I've had in audio. However, they were not perfect. The bass was lacking in impact, and the fit left something to be desired. The pads on them are kinda strange in my opinion.

Now I'm back to regular A900s, and to be quite honest, I'm enjoying them a lot. I certainly miss some of what makes the W5000s great (namely the speed and effortless detail), but they sound more right to me, and in fact I like them better than the Ti version. Being baffled by this I thought about some things.

What I've concluded, but am now unfortunately unable to try myself, is to put the regular A900 pads on the W5000. I know, this is borderline blasphemous, exchanging the lambskin (?) for the crappy pleather of the A900s pads, but the increased padding should help both with the bass and the fit, and might make all the difference for those that can see what makes the W5000s great but can't live with those two shortfalls (which seems to be most people, although Fitz helped quite a few of them).

A further thing to look into is the pads on the L3000, which seems to be perhaps the king of bass as far as dynamic headphones are concerned. I'm curious if the pads might be a big contribution to this. Ideally, maybe at some meet, we could have a variety of A-T pads and have people compare them to see if a consensus can be made, which would help quite a bit of people (I've seen several that have at least considered putting W5000 pads on their regular A900s, and so this could help for a variety of headphones as well). Maybe even confirm/refute what pads in fact do fit the various headphones (I have yet to see an absolute confirmation/refutation of the velour pads of the AD series fitting the A and W series and vice versa).

Cliffs:
1. Had A900s
2. Had A900Ti's (felt something was missing)
3. Had W5000s, experienced fit and bass issues
4. Went back to A900s, did some soul searching (
atsmile.gif
)
5. A900 pads on W5000? (SAY WHAT?!?!)
6. Maybe try various A-T pads with various other A-T phones at a meet?

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm dissapointed to hear about comfort issues on W5000.

Its not so much comfort as it is fit. If the pads had say just 1/4" thicker padding I think it would be hugely beneficial to enjoyment of the sound for a lot of people. Also, the pads have a kinda funny shape, where the back side has almost a lip, which I suppose is meant for it to sit back on your head and kinda wrap around, but that would not be a good fit so I'm left wondering what they had in mind.

Oh, and I don't want to mislead anyone. The issues I had with it was not the reason I got rid of them. In fact, I will be getting them again at some point but due to my current financial situation that might be a little while. I also want to build up a solid source and amp to better evaluate them.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 19
I find my A900's awesome... Im glad you are back to yours! They are the only pair of headphones i would never Sell
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 19
I feel the same way about the AD700's. So far they've made me sell the HD580's and prior to that I've bought the K701's and DT880's, neither of which wowed me as much as the AD700's.

I'm considering selling it all and just keeping the AD700s
ph34r.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, the A900s are my reference headphone. I tried (and liked) Sennheiser prior to owning them, but I managed to get a deal when I was buying both the A900 and HD595 from someone (I wanted the 595s and had no interest in the A900s). There's just something about them that sounds "right" to my ears.

I will say, I do miss the the nice texture of the W5000 pads. If the L3000 is something of a combination, I might just have to spring for a pair.

I just bought a pair of D2000s from someone on here and will be giving them a try. I will say I'm skeptical that they'll win me over, but I want to at least hear them. If they do, then great, if not, then that's fine too. I will need to let the A900s burn in since I just got them last week (right now I do wish the bass was just a little less). I'll always be an A900 fanboy though. Hmm, not sure if I should derail my own thread before I really get anyone to try what I'm suggesting. Oh well.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the same way about the AD700's. So far they've made me sell the HD580's and prior to that I've bought the K701's and DT880's, neither of which wowed me as much as the AD700's.

I'm considering selling it all and just keeping the AD700s
ph34r.gif

Really? Is it because you were using the K701's and DT880's without an amp? I'm asking because I was about to fork out for the Beyers but started hearing all these great things about the AD700's, which are half the price.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Is it because you were using the K701's and DT880's without an amp? I'm asking because I was about to fork out for the Beyers but started hearing all these great things about the AD700's, which are half the price.

Nope. Using a Little Dot MK II tube amp with both, and the AD700's.

Of course everyone's opinions differ so you may not agree...

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 19
a900s were fun at first but the inorganic and thin mids gave them away. If you want maybe a high end sounding bassy can like the a900s, you should try the jvc dx1000

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a900s were fun at first but the inorganic and thin mids gave them away. If you want maybe a high end sounding bassy can like the a900s, you should try the jvc dx1000

Hmm, I will have to check them out at some point as well then. What about speed and detail, how do they compare to the W5000s? They seem to be pretty far from your ears (the pads look really thick), which I've found to not be too pleasing with headphones. It increases the bass but it sounds like you're listening through a fog. I think that is what I like about the A900s, they seem to be at just the right position. Currently, they do suffer a bit from the fog, so there's a decent chance that unless my source/amp helps things, I will be modding them to tone the bass down a bit and enhance clarity.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Using a Little Dot MK II tube amp with both, and the AD700's.

Of course everyone's opinions differ so you may not agree...

See, I didn't want to be one of those guys who come in here and create a "What should I buy thread" within their first five posts. But now you've confused me (in a good way, of course), so I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 19
I own both AD700 and DT880 with Meier Aria.I think AD700 is sort of fun headphone.I just have more fun hearing music with it.Maybe I like Fraseyboy only love its sound.Maybe I like coloured sound than something neutral.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both AD700 and DT880 with Meier Aria.I think AD700 is sort of fun headphone.I just have more fun hearing music with it.Maybe I like Fraseyboy only love its sound.Maybe I like coloured sound than something neutral.

I got the impression from reviews that the AD700 is pretty neutral itself, and that the weakness of both phones is a slight lack of bass.

The OP in this thread seems to strongly disagree with you guys:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...namped-362341/

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 19
I agree with that review, I just have different values.

The DT880's are much more clear and detailed with far superior bass, but the soundstage isn't anywhere near as good as the AD700's and they have less energy and sound less 'fun'. Plus the mids on the DT880's are slightly recessed.

It really depends on what your looking for in headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back