some dishonesty in the Truthlinks
Feb 2, 2002 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jaghouse

100+ Head-Fier
I got a set of 1m RCA Harmonic Tech Truthlinks a couple of weeks ago from Audiogon in hopes that I would gain some bass extension, move the midrange up some (more forward), and put the highs slightly back on the soundstage.

Comparisons made are against the JPS Superconductor+.

Well, the Truthlinks did great in the mids and lows. Bass is fantastic, extended... I am definately hearing more in this region than with the JPSs.

The midrange is slightly more forward and full on the Truthlinks, but the tone is similar to the JPSs.

On to the highs (specifically how cymbals are portrayed), and this is where the problems arise. The JPS cables to me tend to have, with certain cds, treble that is more forward than the rest of the spectrum. I have read that the Truthlinks are more laid-back. Well in my setup they are more than laid-back. The Truthlinks have little air, have short duration (cymbal crashes die in half the time vs. the JPSs), are pushed too far back on the soundstage, and sound hissy.

On recordings that have distant treble, you can hardly hear this region on the Truthlinks. The biggest problem is that cymbals sound like someone just put some fish on the fryer.... HISSSSS. Although the JPSs may have somewhat forward highs they have great air, duration, and tonal accuracy.

Also the JPSs seems to be a blacker, quieter cable than the Truthlinks.

I was amazed in how different these cables sounded. This was my first A/B cable comparison and untill now have underestimated the effects cables have on a system.

Well, I will keep the Superconductors, but the bass from the Truthlinks is going to be missed.

Feb 2, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 4
I agree that cables can be quite important. I like the truthlinks quite a bit in my system. The treble is quite nice and balanced when I listen through my McCormack MID on my Alessandro phones. Listening through my Wharfedales and ASL waves I do get the impression that the treble is more "recessed". I am currently in search of a pair of ProSilway II's or Silver Laces to replace the truthlinks between the MID and the Waves. Never underestimate the importance of synergy among components, including cables, it explains a lot of the differences among individual perception. As always IMHO.

Feb 4, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 4
I just got the Truthlinks and the rest of the Harmonic Technology line a few weeks ago.I auditioned them before I sold the first few pairs and spoke with the engineer about the recommended use for this cable.His recommendation and my audition reveal the same things.These cables are best suited to soothe an overly "bright" system.I have found that they work very well with an all solid state system,solid state integrateds in particular.I used them recently with a Arcam Diva integrated amp driving a set of PSB Stratus Minis,sourced by a Roskan Caspian CDP.This system could not have been more poorly matched,but the fact is I just sold that exact set-up to someone and it had very harsh treble sonics.I figured different component matching would really be the answer here but this guy was intent on using components he had read good reviews for,synergy be damned.When I suggested a cable change might help, he agreed and we went with the Truthlinks in 1meter and they did indeed smooth out the harsh treble and now this system sounds very good,although it could still benefit from better component matching.I really don't think the truthlinks will work very well in an all tube system or as the connect between a tube amp and a preamp.You are correct in your opinion of their sonic characteristics.They should indeed be marketed differently.This is an excellent example of how important cables,Interconnects and speaker,are to overall system performance and integration.

Feb 4, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, I agree that these should be used with solid state.

Right now I have the Truthlinks between an Acurus pre and a Sony ES amp which power Paradigm Ref. 60s. They sound much better here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back