[solved] $24 budget, need some headphones.
Apr 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

A 15 € pair of second-hand Yamaha planars trounce the KSC75. Better bass, better timbre, better detail, just all around more refined. Even my girlfriend agrees. I won't say anything about the treble or soundstage, though.

I also compared the KSC75 to a 25 € vintage AKG and found them to do no better there. The AKGs came out more refined.

Not to say the KSC75 are bad.

I'm really interested in these cheap Yamaha planars that you regularly recommend, but I can't seem to find any less than £1-200.  I must be looking in the wrong places!

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:
I have to strongly disagree.  I bought the S400s after reading all the hype and was very disappointed with them.  I've tried all the mods and spent twice as much on pads to get this so called amazing sound out of them, but it just hasn't happened for me.  They don't get any ear time now, except for quiet listening in bed, not to wake the girlfriend up.  The JVCs are so coloured, closed in, boomy and lacking in top end clarity, whereas the KSC75s sound exciting immediately, spacious, open, detailed, balanced across the spectrum and eminently listenable with anything.  I even prefer the KSC75s to my HD598s for a number of things.  I wouldn't ever recommend those JVCs to anyone.  It's funny how people's opinions differ, isn't it?  I know they get some love on here, but views are mixed.  As you say, the KSC75s are iconic and they're iconic for a reason.

I had the KSC75's for awhile.... recabled and kramer modded; I never had the HA-S400's stock.  As soon I got them I modded them with some silverstone foam and dynamat.  Burned in for 4-5 days straight (I don't believe in burn-in all to much but if their is some truth to it, ill try it) with the AKG pads.  And were quite pleased with them; still am.  Might just pick up a pair of ksc75's just for fun and compare them with some A/B critical listening.  I didn't think the S-400's were all that boomy but then again I use real acoustic foam rather than household items laying around the house.  Slight mid bass hump but nothing bloated.  

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #18 of 49
KSC75 obliterate just about everything in their path under $30.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 49
Apr 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:
KSC75 obliterate just about everything in their path under $30.

I think you'd have to spend a fair bit more to better them in sound quality.  Build quality you might get better though!

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #22 of 49
ksc75 is also decent choice. Only problem is its comfort because it is clip on.

And there is another headphone no one has talked: Sennheiser HD201 It is very good with a bit neutral sound, and with price going down as low as 15 bucks, it is worth to consider as well.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #24 of 49
I think you've already got a list from your feedback up to now, no?

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:
I think you've already got a list from your feedback up to now, no?

Well yeah after reading through it, which it's spotted, I still see the same recommendations as earlier: JVC foldables, or Monoprice 8283..

newedit:  Or KSC75

new new edit: I don't think I'd like those: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

edit again: http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/171qmf/keep_sennheiser_hd201_or_upgrade/

conclusion: So it's still against the Monoprice and JVC at this point for me..
edit to that even: or the 3rd option of Panasonic RP-HTF600-S ?

Should I just pick one of the 3 ?

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #26 of 49
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #27 of 49
Apr 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #29 of 49
I bought a new pair of Takstar Hd2000 for 25 or 28 dollars here in Argentina. I don't know if you could find them where you live. They have 50mm drivers that sound surprisingly clean and detailed for their price.
They are lightweight and quite confortable despite its pads could be a lot better especially in terms of isolation. Bass extension could also be better.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

The word thanks shall hopefully be uttered in this thread in the future, preferably more than once.

Thanks vid, I was beginning to think I was just being a little over sensitive when I thought the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back