Solder Smoke, Unhealthy?
Aug 19, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 33
Yeah, I think I'll cut down on Camel, non-filters. :wink:

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use one of these irons:
http://sra-solder.com/images/aoyue968.jpg

The litle tube about the soldering iron sucks all the fumes away through a filter, right from the source. The inside of that tube looks like the inside of one of my dad's tobacco pipes.

That is a nice setup Brian. That station looks like it set you back $900 or so. I could never justify the cost though and my wife would divorce me!
tongue.gif

~Zip

Edit: Wow, I am impressed. only $149.00 on Amazon. I may have to consider this...

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #19 of 33
I have a fan behind me so that all fumes are sent away immediately. It works like a charm. I also tend to hold my breath while soldering anyway.

Too bad there's nothing better than the smell of lead solder in the morning...
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh jeez. That looks nasty. What the hell is it?
eek.gif

That my friend is lung cancer from too many years of smoking. Luckily those are not mine, nor anyone else I know. Makes me glad I quit.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 33
Yes, anything to do with heavy metals is bad for you. I work alongside some environmental chemists and the (United States) EPA limits for lead in the environment is on the order of parts per billion. I haven't hooked some sort of spectrometer up to solder fumes, but I would guess that the concentration of Pb is way over the EPA limits in there.

Fan(s), good ventilation, and a good lighted magnifier so you can observe from farther away and have something between you and the solder point are all good ideas. The built-in exhaust mentioned earlier also interests me - I didn't know that kind of thing existed. Take some basic precautions and you'll be fine.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #24 of 33
Yeah, a NIOSH mask would be great too - although the setup would start to really look like you were about to do 'surgery' on a PCB
smily_headphones1.gif
. That and not everybody has access to them...

I think with standard (only slightly anal) precautions there wouldn't be any problems, but the more the better.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTrumpet999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, a NIOSH mask would be great too - although the setup would start to really look like you were about to do 'surgery' on a PCB
smily_headphones1.gif
. That and not everybody has access to them...

I think with standard (only slightly anal) precautions there wouldn't be any problems, but the more the better.

You would look pretty pro. I do actually have the "aquamarine" colored medical/surgery NIOSH masks too.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Yes, anything to do with heavy metals is bad for you. I work alongside some environmental chemists and the (United States) EPA limits for lead in the environment is on the order of parts per billion. I haven't hooked some sort of spectrometer up to solder fumes, but I would guess that the concentration of Pb is way over the EPA limits in there.

I would beg to differ on that... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...57#post3023557

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #28 of 33
That funny look was his brain not being able to process what you said anymore.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

The Health Physicists I've talked to while working at a US research lab stated that they have never been able to record an over-exposure due to electronics soldering. This is using little pumps that suck air in over the course of a worker's day and sample the air for lead. I"m not suggesting you breath the fumes, but any light-headedness are less likely due to lead than other additives in the solder (rosin etc.) That said it is definitely good to wash your hands and arms. Getting lead and heavy metals by ingestion and sweaty skin is much more of a hazard, I'm told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back