Solder Smoke, Unhealthy?
Aug 18, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 33
I only solder in a well ventilated area.

Maybe you could install a fume hood or maybe something as simple as a fan to blow the smoke/fumes away from you?

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 33
I solder near a fan that sucks away the fumes but really if you don't keep your head over and sniff it you wont be in to much trouble, Over the long term, like people who solder everyday are the people that need to worry about the cancer.

Remember kids huffing is bad, especially solder fumes.

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 33
No wonder I felt so lightheaded after today. it didn't smell right and I shouldn't have been so oblivious.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 33
I avoid the smoke and don't deliberately inhale or anything, but wow, that Welborne Labs solder smells *amazing.* You may think I'm kidding, but in its own way it's one of the more pleasant scents out there.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I avoid the smoke and don't deliberately inhale or anything, but wow, that Welborne Labs solder smells *amazing.* You may think I'm kidding, but in its own way it's one of the more pleasant scents out there.

Well, dont get addicted...it causes cancer you know, lol.

Does he have a scented rosin in his solder?

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I want to know, my nose kind of hurts and I just spent the past 3 hours soldering the Millett Max.

I posted my method for soldering, some time back. Inhale before you apply soldering iron and solder to the solder joint. Then lightly blow on the soldering iron tip and solder joint as you apply solder. Once the solder melts pull the iron and solder away while continuing to blow. This cuts lung smoke by 99%, nose smoke by about 90%, and eye smoke by about 80%. When you have finished your soldering session, wash your hands and forearms with soap and warm water. Next, take a wash cloth and wash your face and eyes with warm water. Don't forget to use the wash cloth to clean your nostrils out. If you get burning nostrils often, then put a light coating of vaseline into your nostrils, which you will wash out after the soldering session. Lead bearing solder is a hazard, of course. Even lead-free solder containing rosin creates smoke. When soldering, most of the smoke is burning rosin. The rosin smoke will be a health hazard to a lesser extent. This smoke will however, help to carry metal particulate into the air and that is the problem. If you stick your face into the smoke often, without precautions, that is a definite cancer risk. Just play it safe, keep soldering, and have a long healthy soldering career.
blink.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 33
Solder fumes are no good. Especially so if you are using older lead-based solder. The new stuff has to be lead free these days. However, these fumes should be avoided as well. If you are using a flux cleaner, take it outside for sure. Most cleaners of this type will melt a styrofoam cup in seconds. This obviously cannot be good for your lungs or brain!
tongue.gif

When I do soldering at my job, I have a special vent fan with a carbon filter to suck away the fumes. While at home I just hold my breath and solder from a angle rather than looking straight down. This method works well and I don't have to worry about inhalation.

~Zip

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

ziplock:
This method works well and I don't have to worry about inhalation.

What was that dark spot on your lung X-Ray?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back