SOHA II Builders Thread
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #481 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrossebowe8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What B+ are most people using?

I've gone back and forth between ~60 and 90V. There was an impression from the Designer that the original B+ offered someting special in the character of sound - but as soon as the new HVPS was designed, I (and I think about everybody else on the proto team!) dialed it to '11.'
wink_face.gif

I did not notice a lot of difference between plate voltages with the new PS, I've been at ~90V...

-Bill

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #482 of 1,694
I got my board from Jeff, transformer from Avil, and a nice big box from Mouser. I thought I might get my tubes today, but it looks like they will come on Monday.

So I have enough parts to start building the amp, but I have to leave town tomorrow morning
frown.gif

oh well, I guess I get to build it next weekend.

/e wanders off humming "Waiting is the Hardest Part".

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #483 of 1,694
For those who would like to mount LED’s under the tubes of your SOHA II, but hate the cumbersome wires running under the PCB, this can be interesting. The pic below showing how it was implemented on my build.

Afbeelding597.jpg

Have fun with your build!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #485 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who would like to mount LED’s under the tubes of your SOHA II, but hate the cumbersome wires running under the PCB, this can be interesting. The pic below showing how it was implemented on my build.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...eelding597.jpg

smily_headphones1.gif

How come you wired them different? I see the one on the right is tied into the heater circuit, but I can't see where the one on the left is grounded to.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #486 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcaudon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice Ferrari!!!!

So, with this implementation you won't be catching any hum from the leds as some people has mentioned?

I have never experienced hum/noise caused by LED's on my amps.
I prefer doing it this way mainly to keep things as clean as possible (one of my personal rules).
biggrin.gif

My guess is that the hum some people have, is due to using (too long) unshielded wires for sensitive signals paths, which invites interferences. Also wires carrying DC voltage (-12.6V) running under the PCB, too close to the sensitive traces can be a source of problem.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #487 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come you wired them different? I see the one on the right is tied into the heater circuit, but I can't see where the one on the left is grounded to.

Both LED’s are connected the same way: feeding by the same -12.6V heater voltage circuit via a 1KΩ resistor, while the anode connected to the same ground.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #490 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet, looks like you'll be busy
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep if I can find the time or should I say if the missus doesn't find something else for me to do!!

Any more news on your build?? is it cased up yet?

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #491 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by onform /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I need is the trofo now...

... and a nice enclosure.
biggrin.gif

Are you going to use the stock Hammond or do you have something else in mind?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #492 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also wires carrying DC voltage (-12.6V) running under the PCB, too close to the sensitive traces can be a source of problem.

Yep, that was my problem. Wires running under the PCB with 1/8" spacers. My LEDs were always meant to be temporary, as my amp is fully enclosed (tubes and all) so LEDs made no sense as well.

You've got a good wiring scheme there.

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #493 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by onform /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep if I can find the time or should I say if the missus doesn't find something else for me to do!!

Any more news on your build?? is it cased up yet?

My build has been running for a few weeks but is not yet cased up. I'm still keen on the HIFI2000 case but I've been putting off buying because of the euro exchange rate. It would seem that there's no short term prospect of that improving, so I'd better get my order in before it gets any worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back