SOHA II Builders Thread
Nov 16, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #151 of 1,694
I just finished the mods to allow the use of 12v 300ma heater tubes. Replaced transformer, moved the heater regulator off board and mounted it directly on the case. and jumpered out R3P.
Amp sounds great, I really like the 12BH7A tubes I am using now. Much better than the Sylvania 5963's.
I wish I had built the beefier power supply first time around, would have saved me about $50.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #153 of 1,694
Yes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #154 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished the mods to allow the use of 12v 300ma heater tubes. Replaced transformer, moved the heater regulator off board and mounted it directly on the case. and jumpered out R3P.
Amp sounds great, I really like the 12BH7A tubes I am using now. Much better than the Sylvania 5963's.
I wish I had built the beefier power supply first time around, would have saved me about $50.

Glad you got that working ok grendel. You can roll almost anything now as long as the pinouts are correct.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #155 of 1,694
Hi,

I experimented some more with the amp, and decided to put the zeners back in. I still can't hear any increase in noise with them, and I seem to hear a slight improvement (though I may be just imagining it).

Other than that, I noticed that one pair of my RCA 5963 tubes is insanely microphonic—the other pair is only slightly so, and works much better. I've also tried Electro-Harmonix 12AU7's and Channel Master 12AU7A's, both of which I like. Surprisingly the cheap Channel Masters may even be slightly better… As I'm also testing the SOHA II as a pre-amp, the least noisy Channel Masters are now my tubes of choice for that use. I may prefer the 5963's for headphones.

I don't have any other tubes at the moment, but eventually I will test more types. I even built my power supply to be ready for the high current heaters (using heatsinks much larger than those specified, 1.6 A transformer and installed a switch to bypass R3P)… Any suggestions for tubes to try? =)

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #156 of 1,694
Arkku;4998811 Other than that said:
I have the same issue with 5963s - I also have two sets, one of which is definitely 'insanely microphonic' (however the microphonics reduced with burn in, but not significantly.) I have another set, nicer, matched closely and not bought of flEabay that are much better.

I have switched back to Amperex 8416 for the month, and am quite enjoying them...

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #157 of 1,694
I have tried a pair of RCA 5963 (black plate) a while back too. These are indeed very microphonic.
Now I’m using a pair of GE 5963 (grey plate) in my GF’s amp and these are very good, much less (or non) microphonic.

Arkku, when you have your power supply modified to support high current heaters, you might try 6N1P-EB (black plate, double getter supporters). This is a very good sounding tube at a fraction of the cost.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #158 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arkku, when you have your power supply modified to support high current heaters, you might try 6N1P-EB (black plate, double getter supporters). This is a very good sounding tube at a fraction of the cost.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the tip, I'll be on the lookout for those. My power supply already supports the high current heaters, it's just a matter of flicking a switch to get R3P out of the way. (I installed it just to keep the regulator from running unnecessarily hot with the tubes I currently have. =)

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #159 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip, I'll be on the lookout for those. My power supply already supports the high current heaters, it's just a matter of flicking a switch to get R3P out of the way. (I installed it just to keep the regulator from running unnecessarily hot with the tubes I currently have. =)

In one or other way, I have missed your post some page back.
It seems to be that you are the first person around here who has built the whole amp on perfboard.
You must have lots of patience. Enjoy the results!
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #160 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to be that you are the first person around here who has built the whole amp on perfboard.
You must have lots of patience.

Mostly I chose perfboard because I don't build things like this at all that often (indeed, this is my first DIY amp) and I wanted to put in some of my own additions while at it. I also feel a bit like an assembly worker when using pre-made PCBs… =)

P. S. I posted a shot of the cased amp in the build-pics thread. Now it's suitably finished to remain on the desk while I ponder what to do about the front panel text.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #161 of 1,694
Dude. that is seriously in a different league... quite impressive.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #164 of 1,694
Yes, the boards and kits will be available from Glass Jar. Please contact Jeff Rossel.

Jeff is currently pulling things together to offer the kits. I believe they will be available towards the end of the month.

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #165 of 1,694
Just in case anyone was wondering what was happening with my build...

Finally got the extra parts I needed and finished installing everything tonight (apart from the tube sockets - still haven't made a decision about that). Decided it was too late to do any testing so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back