So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 11, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #1,021 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information.Are there any pictures of their recable jobs?

This is the thread on the HFI780. If you want pictures I would suggest you ask them yourself. I'll be sure to post pictures of my recable job when I get it.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #1,022 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I see. I'm sure SOMEBODY would pay through money order. You just have to put up a FS ad. I'm pretty sure if your price is right, they'll be out of your hands, and into somebody else's who can enjoy them.

Yeah, I thought about that but until I get around to it I guess I'll just stare at $200 of regret. This dislike of paypal has also kept me from getting rid of a Zune I loathe and has been sitting in it's box for months.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #1,023 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torzwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I thought about that but until I get around to it I guess I'll just stare at $200 of regret. This dislike of paypal has also kept me from getting rid of a Zune I loathe and has been sitting in it's box for months.

Seems like you are a frequent target of buyer's remorse
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #1,024 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torzwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are so damned uneven sounding it's maddening trying to make a decision...one track sounds good and another sounds like garbage.

+2. If this continue I'll just think that the 780 itself is *garbage* and the edition 9 a rip-off (if it sounds the same).

The 780 is fun sometimes with rock but so "un-natural".

Like someone said earlier, I have now a sub-woofer in my ears .......with tons of sibilance
frown.gif

Theses headphones....a joke ?
Come on. Who are ultrasone guys by the way ?

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #1,025 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+2. If this continue I'll just think that the 780 itself is *garbage* and the edition 9 a rip-off (if it sounds the same).

The 780 is fun sometimes with rock but so "un-natural".

Like someone said earlier, I have now a sub-woofer in my ears .......with tons of sibilance
frown.gif

Theses headphones....a joke ?
Come on. Who are ultrasone guys by the way ?

Hmm...helios4 you must understand that everybody likes different things. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the headphones are a joke. In fact, I could probably say that I think a pair of your headphones are a joke. I love the 780's, and though I don't take any offense to what you are saying, I do find it uncomfortable that you are making such blanketed statements as that.

Quote:

ok. I wanted to play this game too. Just received today. Out of the box, the headphones look is superb.

Concering the sound, I have a lot of doubts. First, the high are grainy, the bass is shy and the sound stage is caverneous and...and...the sibilance...(it hurts)

I'm extremly disappointed that out of the box it sounds like that.

Compared to my hd-650 it is night and day. my 650 has even more bass.

I'll try the pink noise brake-in too. Hope things will be better.

(tested on a Denon pmr1500 and MF x-can v3)

To be continued

I thought you said these were bass shy, and now you say they are like having sub-woofers on your head? Which one is it? I can confirm these burn in very weirdly, but it doesn't go from bass shy to subwoofer. And I myself hear no sibilance, so that just goes to show how different our ears are.

Anyways, I have sent off my headphones to get recabled. I can't wait already.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #1,026 of 2,328
no problem. just my *humble* opinion souperman.
for the moment, I don't love them at all
smily_headphones1.gif

but I don't think it is blanketed statements.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #1,027 of 2,328
Quote:

no problem. just my opinion souperman.
for the moment, I don't love them at all
smily_headphones1.gif

but I don't think it is blanketed statements.

It is quite the blanketed statement for you to just call them garbage and a joke. I could just as easily say that the HD650's are garbage and a joke because it is too laidback and bassy, but I won't go there
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #1,028 of 2,328
hey you can about HD650 bass
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't care
icon10.gif
HD650 has too much bass compared to HD600. everybody knows it even sennheiser
wink.gif

And you forgot the...the....ve...vei....veil?

yes, when I first connected the 780 there was no bass then after 2 hours there's too much bass. It looks weird but it is real. As I said earlier, I never heard something like this.
Quality Control?

but again it is not blanketed statements..just an experience...like everyone. I understand and accept that some LOVE them....I just begin to hate them
smily_headphones1.gif
. My wallet is angry.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #1,029 of 2,328
For what's it worth, had them a week, running them through a Gilmore Lite. Nice bass, no sibilance, quite comfortable. No, they are no match for my D5000s, but at half the price, and their portability, I am very pleased. I never heard sibilance, and I am quite sensitive to that...Oh, and I much prefer them to my (stock) HD 650s.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #1,030 of 2,328
Quote:

hey you can about HD650 bass
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't care
icon10.gif
HD650 has too much bass compared to HD600. everybody knows it even sennheiser
wink.gif

And you forgot the.......veil?

yes, when I first connected the 780 there was no bass then after 2 hours there's too much bass. It looks weird but it is real. As I said earlier, I never heard something like this.
Quality Control?

Hehe...touche. Anyway, not QC, but burn-in probably. If you don't like them then sell it. No need to complain right.
tongue.gif

I'm glad you are liking them pete. These are doing a lot of things right and not a lot wrong for a closed pair of headphones at this price point.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #1,031 of 2,328

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #1,032 of 2,328
Quote:

Quality Control?

but again it is not blanketed statements..just an experience...like everyone. I understand and accept that some LOVE them....I just begin to hate them
smily_headphones1.gif
. My wallet is angry.

Helios4, don't you think you are jumping the gun in making your conclusion after only two hours with the phone? If you have the stock cable, seems like it is concensus that it will need at least a hundred hours or more to allow the phone to stabilize. I don't mind you make statement like that based on your actual experience, but to do it in couple of hours is unfair to the phone.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #1,033 of 2,328
no problem but....
confused.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #1,034 of 2,328
For you guys that are experiencing un-evenness is this with the same tracks or are you hearing this from different tracks that have been listening to before with pleasure? I know the HFI-780 is brutal for some tracks it is so revealing. Could this be some of it? I didn't have that much change going on with mind. But with bad recordings it really shows them off.

Just wondering if there may be something else going on?

I thought the HFI-780 stabilized at about 200-250 hours to a stable level but I carefully control what music I listen to to well recorded music. My UE9 took near 500 hours to get there.

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #1,035 of 2,328
Today it has been a week since I received a pair of used (2 weeks by its original owner) HFI-780. I have had them on continuous burn in for the entire 168 hours and they have been all over the place. Now they are fantastic, very nice sounding.

The original owner indicated that he had put about 200 hours of burn in. But since this cans are changing so much from one day to another I will continue burning them in. It is kind of exciting hearing the evolution of the HFI-780, in a way they are behaving like the PROline 2500 which IMO required massive amounts of burn in.

I will try to post again when another 100 hours of burn in have gone buy, sometime late Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back