So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 14, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #1,201 of 2,328
Ok, i will send you a MP soon with details
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes, this headphone is a fantastic creation. hope what it were a little bit cheaper (because some build quality issues as the original cable and some materials...) but is good anyway.
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to derail this thread so I will keep my answer short: Yes, I have modded DT990s - one 250 ohm and two 600 ohm models. If interested in more, send me a PM.

Until Kevin contacted me, I didn't realize there was such a lovefest for the HFI-780s!
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #1,202 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to have Scott recable mine and remove the Diode board. I respect Scott's work highly. I also respect Ken at ALO's work highly, but I didn't care for the look of the ALO recable on the 780's. The S2 Audio recable looks perfect to me, and hopefully will reduce or eliminate my issues with this can, and at a price that makes the resale issue no big deal. Very excited!

Isn't ALO converted to dual entry, I believe Alex does this too?
From this post it sounds like in headband wiring going to the right driver is pretty bad. Isn't leaving it in place defeats the purpose of recabling, or it gets replaced too?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3846959-post351.html

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #1,203 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to have Scott recable mine and remove the Diode board. I respect Scott's work highly. I also respect Ken at ALO's work highly, but I didn't care for the look of the ALO recable on the 780's. The S2 Audio recable looks perfect to me, and hopefully will reduce or eliminate my issues with this can, and at a price that makes the resale issue no big deal. Very excited!

Do it Skylab! You know you want to. The resale issue will definitely not be a big deal especially with how OEM it still looks.

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #1,204 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't ALO converted to dual entry, I believe Alex does this too?
From this post it sounds like in headband wiring going to the right driver is pretty bad. Isn't leaving it in place defeats the purpose of recabling, or it gets replaced too?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3846959-post351.html

I'm not sure, you'll have to ask Scott on that one. Regardless, replacing the outside cable is still worth it IMO since it is so flimsy and ridiculous.

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #1,205 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do it Skylab! You know you want to. The resale issue will definitely not be a big deal especially with how OEM it still looks.

Being that most ALO, etc..modded items are sold on this board, I don't see any reason why the "look" of an ALO modded phone should have a negative affect on resale value compared to most items stock. Most people aren't trying to use the item as a fashion statement and if it sounds incredible, I think that would weigh heavier on the resale value (??)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #1,206 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it has a very nice look (just as i like it) and is only in one side as the stock, which is perfect (i don't like double side cables). And the best of all, is that it has a more reasonable ('worth the money') price and the quality seems excellent too.

thanks

Just because it's "cheaper" doesn't mean it's worth the price. Not saying anything against Scott's work. Maybe you should do a comparison first before decided which is 'worth the money'...
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #1,207 of 2,328
I might do a comparison, as if I really want to upgrade, it's not such a big deal having the mogami taken off and replaced. If I ever decide to do that. I got to think about it a bit heehehe.

But i can only compare to vampire cable which is what i got.

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #1,208 of 2,328
I have hesitated to post here because I admit to not following this thread, and what little I've caught today while skimming through is that folks like them, and that's a good thing. On the other hand, I got a chance to listen to marroyo's pair last weekend, and my impressions weren't as favorable. So, here's an alternate view. Take it as you will. We all hear differently.

I owed the Proline 2500, which I liked, but had difficulty with the treble and overall tone (a bit metallic) in both the mids and highs. I've heard the Edition 9s, both balanced and single-ended, and though they aren't for me, I enjoyed them, especially balanced. After listening to the HFI-780s I'm really confused on comparisons to the Edition 9. The Ed 9's are liquid smooth but detailed. I found the 780s grainy and downright shrill in the treble with that same metallic tinge in the mids and highs that the 2500s had, but moreso. The bass was nowhere close in quality to either the 2500s or Edition 9, which at least sound like audiophile headphones, even if their presentation ended up not being for me. With the 780s, the texture, tones, imaging and balance seemed all off and did not present as lifelike, or even pleasantly colored. I really disliked this headphone.

There were three of us at the mini meet, and I was not alone in my impressions using both an imod and cdp with a K2HD cd and a couple different amps, which I liked fine with all other headphones present. To be fair, marroyo said that they were not fully burned in, but after my experience with the 2500s, which did change slightly and favorably over time, I can't imagine any difference that would bring them to close to listenable, or even close to the 2500s in presentation of music. Hopefully, the mods and recables that people are mentioning can make a difference. I hoping to hear them and like them at CanJam. Until then.......blech.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #1,209 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have hesitated to post here because I admit to not following this thread, and what little I've caught today while skimming through is that folks like them, and that's a good thing. On the other hand, I got a chance to listen to marroyo's pair last weekend, and my impressions weren't as favorable. So, here's an alternate view. Take it as you will. We all hear differently.

I owed the Proline 2500, which I liked, but had difficulty with the treble and overall tone (a bit metallic) in both the mids and highs. I've heard the Edition 9s, both balanced and single-ended, and though they aren't for me, I enjoyed them, especially balanced. After listening to the HFI-780s I'm really confused on comparisons to the Edition 9. The Ed 9's are liquid smooth but detailed. I found the 780s grainy and downright shrill in the treble with that same metallic tinge in the mids and highs that the 2500s had, but moreso. The bass was nowhere close in quality to either the 2500s or Edition 9, which at least sound like audiophile headphones, even if their presentation ended up not being for me. With the 780s, the texture, tones, imaging and balance seemed all off and did not present as lifelike, or even pleasantly colored. I really disliked this headphone.

There were three of us at the mini meet, and I was not alone in my impressions using both an imod and cdp with a K2HD cd and a couple different amps, which I liked fine with all other headphones present. To be fair, marroyo said that they were not fully burned in, but after my experience with the 2500s, which did change slightly and favorably over time, I can't imagine any difference that would bring them to close to listenable, or even close to the 2500s in presentation of music. Hopefully, the mods and recables that people are mentioning can make a difference. I hoping to hear them and like them at CanJam. Until then.......blech.

Yeah it seems like the 780 is either a love it or hate it type of thing. Everyone just has to know that if you don't audition these, there's a chance that you won't enjoy the sound. The 780's are very colored and tailored towards some people's listening habits. That is why I love them and actually got them cheaply recabled. They beat out any other headphone that I have listened to in terms of everything I was looking for in my headphones. Mind you, the 780's are probably the LAST headphone I would ever use for critical use with classical music, or jazz music, but boy do they rock rock music.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #1,210 of 2,328
Quote:

I understand you here. They can be all over the place. I used a type of acoustical stuffing you know, the kind they pack with pills, that is what is is, right? :^) Anyway this really helped. The grain is gone and the mids are better but I am still waiting for them to settle to see where they end up. At least they don't cost 7 or 8 hundred, which would be a real pain although with the way the dollar is going give them time.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #1,211 of 2,328
Quote:

Hi Vicky, I found the solution to the shrillness in the PROline 2500! Actually Fitz found it and I copied it, very simple take a piece of felt material and cut a circle slightly smaller than the ear pad. Place the felt over the metal cover and then screw the ear pad back in. If that is not enough using a piece of scotch tape cover the small holes in front of the driver in the PROline 2500. Amazing difference! If you no longer have the PROline 2500 do not worry, you will get to listen to mine.

As far as the HFI-780 they are still changing, now at over 250 hours they are a lot warmer and not as shrill. I do believe the HFI-780 will be one of those over 500 hours type of cans.
eek.gif

Anyways the change is for the better.
biggrin.gif
BTW, what do you think of the O1 Amp/Dac?

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #1,212 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Vicky, I found the solution to the shrillness in the PROline 2500! Actually Fitz found it and I copied it, very simple take a piece of felt material and cut a circle slightly smaller than the ear pad. Place the felt over the metal cover and then screw the ear pad back in. If that is not enough using a piece of scotch tape cover the small holes in front of the driver in the PROline 2500. Amazing difference! If you no longer have the PROline 2500 do not worry, you will get to listen to mine.

As far as the HFI-780 they are still changing, now at over 250 hours they are a lot warmer and not as shrill. I do believe the HFI-780 will be one of those over 500 hours type of cans.
eek.gif

Anyways the change is for the better.
biggrin.gif
BTW, what do you think of the O1 Amp/Dac?

Hi Miguel,

I think your table is next to mine at CanJam so I'll definitely have time to check things out. I'm liking the 01, but have been working too many hours to seriously give it a listen. Tomorrow will be my first chance to spend any real time with it and to check out the dac section as well. I wish I had my 650s at home as I quite like it with the 600s, but I guess that will have to wait for CanJam as well. I can get it back to you any time next week so will send you a pm.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #1,213 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand you here. They can be all over the place. I used a type of acoustical stuffing you know, the kind they pack with pills, that is what is is, right? :^) Anyway this really helped..

Maybe I should just take the pills.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #1,215 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait till you hear the MiniBox-E+ w/ AD797's instead of AD8610's.
cool.gif

I don't know. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I really liked the 8610, but then I realy like the 8620 in the PRII.

/thread jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back