So what exactly is the point of BA IEMs with more than 2-3 drivers?
Sep 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #46 of 113

Yes, okay... so an etymotic inserted deeply into our ear canal is in 2 channel, and it's bypassing our outer-ear sound-field navigators, ok.

This is just an example, but how do you explain this imaging and localisation with a deeply inserted IEM then? =p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fligG_SLnOc

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #47 of 113

Quote:

Yes, okay... so an etymotic inserted deeply into our ear canal is in 2 channel, and it's bypassing our outer-ear sound-field navigators, ok.

This is just an example, but how do you explain this imaging and localisation then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fligG_SLnOc

That was my point. Surround sound is possible with only one speaker per ear.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #51 of 113

Wait... is your point that our 3D localisation is most accurate using 2 sensors? i.e. two ears, two eyes...?

If that's your point, okay... we're not an octopus... but now I'm lost here... if an octopus was using a 5 driver custom IEM, what difference would it make?

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #55 of 113
Quote:
We only have 1 eardrum per ear. We don't need multiple speakers per ear. 
tongue_smile.gif

Lol, the same could be said for tongue, mouth and cookies.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #57 of 113

Quote:

The headphones with one speaker per ear provided a convincing surrounding sound that was near indistinguishable from my 7.1 surround speaker setup for my HDTV.

Then what makes your ES5's sound "really awesome" compared to your headphones?

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #59 of 113
I personally can't stand any head-/earphone listening w/o crossfeed ... except, of course, binaural. Crossfeed, can vary from brand to brand (I also use the DIY Modified Linkwitz variety) and is a bit tricky to implement. E.g., HeadRoom's version actually improves fidelity over non-crossfeed; Meier's passive variety, OTOH, detracts fidelity from orig. (non-x-feed) a bit, but is variable (unlike HeadRoom). Xin amps also have decent x-feed. Not sure of other manuf's versions. Rockbox software -- probably others, too -- come with "electronic" versions.
IMO, crossfeed makes much more of a sonic impact to overall head/earphone listening than the number of drivers. Yes, I realize I'm comparing apples to cauliflower -- and straying OT. Just saying ... there are far more important sonic topics worthy of further investigation, wrt headphone listening, than fretting about relative non-issues ... like # of drivers.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #60 of 113
Quote:
Bad analogy.

That was the point. To say we don't need multiple speakers per ear, because we only have one eardrum, is a shaky argument. First of all, the eardrum is only one part of the auditory system, so what about the hair cells, the actual sensory receptors? Do we need a lot of speakers per ear, because we have 10,000+ hair cells? Of course not, in fact the number of speakers has absolutely nothing to do with our anatomy, as our ears are perfectly capable of receiving sensory input from multiple sources and processing it as a whole.

As others have already stated, multiple drivers in IEMs are used for better coverage of the frequency range and/or to achieve a fuller sound signature, that's all. The result is what counts, and it's completely irrelevant for our eardrums whether it's produced by a single or multi driver phone. jm2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back