So....Sunn O)))...
Dec 19, 2005 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

proglife

500+ Head-Fier
Does it scare you?
basshead.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 14
Completely different experience. It's a lot more cerebral and less body shaking. It's not my headphones I'm worried about.

I think it's time to replace that little NAD integrated with a big ass solid state amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 14
I've a friend who recently saw Sunn O))) live. He said that with earplugs it was still louder than any show he could recall seeing without earplugs. The general idea is to induce physical illness. The new Sunn O))) album, Black One, is pretty OK, and the new Earth album, Hex, is excellent.

Jan 2, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMHBAT
I've a friend who recently saw Sunn O))) live. He said that with earplugs it was still louder than any show he could recall seeing without earplugs.

I'd have to agree. I saw them without earplugs, which was a very bad idea. Excellent show.

Quote:

The general idea is to induce physical illness.

There is definitely a feeling of "Wow, how am I going to take this for a whole show", but then you become a bit used to it and it becomes very....I don't know, psychedelic. Definitely the most stimulating experience this side of 5 dried grams of psilocybin mushrooms.

Quote:

The new Sunn O))) album, Black One, is pretty OK, and the new Earth album, Hex, is excellent.

I love Black One, but I agree....the Earth album is a masterpiece.

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 14
I was recommended Sunn O)))'s album Black 1 by a friend, and saw that it ranked pretty high on Pitchfork's best of 05 so I got it today. First listen through = What is this noise? Doesn't seem to resemble music at all, sounds more like a desent into hell
confused.gif
There is something oddly cool about it, but I don't find myself enjoying it much at all. Is this one of those albums that takes a long time to understand & appreciate? Also, What are they saying?

*edit* Whoops! Didn't see the other thread!

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Hahaha, my avatar is an album by them. The kind of music they play has been called, Doom, Drone, etc. It took me awhile to get into as well. When I first heard it I though it was stupid, but now... With my HD280 Pros, the bass extension they have, the heaviness just boooooomsssssss.

They actually got their sound from an originating band called Earth. You might like their earlier stuff, if you dig grungy type stuff (Kurt Cobain is feature on a few tracks of theirs).

Stuck to check out:

For sludge check out:

SLEEP (big name in this genre)
Boris (japanese)
Warhorse
Electric Wizard
Pelican (older stuff not so much sludge though)
Floor
Torche (ex Floor)
YOB
(That's all I can think of right off the bat that I really like)

For doom/drone:

Khanate
Corrupted
(I don't listen to too much doom so I'm not sure here)

Other sludge/rock/metal stuff (this stuff you will probabalylike more):

Isis
Neurosis
Mare
Old Man Gloom
Shora

(there's a lot more but that's all I can think of righ t now)

Sunn 0))) is not actually noise though, noise that's worth checking out is Wolf Eyes and Black Dice.

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 14
I saw Earth live a month or so ago, it was a pretty big event for about 50 people, which was kind of funny. They were good--only played stuff off the new album.

Then Khanate played. Holy crap was that loud.

EDIT: Two threads on Sunn 0))) on here? WEIRD.

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 14
Note: I've merged 2 threads on the same topic.

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
Simply "Sun".

The O))) is just so you remember it
smily_headphones1.gif

It is about the most confusing name in rock. Actually, O))) is the logo for the band's worshipped amp manufacturer, Sunn: http://www.sunnamps.com So bascially, Sunn O))) formed as a tribute to Earth and an advertisement for Sunn.

I can't listen to outright "doom-drone" (or is it "drone-doom"?) very often, but Black One is really a pretty fine piece of it. For straight ahead, menacing, pit-of-despair doom, Khanate rules.

BodiesOfLight has a useful list. Sleep, of course, are legends. Isis and Neurosis have both pulled off the "elite" thing quite well. All of Pelican's stuff is great, and if you like them don't miss Justin Broadrick's (ex-Godflesh) excellent new project, Jesu.

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Boris (japanese)

Boris rocks. The new album "Pink" is really hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back