So I bought a car today...
Mar 30, 2005 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Helter Skelter

500+ Head-Fier
My first, in fact. Finally, I can cast off the chains of public transit!

The vehicle? A 2002 Mazda Protege LX. Manual transmission, of course. Automatics are for the lazy.

Best pic I could do for now, it was starting to get dark.
http://www.topoftheslide.net/pics/a80/newwheels.jpg

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 29
Nicely done. Enjoy and watch out for the blind (the ones behind the wheels of other cars).
CPW

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 29
Wow, very impressive! This is your first car?

Geez, I've had 8 cars over the years, but never one that was only than 3 years old and looking that good. Congrats!

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 29
Yes, my first. And what a liberating feeling it is!

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 29
Nice photo. Enjoy! Good to know that there are some people around the states that drive manual.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
My first, in fact. Finally, I can cast off the chains of public transit!

The vehicle? A 2002 Mazda Protege LX. Manual transmission, of course. Automatics are for the lazy.

Best pic I could do for now, it was starting to get dark.
http://www.topoftheslide.net/pics/a80/newwheels.jpg

great now you can pick us up to go to meets ... instead of the otherway around
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

I'm usually the last guy that would want to drive an auto, but you have to admit they have their place. They can be wonderful to have in heavy traffic or when you just want to cruise. There are times it's not critical to have the control over my car that a 5-spd. gives me, and it's annoying sometimes when my girlfriend has her hand on mine and then I have to disrupt that to shift gears.
tongue.gif

Plus, I've heard that manual transmission gets old after a while. For me, tranny choice would probably depend on the type of vehicle. I've always driven manual transmissions and I'd never want an auto in a sports car, but I'd probably prefer an auto in something like an SUV or luxo car.

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 29
The jab at automatics was partially in jest. I don't really have anything against automatics or people who drive them (well, maybe a little, but I just think that people should at least know how to drive a manual and be at least somewhat comfortable doing so), but I think it's a lot more fun on the whole to drive a stick.

Automatics do have their place, I agree. If you drive in an area with a lot of hills and/or stop and go traffic, I wouldn't much blame you for preferring an automatic. Myself, though, I just feel too detached from the road with an auto. My personal preference, that's all. Heck, I put over 1200 miles on my sister's Saturn Vue Redline during the two and a half weeks I was visiting her recently. Talk about having a whole new appreciation for SUVs and automatics (well, that big Acura V6 under the hood helped a bit there...).

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

The jab at automatics was partially in jest. I don't really have anything against automatics or people who drive them (well, maybe a little, but I just think that people should at least know how to drive a manual and be at least somewhat comfortable doing so), but I think it's a lot more fun on the whole to drive a stick.

Agree about the fun part. Automatics take the fun out of driving for me, but some people think stick shifts are too much "work." I adore my manual though, and I think if a girl can drive a stick shift properly it's a turn on.
biggrin.gif

I really should date girls that can't drive manual trannies...that way they'll never want to drive my car, LOL!

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 29
I bought my first car last week too!

2005 VolksWagen Polo (02 model), 1.4L Manual Petrol, 5DR

Polo_Twist_sparkle.jpg

But in "Diamond Black"
600smile.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 29
Which is actually quite annoying, VW are set to release the new 05 model soon which looks 500% better..

car_portal_pic_18971.jpg

car_portal_pic_18972.jpg

Mar 30, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

My first, in fact. Finally, I can cast off the chains of public transit![/url]

Well, in the Seattle area you could hardly call public transportation chains, it's as good as it gets around here
wink.gif
. But congrats on the new car.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 29
Nice pic, really nice pic. But it would have been so much better with a little girl looking out that window, awaiting daddy's arrival.

You have a good eye.

But freedom comes at a price - car payments, insurance and gas costs. That and you won't have that ready excuse for being late for work - traffic. But if your commute was 2 hours each way and now is 20 minutes - then more freedom to you.

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 29
Car payments? Nah. Paid cash for the whole thing. Biggest check I've ever written to date. But yeah, insurance and gas are gonna be a pain.

And yes, while Seattle's public transit is the primary reason I didn't get a car sooner, it's quite nice not having to rely on it to get you eveerywhere you want to go. Especially when you like to go places at times of the night when the buses don't run.

More pics! A couple paint scratches on the rear end, but nothing to lose sleep over by any stretch.

http://www.topoftheslide.net/pics/a80/carback.jpg
http://www.topoftheslide.net/pics/a80/carconsole.jpg
http://www.topoftheslide.net/pics/a80/carfront.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back