Slowly worrying about a replacement for my good old AKG K340
Apr 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Headphoneus Supremus
No, I'm not about to ditch my K340 to the dustbin quite yet. However:

- With my 30-years birthday getting closer, some friends asked me if I'd welcome a new pair of headphones;
- I've got the feeling that the highest frequencies of my K340 aren't exactly what they once were. After 8 years of intensive use, I'm a bit affraid that the electret drivers could be on their way to heaven.

So, I'm considering what could be a decent replacement for the K340. I've ruled out getting a pair of used K340, the prices are getting too high to buy a few pairs in order to get one sounding right. I don't expect to get exactly the same sound, sadly.

The price range for the headphones is somewhere in between 150-250€. I've got a diy dac and a diy otl tube amp that I favourably compared to stuff around 1000€, so they won't be the limiting factor.

The most obvious contenders are the HD600 (240€ shipped) and the K701 (200€ shipped). In the past, I've had a pair of HD580 and a pair of K501. The reasons I got rid of those in favor of the K340 was a lack of life in the highs for the HD580 and a lack of body in the mids and bass for the K501 (airiness is great but it was a bit too much of it). Instinctively, I'd go now for the HD580/HD600, for the more organic feeling it provides. But I've not had the chance to hear the K701 on a good setup. Does it address the shortcomings of the k501 or is it just a better K501 ?

The music I listen to most is from the baroque era, especially vocals (opera and sacred music). Other than that, it's a bit of everything, with a lot of classic and indie rock.

Another point: the K340 is built like a tank. The HD600 is ok under that respect (but I've seen cracked headband or paint going away). The K701 feels quite flimsy in comparaison. Is it more solid than it looks ?

If you have outsiders to suggest ? The DT990pro (250ohms) and the DT880pro (250ohms) are in the price range. I've little experience with Beyer stuff however other than some underwhelming demo (but it was on underwhelming amps too). Grado SR225 could be in the price range too, but I've had some and I felt that, while great for modern stuff, it felt short for classical vocals.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 3
What's the output impedance of the tube amp? It possibly wont like the K701s and prefer the higher impedance of the HD-600s.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 3
It's a white cathode follower output inside a feedback loop. Something like 3ohms according to datasheet values, 4.5ohms according to sims and probably somewhere under 10ohms once you take tubes aging and the like into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back