Slimdevice transporter ARRIVED at last!!!
Sep 27, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
He says the analog out on his Transporter is very close to the analog out on his EMM LABS SE. I'll hear for myself in a few days, but it is certainly a good sign.

that's not even funny. if a $2K unit sounds almost as good as a EMM LABS, this actually qualifies as a bargain - plus, you know, wireless music network and stuff too.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
that's not even funny. if a $2K unit sounds almost as good as a EMM LABS, this actually qualifies as a bargain - plus, you know, wireless music network and stuff too.

Is it possible that getting a new toy hype may cloud your judgement and u start to judge better after settling a lil bit more?

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
Is it possible that getting a new toy hype may cloud your judgement and u start to judge better after settling a lil bit more?

this is why we are going to rely on sleestack to walk over there and pop that bubble if it's inflated, ASAP!

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
this is why we are going to rely on sleestack to walk over there and pop that bubble if it's inflated, ASAP!

Yeah, i really would like to see how the following three compare:

1) transporter analogue out
2) esoteric slaved to the transporter
3) transporter slaved to esoteric

I really hope that 3) will give us the best sound.

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 44
I'll defintely put everything through the paces and try to give an objective review.

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

He says the analog out on his Transporter is very close to the analog out on his EMM LABS SE. I'll hear for myself in a few days, but it is certainly a good sign.

I read through that thread as well and I've got to say, I'm very skeptical about that claim at this point.

Looking forward to your impressions, Sleestack.

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
I read through that thread as well and I've got to say, I'm very skeptical about that claim at this point.

Looking forward to your impressions, Sleestack.

I know I won't be getting rid of my DAC any time soon.

I am going to have one of my Transporters upgraded, which should also provide an interesting comparison.

Sep 27, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

I am going to have one of my Transporters upgraded, which should also provide an interesting comparison.

This should be most interesting. I'm not interested in any stock components at any price
tongue.gif
Who's going to upgrade it?

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #24 of 44
I would be way more interested in a product like this if it was designed to be nothing but a transport, no analog outputs. That way money could be saved by not jamming expensive DAC circuitry into what is essentially a computer in a classy case, and more money could be spent on solid digital outputs and features like clock sync.

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
I would be way more interested in a product like this if it was designed to be nothing but a transport, no analog outputs. That way money could be saved by not jamming expensive DAC circuitry into what is essentially a computer in a classy case, and more money could be spent on solid digital outputs and features like clock sync.

It already has clock sync, btw.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck

Money was already spent on clock sync and solid digital outputs. Taking out the other stuff would probably not end up saving money, when you realize that they'd be engineering a new product for the 10-15 people who'd prefer not to have a DAC...

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #27 of 44
I think the main functionality of the Transporter is a low jitter front end device to a computer based store of music, that acts as a digital source, with full controls that you have on a source, more than a DAC. It's ability to slave to a DAC's clock is pretty slick and should go the extra mile to reduce jitter (or the fear of jitter
wink.gif
)
It is a DAC too, and I expect it will be a pretty decent DAC.

Of course a squeezebox does that too, just not as well, for 1/6th the cost, so I expect both the "transporting" or "front-ending" part to be a major step up as much as the DAC is a step up from the Squeezebox.

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I would love to see a SB3 vs Transporter comparison using just the digital out to DAC.

I dont see much value unless one slave the transporter to the dac

If u are comparing modified power supply/ battery sb3 tt might be interesting

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I would love to see a SB3 vs Transporter comparison using just the digital out to DAC.

there's a HUGE difference w/ the digital out to a dac on a modded sb3 vs. stock sb3...so stock sb3 digital out vs transporter digital out, i hope that the transporter is way better. ..but i am curious of the transporter digital out vs. a modded sb3.

i'm using a bolder digital modded sb3 + the ultimate mkII power supply to a dac, and i couldn't believe the difference that the mods and power supply made. its the most improvement any component has given me. i'm curious to see how the transporter compares to my modded sb3 as as transport.....but i wouldn't be surprised if my modded sb3 digital out is better
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back