Sleek Audio CT20: First Impressions
May 30, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #286 of 303
Jude , please LOCK this thread NOW. 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #287 of 303
wow, i hadnt seen this thread before. it really is an indication of the mental faculties, attention deficit and laziness of some people today, They take a quick glance, pick one post on the last page to reply to, dont notice the deep deep sarcasm/irony and then decide to write an opinion about it, without thinking it through enough to realize

that......

This thread is a practical joke for April fools day and you just got punked!!!!

I suppose its also good commentary on the state of this hobby, that people do not question insanity. 20 drivers would require a custom bigger than the whole ear conch, cause massive nonlinearity due to the crossover required, represent a ridiculously low impedance so that hardly even any amps could drive them properly, let alone DAPs and probably sound stupid and anemic 

May 30, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #288 of 303
hey guys, where can i preorder the CT20's? I already scheduled a appointment with my local audiologist to see if I qualify

May 30, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #289 of 303
I here you have to have a rectal exam also perhaps you should book your appointment now

May 30, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #290 of 303
Quote:
Jude , please LOCK this thread NOW. 
biggrin.gif

And maybe put a big April Fools Day disclaimer at the beginning of the OP in size 72 or something...

Quote:
wow, i hadnt seen this thread before. it really is an indication of the mental faculties, attention deficit and laziness of some people today, They take a quick glance, pick one post on the last page to reply to, dont notice the deep deep sarcasm/irony and then decide to write an opinion about it, without thinking it through enough to realize

that......

I suppose its also good commentary on the state of this hobby, that people do not question insanity. 20 drivers would require a custom bigger than the whole ear conch, cause massive nonlinearity due to the crossover required, represent a ridiculously low impedance so that hardly even any amps could drive them properly, let alone DAPs and probably sound stupid and anemic 

I'd go with the second one.  I think its an example of Poe's Law more than anything else.

May 30, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #291 of 303

Quote:
I here you have to have a rectal exam also perhaps you should book your appointment now

btw, I'll need a upgrade to the cable, I'm hoping to get the frequency range into the 55,000khz range (minimum) would you have cables that would do so? I would gladly pay top $$$$$$$$ if you cryo treated them, you know, throw them into your fridge the day before shipping them off

May 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #292 of 303

Quote:

that......

20 drivers would not necessarily require a custom shell to be larger than the whole ear conch. Size issues for the most part can be taken care of by driver selection and impedance issues can be taken care of through creative wireing techniques, parallel and series combinations etc. 

So the real question is, "Is a 20 driver Custom IEM even possible?" 

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
May 30, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #293 of 303
no, sorry, there are no decent drivers small enough that 20 would not pose a serious problem, didnt you read the first post? require you to meet the criteria....

there also kinda has to be some cavity for air to reverberate to give decent bass response with customs, since you basically take the ear canal out of the equation. So, you want to make the crossover even more complicated by trying to connect it so that the impedance isnt an issue? ala line array? sorry any way you look at it not only is it a stupid idea...its fantasy. i do not even think that more than 6 is a good idea, several people that have both jh13 and jh16 report jh13 being the more linear and that makes sense. I have no need to join the driver race, jh13 is fine for me

Quote:
btw, I'll need a upgrade to the cable, I'm hoping to get the frequency range into the 55,000khz range (minimum) would you have cables that would do so? I would gladly pay top $$$$$$$$ if you cryo treated them, you know, throw them into your fridge the day before shipping them off

lamp cord should do the trick, i dont know of a sensible wire that rolls off frequency response that low unless stupidly high capacitance, no cryo required. might be a bit uncomfortable though.

i find it hard to tell here, did you take my post the wrong way or something?  haha just realized how that sounds lol

anyway hopefully we can let the thread die, i wont be coming back.

May 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #295 of 303

Quote:
no, sorry, there are no decent drivers small enough that 20 would not pose a serious problem, didnt you read the first post? require you to meet the criteria....

there also kinda has to be some cavity for air to reverberate to give decent bass response with customs, since you basically take the ear canal out of the equation. So, you want to make the crossover even more complicated by trying to connect it so that the impedance isnt an issue? ala line array? sorry any way you look at it not only is it a stupid idea...its fantasy. i do not even think that more than 6 is a good idea, several people that have both jh13 and jh16 report jh13 being the more linear and that makes sense. I have no need to join the driver race, jh13 is fine for me

lamp cord should do the trick, i dont know of a sensible wire that rolls off frequency response that low unless stupidly high capacitance, no cryo required. might be a bit uncomfortable though.

i find it hard to tell here, did you take my post the wrong way or something?  haha just realized how that sounds lol

anyway hopefully we can let the thread die, i wont be coming back.

The "criteria" was set upon by "fantasy" drivers, or should I say, a bunch of drivers tossed together to give the appearance of 20 drivers.  Impedance matching is not that difficult, if one takes the TWFK 23991 use that particular driver for High/Mids and for the extra high range (4 sets TWFK 23991) and 4 TWFK 60190 for Lower mid to mid/highs (4 sets TWFK 60190).  Those listed TWFK models have an impedance of 120. Combine 2 in a series you, get an impedance of 240. Conect them all up, and the TWFK impedance array should be 60, then take a couple of DTEC 3008 for bass, with an impedance of 30 each, connect in a series, which would yield and impedance of 60. Combine the TWFK array and the DTEC array, in a parallel fashion you would then get an over all impedance of 30 +-.   Balanced Armature drivers are basically enclosed, and have all the required "air space" with in them. Sensaphonics, for example offer their Custom IEMs in silicone only & silicond does not allow Balanced armature drivers to "breathe."

The impedance and the crossover (a couple of capacitors stategically placed) is not the real stumper. It is the tubeing through the canals, that makes me scratch my head.

That said, I am an audiologist, by training, and my hobby is IEMs.  Some folks crochet, some paint, and some folks fish for a hobby.....  me, my hobby is designing and building custom IEMs.

Rather than contemplating if a 20 driver could be made, I gave it a crack, and you can see it at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1743020015221.2090595.1230330436&saved

Yes, that is a finger nail UV light box, but amazingly it does the trick.....

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
May 30, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #296 of 303

Quote:
hey guys, where can i preorder the CT20's? I already scheduled a appointment with my local audiologist to see if I qualify

Quote:

yikes, talk about deep insertion

</sorry>

May 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #297 of 303

Quote:
Oh man, I can't believe they are STILL FALLING FOR THIS!  
deadhorse.gif

anywho....I got my impressions today, unfortunately the post office was closed so I'll have to mail in my impressions tomorrow, anywho, I SUPER excited about this, sleek has already accepted my mortage for my house, car and the family dog (bagel you will be missed...)

May 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #298 of 303

Quote:
anywho....I got my impressions today, unfortunately the post office was closed so I'll have to mail in my impressions tomorrow, anywho, I SUPER excited about this, sleek has already accepted my mortage for my house, car and the family dog (bagel you will be missed...)

Giving up the dog was really going over the top, don't You think! 
eek.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #299 of 303
Obviously you have no place here if you can't notice the $7000 difference.  Geesh!

No offense but I have listened to neither and therefore can't pose much of an opinion but I do know this.

The difference of $10 between skullcandy ink'd and smokin' is huge.
The difference between smokin' and Bose IE is big.
The difference between the Bose IE and my senn IE is middle of the road.

Now the largest price gap there is between the Bose and the Senns by about $250 at MSRP but has the least noticeable sq difference. The best speakers I have listened to are my uncles DQ10s and my cousins sound system in his car (no idea what's in it so don't ask but I think it starts with a V).

From my personal experience the more money you spend on headphones or speakers, the better they will sound (obviously) and the less noticeable the difference is between a slightly lesser costing set up. I believe these would be the best sq in and IEM easy but is it really that big of a difference?

A difference worth $7,000 to someone who only make 40k a year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back