Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Nov 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #348 of 1,671
Thanks Krismusic!

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #350 of 1,671
Right. Let's get back to being grumpy!
I was talking with someone on one of the other forums and aftermarket cables came up.
It occurred to me. If someone is convinced that a cable has improved the sound of their equipment and this is an ongoing perception does it matter if it is psychoacoustics?

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #351 of 1,671
Good day, anyone.
Inviting all the sceptic good sirs to throw poopies in me regarding subjectivism in my threads.
Links are below:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690441/the-need-of-in-depth-sound-science-objectiveness-intro-to-the-sound-science-wall-of-text-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690471/theorycrafting-the-perfect-amp

Thanks for the attention!

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #352 of 1,671
I was talking with someone on one of the other forums and aftermarket cables came up.
It occurred to me. If someone is convinced that a cable has improved the sound of their equipment and this is an ongoing perception does it matter if it is psychoacoustics?

Does it matter if you believe in something that is false? Do you care whether your beliefs are true?

There apparently have been some cases where the stock cable had a few ohms (!) so a different cable with lower resistance could actually cause an increase in volume for example (and we know how that is perceived).
Still doesn't justify the cable maker's claims, pseudoscience, outrageous prices ...

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #353 of 1,671
Does it matter if you believe in something that is false? Do you care whether your beliefs are true?

There apparently have been some cases where the stock cable had a few ohms (!) so a different cable with lower resistance could actually cause an increase in volume for example (and we know how that is perceived).
Still doesn't justify the cable maker's claims, pseudoscience, outrageous prices ...

I completely agree and would not want to give someone my money on that basis.
It was interesting that someone who had spent money on a cable was prepared to accept that his enjoyment may well be the result of placebo but that did not concern him.
A bit of a non argument on my part. Apologies. That way madness lies!

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #354 of 1,671
I completely agree and would not want to give someone my money on that basis.
It was interesting that someone who had spent money on a cable was prepared to accept that his enjoyment may well be the result of placebo but that did not concern him.
A bit of a non argument on my part. Apologies. That way madness lies!

Hello, good sir. How can you speak about "the basis" upon which you give money, when Head-fi doesn't even know what the term High-end sound equipment properly means??? And yes, I'm speaking about sound quality! It's not "tastes&sound_signature"!

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #355 of 1,671
A cable that sounds different from all the other cables is a lousy cable.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #356 of 1,671

Huh. That's actually a good point that I didn't think about before!

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #357 of 1,671
No reason to apologize.
It doesn't seem to be an uncommon position. Only when you ask the person whether they care about their beliefs being true they think about it. Sometimes it seems to be like the first time in their lives.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #358 of 1,671
  A cable that sounds different from all the other cables is a lousy cable.

I agree.

I think two headphone models were measured with a "lousy" stock cable, iirc. Tyll mentioned one and someone else.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #360 of 1,671

It doesn't necessarily. It all depends on whether the particular individual cares or not. Personally I don't. At least not at the end of the day when I'm simply enjoying music, which is what this is all about in the first place.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back