Singxer SU-6
Jan 27, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #977 of 1,018
Yeah yeah, those are convenience things. For me actually a dap would be more convenient cause I also use Trailli. HQplayer I kinda have in my Wandla. For me it’s iPad+su6 or just a N7 dap. End sound quality is what I’m debating:)
You can try connecting USB out from DAP to SU6 and then later connect DAP directly. I feel weight in notes and better bass are few things you might notice from a stable clock.
I feel a device like DDC or DAC should stay stable and warm and that can be achieved with full sized DDC as compared to DAP

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #978 of 1,018
Here to report, 3 years late, that @Xoverman's "fill it with sand" strategy works.
What type of plastic sheet did you use?

I've not yet done this.

I didn't want to use the food wrap cling film as it might perforate and also might adhere to the electronics.

I have some builders membrane but that seems too thick and stiff to fold into and around the parts.

And what sand is best? Silver sand (small balls), render sand (flat interlocking platelets), building sand (larger pieces).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #979 of 1,018
What type of plastic sheet did you use?

I've not yet done this.

I didn't want to use the food wrap cling film as it might perforate and also might adhere to the electronics.

I have some builders membrane but that seems to thick and stiff to fold into and around the parts.
I've used polycro film as a protective insulating shroud for similar if not precisely this in-component experimentation. Polycro is a trade name for a form of XLPE (cross linked polyethene) film, XLPE being used as an insulator on high voltage power lines due to its dielectric characteristics (low DE constant just above PTFE/Teflon and high DE strength).

Also the film is very tough physically as used for window films and ground cloths under ultralight hikers tents. It requires concerted effort to pierce with say a biro pen and is pretty heat resistant too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linked_polyethylene

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #980 of 1,018
Regarding the power supplies for the SU-6.

I tried something today that I've not read anyone else here do.

Unplugged the SU-6 from it's PSU and listened for any changes.

Can't say I heard any. It's a bit loud extraneous noise here so not really hearing the subtle nuances.

The music played for maybe 30 seconds.

Then plug that back in and let it charge the caps.

Then unplug the PSU from the mains socket. I didn't hear any changes there either.

I'm interested to know you're experiences.

Those of you with non stock PSU who did hear a difference from it, if you unplug your PSU from your SU-6, is there a change in sound quality?

What about the unplugging the mains end, and both ends?

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #981 of 1,018
Regarding the power supplies for the SU-6.

I tried something today that I've not read anyone else here do.

Unplugged the SU-6 from it's PSU and listened for any changes.

Can't say I heard any. It's a bit loud extraneous noise here so not really hearing the subtle nuances.

The music played for maybe 30 seconds.

Then plug that back in and let it charge the caps.

Then unplug the PSU from the mains socket. I didn't hear any changes there either.

I'm interested to know you're experiences.

Those of you with non stock PSU who did hear a difference from it, if you unplug your PSU from your SU-6, is there a change in sound quality?

What about the unplugging the mains end, and both ends?

My friend and I tested this with the stock power supply. Didn't hear a difference/degradation in sound quality after unplugging. However, when we tested the Ifi 9V power supply, there was a very noticeable difference in sound (better blackground, more transparent highs, tighter lows), but we did not test unplugging the Ifi.

Feb 26, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #982 of 1,018
Fwiw in my speaker setup, the difference between the stock su6 wall wart vs ferrum hypsos is very noticeable. Even the choice of DC cable has made a difference -- I've tried stock, ghent Gotham, neotech copper in PTFE, and finally settled on Mundorf sgw. Changing output voltage on the hypsos also influences the sound.

Not a surprise, everything makes a difference.

I plan to use it with a Weiss PSU 102.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #983 of 1,018
Could it be due to better earthing from the better cable?

Otherwise is the 20 Farads, or so, not adequate to supply a low wattage device with virtual DC? Is the noise from those caps also not especially low?

Or their Z too high to smooth out the mains borne, or digital, noise?

Could incoming PSU, or cable, noise spread out once inside the SU-6 DC socket, polluting the PCB before the supply voltage is regulated or smoothed?

Could the better sounding cables be cancelling outgoing noise from the SU-6, if there is any, before it's radiated and affects other equipment?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #984 of 1,018
There is a used unit on sale I can buy, the owner says it was bought in 2019, seems to be one of the first batches.
Can there be any degradation in performance of capacitors, other components in 5 years term that I might be aware of?

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #986 of 1,018
singxer.com -> downloads

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #987 of 1,018
It doesn't say which one is the asio file, the instructions say to download 3.2.1 I may have that number wrong but then you update the firmware I have found no to get into the menu to update the firmware whats bad is I had it playing and did something and out the door it went.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #988 of 1,018
On their site the latest driver is: Singxer_USBAudio_v5.68.0_2024-02-13_setup.exe

The driver has integrated ASIO file built in:
SingxerUsbAudioasio.dll (32 bit)
SingxerUsbAudioasio_x64.dll (64 bit)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #990 of 1,018
SU-6 via I2s can go only to DSD512. SU-2 is the one can go to DSD1024.

If you have Jriver see to it that:

Audio device is Singxer USB (ASIO)
1711222657584.png

Bitstreaming is: YES(DSD)
1711222760182.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back